PDA

View Full Version : Repair a Feed?

Rollo the Cat
August 5th, 2012, 01:00 PM
While hacking the channels to my feed I accidentally cut the barrier at the bottom of the channel where the tip of the feed ends on the nib. The groove is not supposed to go all the way through. Now the feed flows too fast.

Is there any way I can repair this? Will application of heat melt the tip and allow me to form a new barrier?

Thanks

inky
August 8th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Hi Rollo,

Take this with a grain of salt but I had good luck repairing a Noodlers ebonite feed where I opened up too many fins by using some silicon grease to plug the channels I cut. This can be a bit dicey since the grease wants to go everywhere if you arn't careful but I used a 10X Loup and a toothpick to apply the grease. If you get too much on the feed you can then wash it water with a soft brush and start over. The only issue I could see happening is if the grease worked its way up into the nib slit and clogged it, it should be easy to clear though.

I've also heard that you can use candle wax to plug cuts in the feed. I'm not sure if I'd use heat to try and form a new barrier, if the feed is plastic it can be pretty easy to deform it altogether. Ebonite tends to have a bit of a memory on it but I'm not sure heat would fuse it back togehter.

Rollo the Cat
August 8th, 2012, 12:05 PM
The candle wax sounds good. I'll give it a try. I was also thinking of a transplant where I take a small piece of the feed from someplace unimportant, put it in the gap and fuse it with heat carefullly. This way i don't risk deforming the whole feed.

KrazyIvan
August 8th, 2012, 02:32 PM
what about sugru?

jor412
August 8th, 2012, 08:39 PM
What interesting solutions. Great for future reference. Thanks, too, for the sugru tip. Looks like it can be used for a whole lot of things.

Pinkys.Brain
August 9th, 2012, 08:18 AM
I also read of bee wax for forming feeds and I'd refrain from using silicone grease in your situation (if I understood it correctly).

Rollo the Cat
August 9th, 2012, 11:03 AM
My God this Sugru! I just googled it. Thanks.

KrazyIvan
August 9th, 2012, 11:47 AM
You are welcome. I know the stuff adheres to a lot of plastics and metal but I don't know how it would work with ebonite, in case someone tries it.

ddustinn
August 10th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Nathan Tardif recommends wax. I don't have any experience in this myself, so I can't be much help.

Rollo the Cat
August 10th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Nathan Tardif recommends wax. I don't have any experience in this myself, so I can't be much help.

Thanks. Do you remember where you saw or heard that from Nathan?

Rollo the Cat
August 16th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Ok, I got some cheap Sugru from ebay and used it the other day. Seems to work fine. I'll update as it sees more use.