PDA

View Full Version : Flat Spot On Nib?

duncan
October 21st, 2012, 07:42 PM
Hi There,

I noticed a flat spot on one of my Diamond 540's. Would this be expected to have any effect on the writing? I don't notice any, but I would like to learn something about nib effects so I am asking your opinion. It is, of course. a steel nib, but the lighting makes it look kind of gold.

Duncan

inky
October 22nd, 2012, 07:55 AM
I don't think the flat spot will cause you any problems. The writing surface of the nib is just forward or where the flat spot appears in the picture and looks to be in good shape. If you had that flat spot on the front of the nib I think you would be lucky to have it writing at all. It would likley lead to hard starting and dry writing behavior if it wrote at all.

duncan
October 22nd, 2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks Inky. I see this flat spot on some other TWSBI nibs and it looks like the tip is formed by melting back the base steel nib material. The melt back slumps a bit forming the flat spot. At least that is my thinking. Anyone know for sure?

KrazyIvan
October 22nd, 2012, 12:06 PM
Yes, no worries on your nib. You do not write with that portion. It's just aesthetics.

fountainpenkid
October 22nd, 2012, 03:47 PM
Yes, no worries on your nib. You do not write with that portion. It's just aesthetics.

unless he writes on a 20 degree angle ;)

KrazyIvan
October 23rd, 2012, 09:25 AM
At that point I think the feed will hit the paper first. :D