PDA

View Full Version : Montblanc fountain flow.

babbaboooey
November 3rd, 2012, 08:17 AM
One of my mb fountains has been having flow issues. Have tried soaking. Dont want to send it out. I like the pen its one of my first mbs. I have to dissassemble the pen prime the converter and then im ok for a bit. To think of it the pen has always had that problem. I have tried changing inks flushing with hot water. I have gently tried lifting the nib to separate a bit. No luck. If it was a pilot or noodlers i would have taked more drastic measures. I plan on taking it to the philly penshow to see if a nibmeister can adjust. Anyone have any thoughts?

jar
November 3rd, 2012, 08:47 AM
Before you do that try this.

Put one or two drops of liquid dish washing detergent in a glass and fill the glass with water. You want a very dilute mixture. Flush the pen and then empty it, then without letting it dry, fill with whatever ink you like.

See if that solves your problem.

babbaboooey
November 3rd, 2012, 09:25 AM
Ok. I did the soap thing but let it dry. I will try it. Thanks

inky
November 3rd, 2012, 05:14 PM
I don't have any MB pens but I have had a few that for whatever reason didn't like certain inks. Just curious, have you tried several ink types in the pen? I usually always reach for a Waterman ink if I'm having flow problems that just aren't being solved by the standard soak and flush methods. If I still have a problem with Waterman in it then I know it's something with the pen. Just my 2 cents though. Someday I hope to own a nice MB, the company I used to work for set up the network connections between all the MB stores stateside. We had no luck getting them to comp us some pens :)

babbaboooey
November 10th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Ok so last night after soaking in soapy water i tried again. Left everything wet inked up with waterman florida blue. Wrote until the feed dried up. Pen dried up. Thats it. Had to open up adjust the converter. I emptied the pen. Sounds like i will have to send it out unless anyone has any other thoughts

jar
November 10th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Ok so last night after soaking in soapy water i tried again. Left everything wet inked up with waterman florida blue. Wrote until the feed dried up. Pen dried up. Thats it. Had to open up adjust the converter. I emptied the pen. Sounds like i will have to send it out unless anyone has any other thoughts

Did you look at the converter before you "adjusted" it?

Was there an air bubble at the feed end of the converter?

Are you sure it really is a Montblanc?

babbaboooey
November 11th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Yes Im sure its a MB. I have over 15 of them. I haven't used it in a long time. it was clean when I put it away. I bought it new from a MB dealer. You can't see feed section when the converter is screwed in. When i said adjust converter, I meant twisting the converter to push ink to the feed fins. THats the only way the pen will keep writing.

jar
November 11th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Yes Im sure its a MB. I have over 15 of them. I haven't used it in a long time. it was clean when I put it away. I bought it new from a MB dealer. You can't see feed section when the converter is screwed in. When i said adjust converter, I meant twisting the converter to push ink to the feed fins. THats the only way the pen will keep writing.

But did you look to see if there was an air bubble blocking the converter?

Have you switched to cartridge to see if the problem continues?

babbaboooey
November 11th, 2012, 04:59 PM
i fill usually with nib in the ink. I will try something else. This is very frustrating. I do have cartridges. GOOD IDEA. thanks. I will try that.

jar
November 11th, 2012, 05:05 PM
i fill usually with nib in the ink. I will try something else. This is very frustrating. I do have cartridges. GOOD IDEA. thanks. I will try that.

Also, when it locks up using the converter, carefully look at the converter and see if there is an air bubble near the feed.