PDA

View Full Version : lamy safari dumps ink

SEBENZA
January 24th, 2013, 09:04 AM
sorry put this in lamy 4rm as well did not notice this forum until after.

anyway my new lamy safari arrived finally , i loaded cartridge in correct , shut body up went to write with it and massive drips of ink started coming out of it , where the nib goes into body at the rear of nib must be seal here ? anyway im not certain never stripped a fountain pen before.

any ideas of problem or how to repair this , and how to remove nib ?

thanks

KrazyIvan
January 24th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Sounds like you have air coming in from the cartridge side. Are you sure you pushed the cartridge in all the way?

SEBENZA
January 24th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Sounds like you have air coming in from the cartridge side. Are you sure you pushed the cartridge in all the way?

i did think i had but ill double check , i left all my cartridges at work so ill try again tomorrow .
thankss hope its that as it write well , good work pen !

fountainpenkid
January 24th, 2013, 02:54 PM
i did think i had but ill double check , i left all my cartridges at work so ill try again tomorrow .
thankss hope its that as it write well , good work pen !

That's what I thought as well. Let us know how it goes.

earthdawn
January 24th, 2013, 11:36 PM

Yup... I bet thats it as well. I have done that too when I was rushing out the door. I use one at work and I was changing the cart EARLY in the morning and thought I pushed it in all the way and thats the result I had. I got to work and went to sign for a bill and dumped and big old blob of ink. Opened it up gave it a push and felt it click down... was good to go after a quick wipe.

SEBENZA
January 25th, 2013, 03:10 AM
hi just tried a new cartridge it pushed down as far as i could force it by hand and still leaked , i then put the cap on the half pen , and pushed the rear of the cartridge against the wall i had to force it very hard and it went down another notch and now works fine.

so you were right , but surly this is a bit to much force to have to put a cartridge in .

KrazyIvan
January 25th, 2013, 09:06 AM
No, it is made to take that force. Keep in mind you are puncturing the plastic of the cartridge while also forcing it onto the feed ink inlet.

SEBENZA
January 25th, 2013, 10:28 AM
yes you probably right KI im sending back though still , it seems and awful lot of force to have to apply , the cartridges are sometimes bending .

probably me though , i have loaded up many before but i see your very experienced in pens so ill accept advice and learn .

KrazyIvan
January 25th, 2013, 12:29 PM
If you buy the converter and use bottled ink, you do not run into that problem. :)

fountainpenkid
January 25th, 2013, 04:41 PM
If you buy the converter and use bottled ink, you do not run into that problem. :)

+1.

snedwos
January 25th, 2013, 05:29 PM
And bottled ink is, you know, just better. Because there's EVERY COLOUR. Except Lamy Violet, annoyingly.