PDA

View Full Version : Can't unscrew pen...

Dovah
May 1st, 2013, 02:28 PM
I have a fountain pen that I haven't used in about 6 months. It still writes great, but I have no idea how much ink is in it and I can't unscrew the nib/grip portion to check. I don't know who screwed it on, but it's stuck on good and I don't want to ruin the nib.

Is there any way for me to loosen it and unscrew it without ruining the nib?

KrazyIvan
May 1st, 2013, 02:29 PM
What pen is this?

Dovah
May 1st, 2013, 02:31 PM
It's this one: http://www.amazon.com/Nemosine-Singularity-Blueberry-Fountain-Pen/dp/B007L4XFOG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1367440216&sr=8-6&keywords=nemosine

KrazyIvan
May 1st, 2013, 02:33 PM
Hold the black section (just above the nib) and unscrew the barrel. You don't want to pull/twist the nib on that one unless you need to clean or swap out the nib.

If it has been sitting around for a while, it may have leaked inside the pen (you never know). You can dunk it in a glass of water to where the water just goes above the black section and let it soak if it does not unscrew easily. Maybe 10-15 minutes at first. Just know that any ink left is probably going to get diluted and may be unusable after that.

Dovah
May 1st, 2013, 02:35 PM
That's what I've been trying to do, but it's stuck. I would never try to unscrew the nib itself :P

KrazyIvan
May 1st, 2013, 02:37 PM
I edited my post above to add some more info.

Sailor Kenshin
May 1st, 2013, 02:46 PM
What KI said. I have three Nemos, three different nibs, and who knows, yours may have some dried ink going on in the threads.

Did you get this pen from someone else? IWO, used?

Dovah
May 1st, 2013, 02:46 PM
I try letting it sit in water. I did run it under warm water already, but for no more than 2 minutes :3

Edit:
Pen was new when I bought it.

UK Mike
May 7th, 2013, 05:01 PM
There is a certain weirdness about the threads of Nemosine Singularity pens where the cap sometimes unscrews and leave the nib section still in the cap. Annoying and this was noted in Prof Brown's YouTube video review. I think the problem is a coarse pitch thread between section and barrel which can generate large compression forces for not much rotation.

Best suggestion I can make is to warm the barrel section ONLY in warm water then using something grippy like a silicone rubber pan grip or even rubber gloves, just unscrew the grip section using whatever force is necessary. You can wrap rubber bands around the section and barrel to get more grip also. If that still doesn't work you maybe need to try very well padded and carefully used pliers or grips - but this is a last resort as it is very easy to squeeze too hard and destroy the pen. In every case, a little rubber packing will give you more grip and may just break the friction of the joint.

Good luck!