PDA

View Full Version : Greg Minuskin 1.1 Re-tip on a Lamy 2000 “F” Nib

inky
May 15th, 2013, 09:15 AM
First a little background on my Lamy 2000 and why I needed a re-tip. When I first bought the pen, the fine nib was pretty scratchy. I sent the nib to someone (not Greg) and had it ground down to a Fine Stub. I liked the nib okay but this was right around the time that I realized I liked a slightly wider line. The tipping was mostly gone after the initial grinding down and I ground it down a bit more after I accidentally damaged the nib cleaning the pen.

Enter Greg Minuskin. I had always heard about his re-tips and actually own a Waterman Ideal with a Fine flex that I purchased from his website. I sent him a message asking if he could work on the Lamy 2000 nib. He replied almost immediately and said that it would be no problem and warned me that the re-tipping may discolor the rhodium. I said I didn’t mind if it became discolored and boxed up just the nib and sent it the next day which was either a Thursday or a Friday so I wasn’t expecting the nib to reach him until the next week.

To my surprise, He sent me an email on the day the nib was supposed to arrive according to the post office. I thought it was just going to be a notice that the nib had arrived but he had completed the re-tip! The close up photos of the nib are from Greg (used in the post with his permission.) The nib arrived at my house in a couple days after that.

Folks, let me tell you, this nib is awesome! I’ve used a few stub nibs but this one is a perfect 1.1mm stub and the flow is amazing. I would put the flow at about a 8.5/10 and the Lamy feed has no problems keeping up with the nib. I did not have to do any adjustment to the nib after fitting it back in the pen. It just writes and writes very well! The super smooth nib that glides across the paper like butter. There is just the slightest bit of discoloration but I don’t mind it at all. The pictures make it look more severe than it really is. In person, you can hardly tell there is any discoloration at all.

Greg turned a pen that was getting very little use into one that has been in my daily carry case from the day it got back. The re-tipping price including shipping was far less then purchasing a new Lamy 2000, and it took far less time that I was expecting. If you have any nibs that need to be re-tipped or even that just need work done, do yourself a favor and drop Greg a line. You will be very happy with the results!

KrazyIvan
May 15th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Wow, great job Greg. Thank you for sharing Inky!

Greg Minuskin
May 15th, 2013, 11:05 AM

Thank you! Yes, it is really a great review, and I appreciate the excellent write up Mike did for his Lamy retip!

Greg Minuskin
www.gregminuskin.com
greg@gregminuskin.com

jacksterp
May 15th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Talk about perfection - remarkable!

Jon Szanto
May 15th, 2013, 01:12 PM
The guy's a wizard. I bet he even has a pointy hat.

inky
May 15th, 2013, 02:59 PM

You're welcome!

inky
May 15th, 2013, 03:00 PM

Thank you! Yes, it is really a great review, and I appreciate the excellent write up Mike did for his Lamy retip!

Greg Minuskin
www.gregminuskin.com
greg@gregminuskin.com

Greg, you're welcome for the review! Thank you for making it possible! :)

bluejay
May 15th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Does the nib look that rough after his cleanup? Lots of residue on the nib. I had a minuskin nib I found the nib wavey. I'd like to see a comparison to the lamy 1.1 stub factory.

earthdawn
May 15th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Greg is "The Man" !!!!

That nib looks fat and juicy... what a line it lays down.

Thanks for taking the time to do a great review with pics.

Jon Szanto
May 15th, 2013, 11:16 PM
I have a Minuskin-done stub on a Sheaffer Triumph nib. Lovely. Pretty big, so I don't use it constantly, but I like it.

My comment earlier about wizardry goes far beyond his just creating these stubs and whatnot. If you really want to see his magic, go to his site and hunt around for the nibs he has brought back from the dead. Not only cracked nibs, but I recall one that was actually in two pieces!

Bogon07
May 16th, 2013, 04:54 AM
Does the nib look that rough after his cleanup? Lots of residue on the nib. I had a minuskin nib I found the nib wavey. I'd like to see a comparison to the lamy 1.1 stub factory.

I'm not sure if Lamy offers a factory stub on the 2000 ? Lamy has 1.1 italic nibs for their other pens such as the Joy, Safari, Studio etc which are slightly different to the 2000 nibs. Mine look completely flat & don't seem to have any tipping under 8x magnification.

inky
May 16th, 2013, 06:02 AM

When I received the nib I didn't notice any of the darker spots on it. Keep in mind that some of the plating loss is from the original grind and my repair attempt as mentioned in my review. Once the nib is in the pen, you really cannot see any of the working marks on it, if you flip the pen over all you see is the slight loss of Rhodium on the underside of the nib. With that said, all that really mattered to me anyway was the writing surface and that is amazing.

Also, The picture of the comparison of writing samples in the review is between the original fine stub regrind before I damaged the nib and sent it to Greg.

As far as I know there is no factory stub for the Lamy 2000 pens. They do come in OM, OB, BB, and OBB in Europe but here state side they typically only come in EF, F, M, B. Also a handful of nibs from Lamy 27, 88 and 90 series pens will fit the 2000.