PDA

View Full Version : Feed doesn't have good contact with nib What can I do?

ndw76
May 16th, 2013, 06:05 AM
This is the nib and feed of my Mabie Todd Blackbird. It is having flow issues because the feed doesn't have good contact with the nib. At some stage in its life the point of the nib has contacted something hard. In the instruction it says that to get the ink flowing you should shake it a little. I imagine some one may have bumped the nib against the paper.

So I'm not sure if the feed has changed shape over the years or if the slight bend in the nib is affecting contact between the nib and feed.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? I have pushed the feed a little further forward, but this only makes it contact at the very edge and the ink flow still isn't as good as I think it could be.275827592760

Deb
May 16th, 2013, 06:25 AM
Hi Nathan,
Yes, there's too much of a gap there. The cure is to pour some boiling water into a small container ( I use an eggcup) and immerse the nib and feed (but not the section) in the boiling water for thirty seconds or so. Then, with your thumb and forefinger, firmly squeeze the nib and feed together. Keep it like that for around a minute until it has cooled. The black hard rubber feed will now be reset to the shape of the nib.

inky
May 16th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Are you able to push the feed gently further into the section? I have an old Swan eyedropper with a generic nib in it that needed to have the feed pushed in further for it to make contact with the nib. If it's a tight fit I wouldn't try it but if the feed moves freely it might be worth a shot.

The feeds on the Swan pens I've seen are ebonite so it would be possible to warm it and shape it to the nib but that is delicate work and not something I'd try without practicing on a cheaper Noodlers pen or junk pen.

That is a pretty big gap there. Maybe someone with a little more experience with an issue like this will chime in shortly!

ndw76
May 16th, 2013, 06:52 AM
The hot water looks like it has done the trick. I will ink it up and see how it performs.

Thanks for the help.

Deb
May 16th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Actually, resetting a feed to a nib isn't especially delicate. Anyone can do it. On the other hand, trying to bend a nib to the feed is just plain bad practice.

jacksterp
May 16th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Good luck Nathan - looks like you got it sorted.

Please post a writing sample if you can.

inky
May 16th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Looks good in the second set of pictures. Hopefully that'll be all you needed!