PDA

View Full Version : Pen Hack and Frankenpen again...HELP!!

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
May 23rd, 2013, 05:17 PM
So I scored a very inexpensive Waterman 52 for parts, and now have a nib to try in my Noodler's Creaper body. The Waterman had no cap, and obviously would need some further work (sac replacement) so I feel okay about eviscerating it...but how? How should I go about pulling the nib? Soak it first and then rock it back and forth with my fingers? Is there a way to knock it out? Not sure how to proceed and don't want to bend the nib!

TIA!

jbb
May 23rd, 2013, 05:34 PM
Nice!!! I'm glad you found something so quickly. If it were me, I'd try gently wiggling the nib and feed first.... on the off chance that it might just want to wiggle right out. :crazy_pilot: Second would be soaking and then wiggling.

Disclaimer: I'm not any sort of expert in this area... this is just how I'd proceed.

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
May 23rd, 2013, 06:12 PM
Nice!!! I'm glad you found something so quickly. If it were me, I'd try gently wiggling the nib and feed first.... on the off chance that it might just want to wiggle right out. :crazy_pilot: Second would be soaking and then wiggling.

Disclaimer: I'm not any sort of expert in this area... this is just how I'd proceed.

Sorta what I was thinking, too, jbb! It doesn't seem to want to wiggle...maybe dried ink!

Brian Anderson
May 24th, 2013, 01:30 PM
Do not try to wiggle it out, you could risk damaging the nib. The best, and proper, method is to use a knock out block, either one specifically designed for the purpose or even a block of wood with an appropriately drilled hole in it. Make sure it is wide enough for the sides of the nib to clear, but narrow enough for the section to rest comfortably on, and tall enough for the feed and nib to be knocked out. To short and you'll either break the feed or nib or both. You can use an old drill bit, flat end down of course, and a small hobby hammer. Tap lightly until you get a feel for how tight or stuck it may be. Best bet is to run water through the section to loosen up any old dried ink. If you don't, you risk breaking the section trying to knock out the nib.

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
May 24th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Do not try to wiggle it out, you could risk damaging the nib. The best, and proper, method is to use a knock out block, either one specifically designed for the purpose or even a block of wood with an appropriately drilled hole in it. Make sure it is wide enough for the sides of the nib to clear, but narrow enough for the section to rest comfortably on, and tall enough for the feed and nib to be knocked out. To short and you'll either break the feed or nib or both. You can use an old drill bit, flat end down of course, and a small hobby hammer. Tap lightly until you get a feel for how tight or stuck it may be. Best bet is to run water through the section to loosen up any old dried ink. If you don't, you risk breaking the section trying to knock out the nib.

Thanks Brian...at this point I can't get the body apart to be able to knock from the inside...it is a VERY strange little pen, think I'm going to have to take a photo!

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
May 25th, 2013, 04:20 PM
It worked! I soaked the old Waterman in warm water for two days, finally ran warmer water of the nib and wiggled it free...it fit right into my Noodler's Creaper using the Noodler's feed, and it works like a charm. Lovely, flexy nib...

jbb
May 25th, 2013, 04:24 PM
YAY!!!!

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
May 26th, 2013, 07:02 AM
YAY!!!! Thanks, and YES! I've already done too sketches with it...fun!

Sailor Kenshin
May 26th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Pics, or it didn't happen! ;-p

Seriously...would LOVE to see sketch and pen results both.

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
May 26th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Pics, or it didn't happen! ;-p

Seriously...would LOVE to see sketch and pen results both.

Will do! I actually took photos yesterday...

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
May 26th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Here's the old Waterman 52 nib in its new home...a Noodler's Creaper. Fun sketching tool! 302030213022302330243025

jbb
May 26th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Wow! I love your drawings!

jbb
May 26th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Will the original barrel from the nib polish up? It's pretty and you could re-purpose it as a dip pen holder.

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
May 26th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Wow! I love your drawings! Thank you, jbb! I"ve added these and one more to my album.

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
May 26th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Will the original barrel from the nib polish up? It's pretty and you could re-purpose it as a dip pen holder.

I think it will, and that's just what I plan to do with it! It's awfully short, so not really comfortable to use, but it IS pretty.

Sailor Kenshin
May 26th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Wow! I love your drawings!

Ditto! Kitteh.... ^^

jor412
May 26th, 2013, 07:10 PM
I'm really enjoying your sketches :) Love the Waterman too.

Cathy Johnson (Kate)
June 2nd, 2013, 07:01 AM
Thanks all! I added another one to my album here...