PDA

View Full Version : Trials and tribulations of being left handed.

Mod_wolves
May 26th, 2013, 01:56 PM
I've decided to start dabbling in pen restoration and I've got a question just out of curiosity when Playing with nibs. Ive bought pen repair (Jim Marshall and Laurence Oldfield) I've restored a waterman 503 pen which had a snapped nib tip to working order. I had to snip off the point and smooth it to get it writing. I've done all the nib smoothing which has produced a lovely oblique right nib. I asked my girlfriend (who I'm trying to convince that fountain pens are the future) to give it a go and she can't even get a line from it because obviously it is a for a left handed person. I've bought a packet of hero fountain pens from eBay and once I've played around with the nibs and done with them I've thought I would give them to people on here who is just willing to pay from post and packaging to tell me what they think.

My question is do you think my left handed orientation will ruin the nib for the majority (right handed users)? I know when doing the nib I can use my right hand to smooth the nib and will need the other half to do the writing to give me an idea whether it writes well. But will it be a huge burden carrying out my dream of amateur nib restoration or reorientation?

Also is any one even willing to take some practice pens to do a review of it for me? It's better to get a review from experienced fp users rather than myself who...lets face it will be biased to my own work.