PDA

View Full Version : Conway Stewart 84 How to get the section off

Paul-H
May 30th, 2013, 02:58 AM
Hi Guys

I have just taken delivery of a Conway Stewart 84 that was described as in full working order but once received obviously needs a new sac, so once again need a little help.

On these pens how is the section held in, I have tried gentle warming but that has not helped.

How do you get these pens apart to replace the sac.

Thanks again

Paul

cedargirl
May 30th, 2013, 03:23 AM
More gentle warming and a lot of patience.

Deb
May 30th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Hi Paul,
The section is friction fit. As cedargirl says, more gentle heat and patience will do the job. The amount of heat you want to apply is enough to make the barrel expand very slightly. This also makes the plastic of the barrel less likely to break as you remove the section. It isn't easy to judge the first time you try it, but it becomes easier with practice. If it's too hot to touch, it's too hot!

Miss Thundercat
May 30th, 2013, 08:56 AM
I also have trouble to remove sections from the barrel with some pens. And here comes my first repair newbie question, how do you gently warm the section? just by leaving it in a warm soak where the section part is immersed in? or do you use some kind of heating tool...?

PS; Deb, good to see you here :) I've bought a few of your Swans and enjoying your blog posts :)

Deb
May 30th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Hi Miss Thundercat! Glad you enjoy the blog. Personally, I'm not fond of soaking. I prefer dry heat. It tends to assist the fading of black hard rubber sections, and even when the pen is immersed only up to the section, moisture often gets into the innards of the pen, which Is Not A Good Thing. I use a heat gun but for this job a hairdrier will do.

Paul-H
May 31st, 2013, 06:12 AM
Thanks for all the replies

I bit more heat from the use of a heat gun did the trick.:)

Re the soaking in warm water, did I read somewhere that Conway Stewart pens are made from a material that could be damaged by contact with water, I thought I read that it was made from a derivative of milk. Unless I read that bit wrong.

Paul

Miss Thundercat
May 31st, 2013, 08:00 AM
thanks very much for the reply Deb! I do have a heatgun so I'll try to use that with caution and avoid the warm water soaking.

Paul, I was more talking in general terms on how to gently heat sections but wow I had no idea about that fact of CS vintage pens!

Deb
May 31st, 2013, 08:19 AM
You're thinking of casein, Paul. You're correct on both counts. It is made from milk proteins and it can be irreparably damaged by immersion in water. Only some Conway Stewarts are made from casein, however; most are made from celluloid, including the 84.

Paul-H
May 31st, 2013, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the update Deb.

Paul

Annie
May 31st, 2013, 01:20 PM
Whenever I'm faced with an old CS, I assume it is casin and never ever soak it. Replacing the sac isn't a problem. The fun starts with a floating pressure bar and getting the angle of the dangle on the lever to re-insert that sucker (yes, I said sucker) has to be just right. I'm better at it now and swear less than the first few I worked on.