PDA

View Full Version : 1920's Parker DuoFold Overhaul

Chi Town
June 11th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Hi, I am getting ready, for the 1st time, to do a button filler overhaul, on a 1920's Parker Duofold Red Hard Rubber Fountain Pen. I have never done a button filler of any kind in the past and would appreciate any and all comments to help me with this repair. I am not ignorant to pen repairs as I have done 5 snorkels recently, as well as some Parker Vac's and the mundan lever filler's. Thanks for any help,

fountainpenkid
June 12th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Hi,

Duofolds are great pens, and they're pretty simple to restore. The restoration is almost exactly like the lever filler...scrape off old sac, glue new one in (hopefully a silicone one), let dry for 30 minutes, then you're ready to go. If you know how to restore lever fillers than you know how to restore a Duofold. The section screws in to the barrel, and will most likely need heat applied to get the threads unstuck. The cap of the Duofold is easy to clean as well: the black top cap unscrews and so you can wash the inner cap(which is attached to the cap top) and clean the whole cap very easily when you need to. It also allows you to easily fix a sprung clip. The nib and feed are press fit in, so if necessary, you might need to knock the nib assembly out.

Hope that helped a little!

Chi Town
June 12th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Done deal! I fixed 1 1/2 so far today! I have another 6 or so to go ....Thanks for the help......Both of the ones I tackled today were the Parker 1920's Red Hard Rubber versions....

fountainpenkid
June 12th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Done deal! I fixed 1 1/2 so far today! I have another 6 or so to go ....Thanks for the help......Both of the ones I tackled today were the Parker 1920's Red Hard Rubber versions....

You're welcome! Maybe you could post a picture once the jobs are done!

kirchh
June 13th, 2013, 05:43 AM
Duofolds are great pens, and they're pretty simple to restore. The restoration is almost exactly like the lever filler...scrape off old sac, glue new one in (hopefully a silicone one), let dry for 30 minutes, then you're ready to go. If you know how to restore lever fillers than you know how to restore a Duofold.
Not so. To properly restore the filler on a Duofold or similar pen, the pressure bar must be removed and reinstalled so that there is no risk of the sac catching on it and becoming twisted as the section is screwed back in after re-sacing. To accomplish this, the button needs to be pulled so that the pressure bar can be slid back into place from the rear of the barrel after the section is screwed in, and then the button is snapped back in. If the feed has its Lucky Curve intact, the pressure bar should be installed on the opposite side from where the feed contacts the interior wall of the sac per Parker's instructions.

--Daniel

fountainpenkid
June 13th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Duofolds are great pens, and they're pretty simple to restore. The restoration is almost exactly like the lever filler...scrape off old sac, glue new one in (hopefully a silicone one), let dry for 30 minutes, then you're ready to go. If you know how to restore lever fillers than you know how to restore a Duofold.
Not so. To properly restore the filler on a Duofold or similar pen, the pressure bar must be removed and reinstalled so that there is no risk of the sac catching on it and becoming twisted as the section is screwed back in after re-sacing. To accomplish this, the button needs to be pulled so that the pressure bar can be slid back into place from the rear of the barrel after the section is screwed in, and then the button is snapped back in. If the feed has its Lucky Curve intact, the pressure bar should be installed on the opposite side from where the feed contacts the interior wall of the sac per Parker's instruction
--Daniel
Yeah...I knew that...I forgot to include it.

Chi Town
July 8th, 2013, 01:41 AM
Here are pictures. From my 1920's Parker DuoFold overhaul!

kirchh
July 8th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Note that Duofold does not have an upper-case 'F'.

--Daniel