PDA

View Full Version : Cheat pen restoration

pedestrian
June 28th, 2013, 02:43 PM
A while ago I discovered this pen thrown around a draw...
It was a cheap Chinese pen with a marble body and oak cap finished with chromed fittings.
The nib was damaged and tines blended apart. Moreover the ink cartridge was damaged and leaked blocking off the feed and leaving horrible strains in the body.
so this morning I decided to dive the body into a weak bleached solution and restore the feed.
As the nib was completely damaged and I had a spare semi-flex steel nib from fountainpenrevolution I decided to try a swap...
First attempt was a completely fail. The nibīs body diameter was just too big to generate enough pressure against the feed so the ink didnīt flow at all...
Then I decided to cut part of the body of an old falcon nib from a drip pen and press it between the penīs nib holder and the nib so it created extra pressure...
And voilá! after converting it into an eyedropper, the pen works perfectly! Some work needs to be done in the feed to allow more flow as the previous nib was extra fine and this is medium. Also as the nib has some flex, the feed canīt just deliver enough ink so this weekend Iīll do some work around it.
After 20 mins of work and 7 pounds spent on a nib and some silicon grease, I have a semi-flex pen that behaves very well for everyday use

jacksterp
June 28th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Congratulations - nice job.

What it may lack in elegance it makes up for in use.

pedestrian
June 29th, 2013, 05:08 AM
As I had to do some work with the feed, I also decided to tweek a little bit the nib and give it some polish...

Sailor Kenshin
June 29th, 2013, 01:04 PM
You got a fascinating pen out of this. Congrats!

pedestrian
June 30th, 2013, 03:45 AM
Thanks! I guess the message is:
If you have a pen you love, whatever the reason is, but it doesnīt write as youīd like, you donīt need to be a rocket scientist to make it work right again and itīs definitely worthwhile

pedestrian
June 30th, 2013, 03:47 AM