PDA

View Full Version : Can Cracks In Lacquer Be Repaired?

pajaro
July 6th, 2013, 08:45 AM
I have a black Parker Sonnet with a lacque finish, and it has a crack or split going up about a quarter of an inch from the lip. Can this be repaired? Thanks.

jacksterp
July 6th, 2013, 12:18 PM
I don't see why not.

One of the hardest parts of applying lacquer is applying it uniformly and keeping it from running. One way to do this is to turn the piece slowly with the freshly applied lacquer on a horizontal axis while the lacquer dries. An automated turning device is almost a must. Think of a barbeque spit turning a piece of meat.

john
July 6th, 2013, 12:59 PM
I have a black Parker Sonnet with a lacque finish, and it has a crack or split going up about a quarter of an inch from the lip. Can this be repaired? Thanks.If you don't know what kind of lacquer which Parker using for finish, I think the nail polish can fix the crack. This process which I use to touch up the electric guitar finish. You can also try CA. After the new layer is harden, you can wet sanding for levelling the crack, and polish it with some fine polish compound.

pajaro
July 6th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Thank you both for the info. This will take some thought and planning. You have given me a good start. Thanks.