PDA

View Full Version : longevity of stub without tipping material

fncll
July 10th, 2013, 02:37 PM
What's the practical longevity of a stub steel nib that is ground without the tipping material (aka the snip and smooth)? I'm assuming a few years as part of a regular rotation...it just doesn't seem that the action on the paper is going to take that much material off without a *lot* of writing...

tandaina
July 10th, 2013, 02:59 PM
I'm guessing it'd still be longer than our lifetimes. Paper vs metal is a battle metal will win in the long run, especially lubricated by ink? Might need smoothing more often, but seems like it'd last a very long time.

whych
July 10th, 2013, 03:07 PM
I'm guessing it'd still be longer than our lifetimes. Paper vs metal is a battle metal will win in the long run, especially lubricated by ink? Might need smoothing more often, but seems like it'd last a very long time.
It also depends on the nib material. A steel nib will last a lot longer than an 18k gold one.
Assuming it's a nib with the tipping intact, and depending on the original nib thickness, you may want to try just grinding the tip to a stub and keeping most of the tipping material. Use a decent tool grade sandstone for the grinding.
Experiment on a cheap nib first.

Sailor Kenshin
July 10th, 2013, 04:25 PM
What's the practical longevity of a stub steel nib that is ground without the tipping material (aka the snip and smooth)? I'm assuming a few years as part of a regular rotation...it just doesn't seem that the action on the paper is going to take that much material off without a *lot* of writing...

I did one or two. By luck, they write reeeallly well!

AndyT
July 10th, 2013, 05:57 PM
There's nothing to stop you just resharpening it every now and then until the feed prevents you from writing with it I suppose. I did this to a cheap cartridge pen (we're talking £0.50, new) and left it with something very close to a knife edge ... despite the steel being some sort of easily bent, low durability stainless alloy there's been no sign of the cross strokes thickening after a year or so of occasional use. So yes, a good few years of life, probably. Lots of fun to write with actually, well worth finding something suitably disposable and having a play.

Jon Szanto
July 10th, 2013, 06:24 PM
I'll buy you a drink when it wears out. ;)