PDA

View Full Version : Writing a little dry?

historicink
July 18th, 2013, 06:46 PM
I have a parker 88 rialto which is nos but I notice is writing a faint black and dry looking. I am using parker quink black ink. What causes this and what can I do I like this pen but if I had it write a little better it be great

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

AndyT
July 18th, 2013, 06:58 PM
In my experience (which isn't very recent) black Quink does tend to write a bit dry. Conversely Waterman black tends to flow quite enthusiastically, so if you can get a fill of that it you may find that you like the pen a lot better. At any rate, the ink is the easiest variable to change, so my advice is simply to try something different.

dr.grace
July 19th, 2013, 12:33 PM
New pens often seem to write dry, for various reasons. If trying a different ink doesn't help, you might have to a) flush out the pen with dilute ammonia to get rid of manufacturing oils that impede proper ink flow and/or b) adjust the nib tines for wetter flow.

Annie
July 19th, 2013, 01:39 PM
New pens often seem to write dry, for various reasons. If trying a different ink doesn't help, you might have to a) flush out the pen with dilute ammonia to get rid of manufacturing oils that impede proper ink flow and/or b) adjust the nib tines for wetter flow.

+1 on this. If this pen has been sitting around for a long time I think it's essential to flush repeatedly after an overnight soak. I would then use a slightly diluted ink, any of the Diamine inks except possibly Ancient Copper or Majestic Blue. If that doesn't improve the ink flow, it's time to look at tweaking the nib.

historicink
July 19th, 2013, 04:15 PM
Are there any videos on doing this

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

AndyT
July 19th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Yes. Try searching SBRE Brown's Youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeWDDbfQxKv0Cgq_UNpwYpA), or Ink Nouveau (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPdFDFTd6P1a__tAr8CrpCQ). Flushing a new pen with either a weak detergent solution or 10% ammonia is definitely good standard practice, but flush again repeatedly with clean water afterwards. If you're new to this sort of thing I'd hang fire on nib tine adjustments for the time being until you thoroughly understand what you're setting out to achieve ... there's some rather dubious advice doing the rounds on the web in my opinion.

cedargirl
July 19th, 2013, 06:08 PM
In my experience (which isn't very recent) black Quink does tend to write a bit dry.

My experience is recent - Quink Black is dry.