PDA

View Full Version : Lamy Safari Clip?

manoeuver
January 11th, 2012, 03:51 PM
I'm merciless with pens. I'm merciless with everything I guess. I have to buy the ruggedized bomb-proof cell phone for gosh sakes.
A popular abuse of mine is to somehow pull the clip so it won't grip anything anymore. Wracked my Pelikan Go clip that way (anybody remember those? ugly as hell but I loved that pen.)

So has anybody here successfully fixed the clip on a safari? just wondering.

thanks

eriquito
January 12th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Hey manoeuver!

My fix for the Safari clip isn't for everyone. I remove it =)

Eric
Son of Ragnar

manoeuver
January 13th, 2012, 06:37 AM
that would take care of it now wouldn't it?

eriquito
January 13th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Clipless is he way to go =)

manoeuver
January 14th, 2012, 07:25 AM
How do you carry your pen with you? I clip it to my shirt pocket if I'm wearing an Oxford (usually.) The clip is rather handy then. other than that it's in a pants or jacket pocket where the clip is less helpful. I really use the clips on my pens- that's why they take the damage they do!

eriquito
January 14th, 2012, 10:07 PM
I only rarely wear a shirt with a pocket, and when I do, that's where my iPhone would live.

My pens go in a pen case, of which I have four or five of various capacities, and the pen case goes in either my messenger bag (if I'm out and about with my laptop) or my camera bag (if I'm out and about with that item).

There was a time when the pen case would have been in my brief case, but I've not carried one of those for many a moon.

But speaking of brief cases! Have you seen the 42 Pen Briefcase (http://fpgeeks.com/2012/01/markiaro-leather-products-for-2011-12-includes-a-stunning-42-pen-briefcase/)? No clips required =)

Eric
Son of Ragnar

Tracy Lee
January 15th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I have a zip portfolio made by Libelle that holds 12. I carry it with me everywhere, and it gives them all a little better protection on the motorcycle, too.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

eriquito
January 15th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Did someone say motorcycle? Details please =)

Tracy Lee
January 15th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Unconventional lady lawyer who rides a Honda Shadow Aero 750 almost every day to her most interesting job working for NASA. :-) My pens are always with me and I worried about vibration at first but no ill effects as far as I can tell. Occasional small drops of ink escape, but it can't be helped. It's my crazy little life!

manoeuver
January 16th, 2012, 08:15 AM
that's awesome. maybe someday I'll get a motorcycle. for now I'm always hauling too much stuff.

Tracy Lee
January 16th, 2012, 08:41 AM
:) I have the biggest saddle bags you've seen, and just added a trunk. I am like Mary Poppins when i get to work, pulling out everything. Pens, ink, it is all with me!

dannzeman
January 20th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Unconventional lady lawyer who rides a Honda Shadow Aero 750 almost every day to her most interesting job working for NASA. :-) My pens are always with me and I worried about vibration at first but no ill effects as far as I can tell. Occasional small drops of ink escape, but it can't be helped. It's my crazy little life!

Fountain pens? Motorcycles? NASA? You just became my new best friend!

BK_Starkey
January 20th, 2012, 08:54 AM
I don't mean to hijack, but has someone fixed the clip on the LAMY? I have an Al_Star whose cap has just fallen apart.

Also..I see people mentioning cases. I have an older one (nylon) from Tran products (bought it from Pendemonium several years ago) and can't find them any more. Where have you folks gotten yours?

Tracy Lee
January 21st, 2012, 05:55 AM
Dannzeman - LOL :D:cool:

Tracy Lee
January 21st, 2012, 05:58 AM
I have a zip portfolio case that holds 12 pens. I got mine from the fine folks at Goldspot Pens. It is made by Libelle. I also have a leather wrap that holds 5 and rolls up with a strap and Velcro to hold.

John the Monkey
January 29th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I can't vouch for this method, but could be worth a try? From a thread on FPN;

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=107634

Also, riding to work at NASA on a motorcycle - HOW COOL?!?!?!

Tracy Lee
January 29th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Well, John, I could certainly have a way worse life! :) Kennedy Space Center is such a beautiful place to work and no better way to get there. I didn't start riding the motorcycle until my late 30s, but found fountain pens at about 30. Either way, I am making up for lost time! :D

klpeabody
February 2nd, 2012, 08:35 AM
Good for you. That is very cool. I see nothing wrong with being unconventional! I really wish I lived in a region of the country that will permit me to ride a Vespa to work every day. No such luck here in New England. =)

klpeabody
February 2nd, 2012, 08:38 AM
Fountain pens? Motorcycles? NASA? You just became my new best friend!

lol. ditto!

Tracy Lee
February 2nd, 2012, 07:37 PM
You guys are great, make a girl feel loved! :o

inky
April 10th, 2012, 08:00 AM
In case anyone is still looking for a fix for the Lamy Safari clip; I was able to fix mine. Basically what I did was the following.

1. Jammed a ballpoint pen into the Innercap and with a rocking motion pulled out the inner cap.
2. With the inner cap out, the plastic Jewel on the top of the cap is loose and wobbly, I pushed it out of the cap from the inside with the same ballpoint pen.
3. The clip is worked into the side of the Cap though a couple of holes, you can work one side out of the cap and then the other.
4. You will see that the clip actually wraps around the joint of the inner rubber cap and the jewel and is trapped in the cap by them.
5. Gently bend the portion of the clip that wraps around the joint down and then test fit it into the cap.
6. Trial and Error will yeild the correct amount of bending the clip to provide pressure.
7. Once you are happy, place the clip back into the holes and run the inner clip almost all the way back into place, you will have to play with the placment of the clip in order for the rubber inner cap to clear so the jewel can mate back with it.
8. Once the rubber cap is in place, press the jewel back down into the hole, it should seat properly, if not try rotating the jewel with a coin while pressing the inner cap up with the end of a ballpoint (blunt end).
9. All set!

Sorry for the lengthy post. This is probably along the same lines of the FPN post mentioned before but I just did this on my own to see if I could :)