PDA

View Full Version : Pelikan 120 nib collar cracked

cedargirl
July 31st, 2013, 10:43 PM
I have a Pelikan 120 - Type 1 from the 1950-60s (not the Merz and Krell Type 2). I've just taken the nib, feed and nib collar out and have found that the nib collar is cracked.

My initial concern was what is the correct adhesive to use to glue the nib collar. It is a clear plastic material, maybe acrylic?

But on closer examination, I think I have a bigger problem. There is no way I can close the nib collar around the nib and feed without the crack opening up. It just doesn't seem to fit.
As soon as I try to close it around the nib and feed there is a gap along the crack line. I'm thinking this is why it cracked in the first place, maybe.

Do you think I might have the wrong collar fitted and that's why it cracked? The nib appears to be correct and the feed is an ebonite longitudinal finned feed, not the plastic comb feed in later 120s.

BTW the section also has a crack, so I need to fix that too.

Any help or suggestions here would be most appreciated.

pajhurley
August 6th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Hi Cedargirl,
I am experiencing the same issue with my 1950s 400NN - the nib collar is plastic and snapped in half.

I posted a question on the FPGeek Pelikan forum and have been uploading information on resolving the issue.
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/3520-Vintage-Pelikan-400NN-advice-for-repair

My understanding is that the Pelikan 120 is very similar to the 140.
If this is the case you may want to check out a site I found when working on my 400NN.
http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/pendoctor/22.htm

To fix the issue I ordered (and am now awaiting delivery) an inexpensive M200 nib unit from Richard's Pens, to use as a replacement collar to hold the vintage 400NN's gold nib and feed.
http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/care/inks.htm

Unfortunately, I do not have a recommendation on the cracked section. Sorry.

I hope the nib collar information is helpful, or at least a place to start.

Regards,
Paul.

cedargirl
August 7th, 2013, 10:35 PM
Hi Cedargirl,
I am experiencing the same issue with my 1950s 400NN - the nib collar is plastic and snapped in half.

I posted a question on the FPGeek Pelikan forum and have been uploading information on resolving the issue.
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/3520-Vintage-Pelikan-400NN-advice-for-repair

My understanding is that the Pelikan 120 is very similar to the 140.
If this is the case you may want to check out a site I found when working on my 400NN.
http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/pendoctor/22.htm

To fix the issue I ordered (and am now awaiting delivery) an inexpensive M200 nib unit from Richard's Pens, to use as a replacement collar to hold the vintage 400NN's gold nib and feed.
http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/care/inks.htm

Unfortunately, I do not have a recommendation on the cracked section. Sorry.

I hope the nib collar information is helpful, or at least a place to start.

Regards,
Paul.

Thanks Paul. Someone else also sent me a link to Richard's page.

It explained two things - firstly these collars are brittle and crack easily.
And secondly, they are fitted very tightly, hence my trouble closing up the crack.

Fortunately, mine is still in one piece, albeit with a crack right through its length.
It seems these polystyrene collars can not easily be glued.

I am going to try putting it all back together, as is (I have a section crack to fix first,which apparently can be done).
The cracked collar didn't seem to affect the pen's functioning before I took it apart, so hopefully it won't after.

Fountainbel
September 16th, 2013, 02:45 AM
Hi all,
I make replacement nib collars made in indestructible black delrin.
When interested please send direct E-mail : francis.goossens2@skynet.be
Thanks and regards, Francis

gentlyom
September 17th, 2013, 03:43 PM
I have a Pelikan 120 - Type 1 from the 1950-60s (not the Merz and Krell Type 2). I've just taken the nib, feed and nib collar out and have found that the nib collar is cracked.

My initial concern was what is the correct adhesive to use to glue the nib collar. It is a clear plastic material, maybe acrylic?

But on closer examination, I think I have a bigger problem. There is no way I can close the nib collar around the nib and feed without the crack opening up. It just doesn't seem to fit.
As soon as I try to close it around the nib and feed there is a gap along the crack line. I'm thinking this is why it cracked in the first place, maybe.

Do you think I might have the wrong collar fitted and that's why it cracked? The nib appears to be correct and the feed is an ebonite longitudinal finned feed, not the plastic comb feed in later 120s.

BTW the section also has a crack, so I need to fix that too.

Any help or suggestions here would be most appreciated.

Hi Cedargirl,

I cannot help on the cracked section, but for the cracked nib collar, if the crack is not all the way to the end, you can leave it as is. I have a bunch of 140 and vintage 400 nibs, and a couple of them have the cracked clear nib collar. So I left it as is still securing the nib and feed together, and put it inside of the pen. So in a way the section pushes pressure to hold the nib unit together. This would not be a permanent resolution, but it can help in a short term. So far as I find, not interfering the performance of the nib or the pen at all. But in your case, the section is also cracked, I would definitely find a M200 nib unit and replace the collar.

cedargirl
September 17th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Hi Cedargirl,

I cannot help on the cracked section, but for the cracked nib collar, if the crack is not all the way to the end, you can leave it as is. I have a bunch of 140 and vintage 400 nibs, and a couple of them have the cracked clear nib collar. So I left it as is still securing the nib and feed together, and put it inside of the pen. So in a way the section pushes pressure to hold the nib unit together. This would not be a permanent resolution, but it can help in a short term. So far as I find, not interfering the performance of the nib or the pen at all. But in your case, the section is also cracked, I would definitely find a M200 nib unit and replace the collar.

Thanks gentlyom
I am going to try that. Unfortunately my collar is cracked all the way through, bu only in one place so it holds together. I'm currently waiting on delivery of some glue for the section, so I haven't been able to see if it works yet. I am hoping it will work. If it doesn't, I will have to find a replacement collar.

It does seem to be a common problem.

cedargirl
September 17th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Hi all,
I make replacement nib collars made in indestructible black delrin.
When interested please send direct E-mail : francis.goossens2@skynet.be
Thanks and regards, Francis

Thanks Francis - that might be necessary down the track. How much do you charge?

jde
September 18th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Repairs to the section / nib collar are among the most difficult to sustain because those parts of your pen that take the brunt of the writing work.

Not to say don't try. Just be aware. Well, you are already, ay? Having had a cracked collar before, I'd replace rather than repair. IMHO.

Glad to know the amazing Francis makes replacement collars. At one time the only solution was to scrounge for other broken vintage Pelikans. Paul's solution sounds like a good one, too.

jmccarty3
December 16th, 2017, 06:08 PM
Who among us (who is still accepting repair work, that is) is expert at doing this kind of repair?

penwash
December 17th, 2017, 09:07 AM
Who among us (who is still accepting repair work, that is) is expert at doing this kind of repair?

Specifically about the collar, I would think that this would be a good application for the 3-D printing technology.
They have 3-D printing filament made in Acetal Resin ("Delrin" that Francis used in his post above, is that same material branded by DuPont apparently). So the material is covered, the only last question I'd have is the resolution of the printer.

In other words, can it produce threads as fine as on the nib collar?
And I suspect the answer is, how much money we have to commission the hours of higher grade printers?

whych
December 17th, 2017, 01:52 PM
Try http://www.custompenparts.co.uk/pelikan/94-pelikan-compatible-connector.html for replacement collars.
They fit the old 120/140/400 models as well M200/400/600 pens.