PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone!

gwgtaylor
August 17th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Am planning to attempt my first parker vacumatic restoration on a striped speed line duofold I found at an antique market for a good price.

I bought vac pliers and new debutante diaphragms. I've already got pure talcum powder to put on the diaphragm before I fold it back but I'm wondering about vac lubricant to put on the diaphragm before inserting it back into the pen.

Richard Binder sells 'vac lubricant' for $10 per bottle but his shipping rates to Canada are too expensive and he has nothing else I want to buy. What else could I use? I've read saliva and glycerine work but does that mean liquid soap of bar soap? Really confusing. I've read that I definitely shouldn't use silicone grease.

So, what can I do? Any help? Looking for something long lasting that wont damage the pen.

Also, any good tips for removing the old pellet without me needing to purchase a rotary tool?

Thanks for your help

-Gerald

gwgtaylor
August 17th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Stupid new tapatalk. Didn't realize the first line was the title. Oops. Doesn't let you edit the title either. Boooooo

dr.grace
August 17th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Pure glycerol (glycerine) is a thick liquid. I believe it's what Richard Binder sells as vac lubricant, in a bottle with a brush cap, similar to the ones that are used for nail polish. It's water soluble, and it doesn't hurt anything.

I find that removing the old pellet can be one of the most vexing parts of Vac repair. You can easily damage the pellet cup if you're not careful. The rotary tool is highly recommended.

gwgtaylor
August 17th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Will give that a shot. Boo to rotary tool. I'll see what I can do

grandmia
August 18th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Hi Gerald...Just finished a Parker 51 Vacumatic couple of hours ago. Diaphragm went in easily with water and a touch of washing up liquid. Or stick your tongue out as saliva works just fine too. No need for any special potions....Good luck with your pen.

gwgtaylor
August 18th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Hi Gerald...Just finished a Parker 51 Vacumatic couple of hours ago. Diaphragm went in easily with water and a touch of washing up liquid. Or stick your tongue out as saliva works just fine too. No need for any special potions....Good luck with your pen.

Thanks Stef! Will give that a go once my new Dremel gets here from amazon.