PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn Feed Needs Divorce From Collar - How?

Margana
November 8th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Wrestling with Levenger True Writers today. One has a broken converter that is stuck in the section. The nib and feed slipped out of the collar so I would like to use them in another TW that has never had good flow. However, the nib and feed in the second TW are in so tightly that I cannot budge them. Any suggestions for effecting a divorce between the collar and feed?

KrazyIvan
November 8th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Only other way would be a knock out block. Maybe soaking would help. Oh, gentle heat before trying to pull the nib might help also.

pokermon919
November 10th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Everything Ivan said would be the same things I would try. I usually soak and give it a gentle tug, then soak some more and use heat and gentle tug, if that doesn't work then the trusty knockout block comes out. The order is different depending on different types of pen, but for a c/c filler I'd use the knockout block last.

jde
November 11th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Margana,
Just checking to make sure you are leaving the nib unit screwed-in to the section as you try to pull it as that will help with leverage. If you have something like Richard's gripper pads, (http://www.richardspens.com/?acc=grippers) they can be very helpful in holding the pen while pulling the nib and feed.

When I finally got my True Writer nib apart, I noted it looked like there was a bit of adhesive that had been used on the nib end in the collar. Time and patience with the TW nib, and lots of soaking. Often when I'm ready to give up is when it finally comes loose!
Good luck. Let us know how you do.
--Julie

PS Agree that knockout block is last resort... and have actually used one with this kind of feed before. Not for the faint at heart.

TimGirdler
November 11th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Wrestling with Levenger True Writers today. One has a broken converter that is stuck in the section. The nib and feed slipped out of the collar so I would like to use them in another TW that has never had good flow. However, the nib and feed in the second TW are in so tightly that I cannot budge them. Any suggestions for effecting a divorce between the collar and feed?

This is my first post here! Woo Hoo....

Anyway, I'm a fan of the Levenger True Writer and I have several of them, and I've toyed and tinkered with the True Writer more than anyone I know.

Let me say, that the use of the knock-out block will likely destroy the pen, unless you really, really know what you're doing. There is NO margin for error. And, even if you are successful knocking the feed out without killing the pen, the feed will likely be unusable.

Also, if you heat the feed, you will likely destroy it. The feed, likely as Schmidt, is plastic and, as such, cannot be heated with any reasonable expectation of survival. Soaking may help, especially if there is dried ink in that particular pen, and some quality time in an ultrasonic cleaner wouldn't be a bad idea.

As you probably are aware, the typical True Writer has the nib sleeve that hold the nib and feed together and holds the nib-feed in the pen. The sleeve unscrews, so it's possible to put the nib and feed back in the original pen, twist the sleeve out of both pens, and put the better sleeve (with nib and feed) into the pen you want them in.

I think I have 10 or so True Writers, and I've replaced the nib on many of them with JoWo nibs (a service I offer through my website, too). I have not known any of my True Writers to have had any type of glue in the nib units--though I suppose it's possible depending on the pen's age.

Good luck in your efforts and feel free to contact me if I can be of any help.

Blessings,

Tim

Margana
November 12th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, all of you. Tim, I have nine True Writers and my kids have one each. The size of the TW is perfect for me, but the nibs aren't as consistent as I would like. Two have been modified and one of those has the broken cartridge stuck in it which is beyond my skills. Sad to not have that one in rotation.

I don't have a block but I do have an ultrasonic cleaner. I'll try that next on the nib that won't release from the collar. If that doesn't work, it'll be Plan B, whatever that is. ;)

TimGirdler
November 13th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, all of you. Tim, I have nine True Writers and my kids have one each. The size of the TW is perfect for me, but the nibs aren't as consistent as I would like. Two have been modified and one of those has the broken cartridge stuck in it which is beyond my skills. Sad to not have that one in rotation.

I don't have a block but I do have an ultrasonic cleaner. I'll try that next on the nib that won't release from the collar. If that doesn't work, it'll be Plan B, whatever that is. ;)

I think it can be a great little pen. Many of mine have needed much work. But, after the investment of time and some replacement nibs, the pens have performed well in most cases.

If you'd like, you can contact me through my website (in the signature below). I think I might be able to help.

If you decide to tinker on your own, I wish you the best of luck.

Blessings,

Tim

Chi Town
November 15th, 2013, 11:20 PM
As Tim has already suggested, my input would be to use an ultra sonic cleaner and run it thru multiple cycles!

Keep us posted

Margana
November 19th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Over the weekend, three of the True Writers got the ultrasound treatment. Now all are squeaky clean, but only the Water Lilies fine benefited with improved flow. The Mink fine will not release the nib from the feed and the broken converter remains trapped in the Kyoto. I had hoped to move the custom stub from the Kyoto to the Mink until the broken converter can be handled. However, the nib was a tad wobbly due to a crack in the collar anyway, so one of these days I will get it repaired or just get my hands on a new section and swap the nibs. In the meantime, the stub will go on an extended vacation.

Thanks for the help.

Chi Town
November 20th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Over the weekend, three of the True Writers got the ultrasound treatment. Now all are squeaky clean, but only the Water Lilies fine benefited with improved flow. The Mink fine will not release the nib from the feed and the broken converter remains trapped in the Kyoto. I had hoped to move the custom stub from the Kyoto to the Mink until the broken converter can be handled. However, the nib was a tad wobbly due to a crack in the collar anyway, so one of these days I will get it repaired or just get my hands on a new section and swap the nibs. In the meantime, the stub will go on an extended vacation.

Thanks for the help.

have you seen the job that Shawn Newton of Newton pens in AR, did recently with a broken section? You might want to look him up for this repair???

Margana
December 8th, 2013, 02:07 AM
Oops. I just saw your reply. Thanks for the recommendation. :)