PDA

View Full Version : Eversharp "Fifth Avenue" Repair

Sun Anvil
January 1st, 2014, 08:40 AM
I'm getting ready to clean and repair but am not sure about Simichrome on the cap. Everything I have done up to now the cap and body are the same material (plastic) but not sure what the Simichrome will do to the metal cap. Any words of wisdom?

Penne Stilografiche
January 1st, 2014, 11:51 AM
I'm assuming that your pen is the model with a solid 14k gold cap, right? If so, I would put a light dab of Simichrome on a soft cloth and polish the cap. Then, I would put some water on a separate cloth and wipe of all of the excess residue as Simichrome can really stick to metal sometimes and leave a nasty, black film on it. I use Simichrome on all of my non plated metal pens to make them shiny and remove all of the scratches. If polished correctly, your pen should look almost as good as new.

Sun Anvil
January 1st, 2014, 02:31 PM
I'll proceed carefully. Thanks.

jjlax10
January 6th, 2014, 08:46 AM
I just worked on two of these for my wife's uncle. I was not as cautious, but I had no issues. I would stick with just sunshine cloth.

gweddig
January 6th, 2014, 08:02 PM
I generally avoid Simichrome on gold because a sunshine cloth usually does the job and it's less aggressive. Simichrome contains grit that is considered harsh by some. Tread carefully.

Sun Anvil
January 12th, 2014, 07:28 AM
I ended up using a small dab of the Simichrome to break things up, rinsed the cap off then went to work with the sunshine cloth. Everything came out great!

cwent2
January 12th, 2014, 11:57 AM
I ended up using a small dab of the Simichrome to break things up, rinsed the cap off then went to work with the sunshine cloth. Everything came out great!

after photos?