PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Sonic cleaner

lisantica
January 3rd, 2014, 01:01 PM
I decided to try these items to make a home made cleaner.
Items used:
Fuji water bottle cut to only use the bottom 3 inches or so.
A prescription bottle.
An electric tooth brush. This goes in the medicine bottle as to not contaminate the brush.

It sure wiggled some ink and such from this Pilot VP nib.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/04/yjevugu5.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/04/y6ybypyj.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/04/ada8eva2.jpg

KrazyIvan
January 3rd, 2014, 01:03 PM
I just added to your reputation for this post. Fountain Pen Sith Lord Approved.

http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/vader.gif

lisantica
January 3rd, 2014, 01:04 PM
Thank you!

VertOlive
January 3rd, 2014, 01:18 PM
Man, I love science at home!

Jon Szanto
January 3rd, 2014, 01:35 PM
I just throw my nibs and sections in a blender. Lots faster.

Of course, I don't.

lisantica
January 3rd, 2014, 01:40 PM
Reminds me of the commercial "Will it Blend" :D

fpquest
January 3rd, 2014, 01:47 PM
Cool! MacGyver would be jealous.

ac12
January 3rd, 2014, 04:08 PM
he he
how cool is that. :)

Frank
January 3rd, 2014, 04:30 PM
Very Clever!

(Perhaps too clever...) ;)

:)

Tony Rex
January 4th, 2014, 07:57 AM
This is really clever. I must congratulate your dedication and MacGyver like ingenuity. However..

An ultrasonic cleaner does more than just agitate the water, it creates micro bubbles in a vortex that rubs everything. The higher the power and frequency, the smaller the bubbles and the vortex, and therefore fill every crevices. It's really handy to have one, quite cheap too from dx.com. Cheers.

thelonestranger
January 5th, 2014, 02:23 PM
I just find a small clear pint glass jar, fill it about 1/3 full of ammonia and water, put in the parts, and let my wife find it. The sound waves generated from her yelling will blast the most stubborn stains off any part. ;)

ken

Flounder
January 5th, 2014, 03:16 PM
I was hoping some sort of Back to the Future wall-sized speaker was going to be involved, but this is just as good :)

Vintagepens
January 5th, 2014, 07:14 PM
Well, the OP title is "sonic", not "ultrasonic".

Makes me think of hollering at the kids to get their rooms picked up . . . .

Tony Rex
January 5th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Fair enough. I was just pointing out that one can buy an ultrasonic cleaner for cheap, I use hacked tools too no worries.

No offense intended.

EDIT: And now I remember when I posted that I had the OP's nice Pelikan collection in mind that I reckon would be better off with an usc anyway. Because it's a simple matter of dipping the section for a few minutes than un/screwing around everytime.

Farmboy
January 5th, 2014, 09:17 PM
Well, the OP title is "sonic", not "ultrasonic".

Makes me think of hollering at the kids to get their rooms picked up . . . .
You must have strong kids.

lisantica
January 6th, 2014, 06:28 AM
I step away from the thread for a day or two, and look what happens. :pound:
Just kidding around. I do want to buy an ultrasonic cleaner some day soon.

I appreciate the posts, it's always fun to have something to read.

Chrissy
January 1st, 2017, 01:46 AM
I have a USC that I bought on the recommendation of my friend who is a jeweller. I started using it for my pens until I noticed that there were bits of grey/white hard 'stone-like' material underneath it.

Then soon after I found these bits of material, I spotted that it had stopped working on one side of the tank.

So with a little trepidation, I removed the base plate. Inside was a disc of stone that had cracked across the centre and started to crumble, plus one of the electrical contacts had fallen off. So I mixed up some of the stuff I used for repairing ceramics, made the stone disc good again and replied the contact back in it's original position.

I was very pleased to find it works perfectly again now. I bought a new replacement, but I use that one as my spare. :)

ms8109
January 8th, 2017, 11:50 PM
Now that's interesting!!!

RoSpectre
January 18th, 2017, 07:36 PM
Was wondering about these things... I hesitate to amass specialty tools, then I improvise and make do so long until one day I realize I would have more than gotten my use out of a tool if I bought one to start. But by then I ask, will I get my use out of it if I buy one this late? The cleaner seems multi purpose though, and the jewelry cleaning will sell it to the wife, so maybe the ultrasonic will go on my list first for once, before I try this toothbrush idea.