PDA

View Full Version : Any Alternatives to Montblanc bubble gum Sealant

Paul-H
January 27th, 2014, 05:55 AM
Hi all

Up until now I have been using silicone Grease to seal the nib collars on my Montblanc 146 & 149 pens as I don't have access to anything like the Pink Bubblegum silicone that Montblanc use.

Is there anything like their own sealant available to use, I obviously know not to use bathroom silicone or automotive gasket silicone. Is there anything else that I could use.

Thanks

Paul

dr.grace
January 31st, 2014, 11:01 AM
I'd think you could use Ron Zorn's rosin-based section sealant. Several years back, I used shellac with a friend's 149, and it worked fine. But Zorn's stuff is much easier to undo.

Paul-H
January 31st, 2014, 02:28 PM
Thanks for that, I have just tried Ron's stuff on my 149, I will report back in a few weeks as to how ink tight the collar has been.

Paul

Baisao
December 2nd, 2020, 11:21 PM
I realize this is an old thread but I'll add this here and maybe it can help.

I am wondering if this is the same thing as Vibra-TITE 213 VC-3 Threadmate Threadlocker. It has a pink bubblegum color, is rubbery, and allows threaded parts to be attached, removed, and reattached up to 5x while keeping both a good seal and a maintaining a solid hold.

For example, I use this on my muzzle brakes and silencers so that they won't come loose from the vibration of shooting but are still easy enough to remove/replace. It seems like an ideal threadlocker for pen threads.

stoen
December 3rd, 2020, 12:21 AM
Why insisting on using alternatives if the two-component original seems regularly available on eBay? Perhaps one could try searching for “1980-2014 MONTBLANC MEISTERSTUCK 146, 149, ORIGINAL SILICONE SEAL FOUNTAIN PEN”...
(-:

Baisao
December 3rd, 2020, 12:47 AM
Why insisting on using alternatives if the two-component original seems regularly available on eBay? Perhaps one could try searching for “1980-2014 MONTBLANC MEISTERSTUCK 146, 149, ORIGINAL SILICONE SEAL FOUNTAIN PEN”...
(-:

That’s great! Yeah, it’s a very different material than the threadlocker. Thanks for posting the search term. As I said, I was wondering if it was the same material. Wondering is a far cry from “insisting”. But if you insist! ;)

stoen
December 3rd, 2020, 01:52 AM
Thanks, Baisao. I was primarily refering to the thread.

Baisao
December 3rd, 2020, 08:09 AM
I'm glad to know there is a source for the real thing. Thanks again!

Fountainbel
March 9th, 2021, 02:20 AM
I use a mixture of 50/50% pure beeswax/ liquid parafine, heated up " au bain Marie"
Seals perfectly and can be unscrewed without heat.
Francis