PDA

View Full Version : Conklin Crescent Leakage & Seepage

Carole
February 5th, 2014, 10:05 PM
So a Conklin Crescent 25P walks into a bar....well, I guess that's what it's doing every night. Because this little guy always has a cap full of ink whenever I pick it up. Not
that I'm judging. But I'd like to fix it if possible.

I did replace the sac myself, so I assume that's the problem somehow. Though the sac doesn't show any signs of leakage anywhere inside the barrel. The pen writes really well, the nib is in excellent condition. I don't have a lock-ring for it yet: I'm using a gizmo I kluged together on there. But I'm sure the crescent isn't deploying.

I've tried different inks, and the pen is always stored on its side. But the leaks continue. Any suggestions what might be going on?

SteveE
February 6th, 2014, 09:00 AM
If you are finding ink in the cap repeatedly, you almost definitely have an air leak in the filler system somewhere. I'm not sure how to ensure that the leak is not related to the sac, but it could be a leak where the sac is shellacked to the nipple. Was the nipple smooth and free of gouges, chips, etc. prior to installation of the sac?

There also could be a leak elsewhere in the filler system. There could be a crack in the feed, the nipple, etc. that would allow air back into the sac and ink out into the cap. That would be my theory - that there is an air leak somewhere, and if not the sac (we've all botched one now or then), then in another part that is in the ink's flow path. Maybe try a micro-examination of all accessible surfaces, looking for cracks or other imperfections.

There is also the remote (IMHO) possibility that the ink is being drawn out of the sac via capillary action if the nib remains in contact with the inner cap when the pen is capped. I've only had this happen once, and that was on a modern pen and it only resulted in inky fingers, not an empty pen.

tandaina
February 6th, 2014, 09:29 AM
I've had pens leak slowly out the nib when the nib and feed were not well seated, so air was getting in though the nib and feed around the collar and thus ink leaking out. If the sac seems smooth and no issues then I'd look for the issue elsewhere.

Carole
February 6th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Thank you, Steve! I'm going to re-sac it, and inspect everything again. With eleventy-six feet of snow everywhere, this will be the highlight of the evening. I confess to not using a loupe to examine the patient prior to shellacking. Not sure the age of the pen, but it appears to be in remarkably good shape at 80 plus years. 9621
(it's always amazing to see these feeds, almost as tall as the pen itself! ) Appreciate your help very much!

Thanks, tandaina! When I get this baby back together, I'll check that as well. By the way, with so many Conklins missing their lock-rings, I wonder about the different ways people have improvised replacements? Pretty ephemeral topic, I admit.

jde
February 6th, 2014, 07:01 PM
Thank you, Steve! I'm going to re-sac it, and inspect everything again. With eleventy-six feet of snow everywhere, this will be the highlight of the evening. I confess to not using a loupe to examine the patient prior to shellacking. Not sure the age of the pen, but it appears to be in remarkably good shape at 80 plus years. 9621
(it's always amazing to see these feeds, almost as tall as the pen itself! ) Appreciate your help very much!

Thanks, tandaina! When I get this baby back together, I'll check that as well. By the way, with so many Conklins missing their lock-rings, I wonder about the different ways people have improvised replacements? Pretty ephemeral topic, I admit.

Sweet little Conklin you've got there.

You've gotten great suggestions by tandaina and SteveE.

A couple of thoughts to add:
These vintage pens you can be quite surprised by how much old ink is still in the cap. Sometimes it seems we have a leak, but it's really old ink that's being reconstituted now that you're using the pen. Have you a brush you can use on the inside of your cap for a good cleaning?

Also when or if you re-set the nib & feed, you might do it ala Arthur Twydle with a little water "off the boil." Read his instructions here. (http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/master%202.htm)

Also, you mention that you store the pen on its side. Personally, I'd leave it nib up as long as it's inked up, and I'm not writing with it. Not true for all pens, but a pen as old as yours might prefer it. (More than 80 most likely.)

Not suggested with any authority at all. Just my own experience w/Conklin. (My first great pen brand obsession.)

Good luck,
Julie

Carole
February 6th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Thanks for your great suggestions, Julie!

Just my own experience w/Conklin. (My first great pen brand obsession.)

Kind of a twisted path, isn't it? I'm afraid the Conklin Crescent, like baseball, is designed to break your heart. Amazing nib: splintered barrel. Missing lock-ring: gorgeous overlay. One-of-a-kind MIB: costs more than my car.

And how fantastic is that essay by Sir Arthur Twydle: "Terrifying Diagrams of Methylated Spirit Heaters". Way ahead of his time.

I do appreciate it. (And bookmarked your site!)

jjlax10
February 10th, 2014, 02:37 PM
What are you using to hold the crescent in place?

Carole
February 11th, 2014, 01:54 AM
I was trying to think of a pliable material that would hold its shape once fitted to the barrel, that would smoothly rotate, and was the correct 'height' to contact the inside of the crescent. ( Having no idea what I was doing.) So far the best results are from crafting wire, used for making jewelry. I think others have used the plastic cap from a marker and cut it to the correct size. That would be better maybe, but I didn't have a way to cut that material.

SteveE
February 11th, 2014, 06:56 AM
The "ugly bug" method of ensuring that the ring is not accidentally depressed might be to find a small piece of rubber (or even rubber tubing), and slide it into the open area beneath the crescent. The rubber would be gently compressed, causing it to be a friction fit and stay in place. I was thinking of a piece of an old sac, but unless you roll up some of the material, it wouldn't be thick or stiff enough to hold the crescent up if bumped. Not pretty, but a chunk of rubber would allow you to use the pen in confidence until a suitable ring or better substitute could be found.

TimGirdler
February 17th, 2014, 08:41 PM
So a Conklin Crescent 25P walks into a bar....well, I guess that's what it's doing every night. Because this little guy always has a cap full of ink whenever I pick it up. Not
that I'm judging. But I'd like to fix it if possible.

I did replace the sac myself, so I assume that's the problem somehow. Though the sac doesn't show any signs of leakage anywhere inside the barrel. The pen writes really well, the nib is in excellent condition. I don't have a lock-ring for it yet: I'm using a gizmo I kluged together on there. But I'm sure the crescent isn't deploying.

I've tried different inks, and the pen is always stored on its side. But the leaks continue. Any suggestions what might be going on?

Maybe you've mentioned this and I've missed it.... But, can you tell me what kind of sac you put in the pen? Was it rubber or silicone?

Blessings,

Tim

Carole
February 18th, 2014, 11:29 PM
Maybe you've mentioned this and I've missed it.... But, can you tell me what kind of sac you put in the pen? Was it rubber or silicone?

Blessings,

Tim

Hi Tim--It was silicone...but maybe I should be historically accurate and go back to the classics?

Cheers~

TimGirdler
February 19th, 2014, 08:03 PM
Hi Tim--It was silicone...but maybe I should be historically accurate and go back to the classics?

Cheers~

Carole,

Many people have been using silicone sacs and one thing has come up in their usage--they cause seepage. You can read this post on Ron Zorn's blog for the full story (http://mainstreetpens.com/wordpress/?p=55), but it seems that silicone lets some gasses through and that pushes the ink out of the pen. I'll admit I haven't used the silicone sacs--mostly because the latex sacs are OEM. But, from what I've heard from other repairers and restorers, I don't know that I'll explore using the silicone sacs.

So, if you were to resac the pen with a latex sac, you might find that the leakage and seepage stops. In any event, it would be a great experiment to see if the latex sac solves the problem.

Please keep us posted.

Blessings,

Tim

Jeph
February 20th, 2014, 12:04 AM
I think that Tim has an excellent idea. I have no information to share myself to help or even confuse the idea. I only post to ask that if you are willing to be our guinea pig and see if this works I know that I am not the only one that would be very interested in hearing the results.

Carole
February 20th, 2014, 02:42 AM
I think that Tim has an excellent idea. I have no information to share myself to help or even confuse the idea. I only post to ask that if you are willing to be our guinea pig and see if this works ...

Sure, I'm happy to help out and do the experiment, except I don't really have any skills with this stuff. We'd be better off handing a real guinea pig the shellac. :rolleyes:

Still, I'll do my best and will report back as soon as I can procure the latex.
Appreciate everyone's ideas and suggestions!

SteveE
February 21st, 2014, 01:28 PM
Carole - Tim beat me to it. Another reason to try it again with a latex sac is that many of us have had problems sealing silicone sacs using shellac. For some reason, the shellac doesn't stick all that well to the silicone. Of course, we all know that shellac sticks just fine to the latex. I think you'll be fine with a latex sac, given that the pen is black. No bright colors to darken with outgassing of the sac.

crackednib
March 9th, 2014, 06:39 PM
I have this same pen, never leaks a drop. It has a latex sac. Regarding the lock ring, anyone with a wood lathe could turn one for you, a fairly easy project. I recently sold my lathe, otherwise I would be happy to turn a batch of these lock rings. I am very fond of these pens, great design IMO

Carole
March 9th, 2014, 10:35 PM
Thank you, crackednib! I sure wish I knew someone with a lathe! It would be a nice project to turn out a batch of them, as the 25P ring is so small and notoriously hard to find. I'm sure other people are looking for them, too. During my search I learned that it's the lock-ring often found on the overlay pens, so these little guys get parted out a lot. It's a shame.

I still haven't replaced the sac, but my skills are kind of suspect, so it could be that causing the leak. I'm really captivated by the design, too.

Do people with lathes congregate in any special place? This is a wonderful idea you've suggested, if I can find them. Would love to see your pen and writing samples! Cheerio for now.

SteveE
March 11th, 2014, 09:23 AM
Carole - Pen people with lathes and the skills to use them most likely "hang out" in the various pen turners' or pen-making fora.