PDA

View Full Version : Ribbed Sac? (Kaweco Button)

Jeph
February 8th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Recently I nabbed a beat up old Kaweco button filler to steal its palladium nib. This week I needed a nib for a pen I was working on and the palladium nib looked just right. The curvature was correct but it was just a little too short. That is not interesting. What was interesting was then when I took the Kaweco apart this bizarre ribbed ink sac came out. It was well ossified but I did manage to get a reasonably large piece out still intact.

The inside of the sac is smooth but the outside of the entire sac is ribbed. It was not anything inside the barrel that caused the ribs as you can see the imprint from the ribs on the smooth pressure bar.
The Kaweco has no identifying numbers on it, but the Palladium nib suggests wartime production. There is a "61K" upside down on the hidden end of the nib. The nib did have a thin gold coloring over the palladium.
The cap closure, blind cap, section, feed and nib collar are all made from hard rubber.

So, does anyone know anything about ribbed ink sacs?

jjlax10
February 10th, 2014, 02:35 PM
I would contact Tom Westerich or Fountainbel for insights. The current owner of Kaweco has a collection of old ones and his family has been in the pen business for a long time, so if you can get a note to him, try asking. Otherwise I think a normal sac will work.