PDA

View Full Version : Removing J-bar from donor pen

scrivelry
February 24th, 2014, 10:37 AM
I have a pen which is entirely dead in the water - (I did not do this! It came to me this way in a mixed lot!) By this I mean the feed has been splintered and there was a piece left less than a quarter inch long, the nib has been sprung and also attacked with pliers so it is now rough, and there is no lever. Cosmetically, it fares no better.

It does seem to have a decent j-bar, from what I can tell.

Tools available include crochet hooks, jeweler's pliers, and an extensive vocablulary with which to express my feelings about the process, so long as impressionable children are not listening.

How, please, do I get this j-bar out, so I can use it in another pen?

Deb
February 24th, 2014, 11:35 AM
I find that if you get a grip of the j-bar and twist and pull (not too vigorously!) you can work it out of the barrel. If the j-bar is flat against the inside of the barrel and you can't get hold of it, push something through the now vacant slot where the lever once was, and depress it until you can get a grip on it. There are other, more destructive methods but you don't have the tools for them.

Flounder
February 24th, 2014, 12:24 PM
For jobs like this where you never seem to have enough hands, I like - you've guessed it - blutack. It keeps the pen in position while one hand uses a screwdriver to push the J bar off the barrel wall, while the other waggles the end of the j bar with long nosed pliers. Here's a Summit about to have its J bar extracted, prior to lever straightening.

AndyLa
February 25th, 2014, 03:52 PM
I've always had luck with just using pliers. The only time this didn't work out so well was when removing a rusted/very brittle jbar. Just pull slowly and carefully. I think flounder have good advice of pushing from the level hole.

scrivelry
February 25th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Than k you all, I will give it a shot and see what happens.

T