PDA

View Full Version : Noodler's Konrad plunger hitting feed

Woody
March 14th, 2014, 08:13 PM
A problem "I think" I can fix but need a couple of opinions. I'm setting up a Konrad, and when the plunger on the twist mechanism is turned down completely it hits the feed and actually moves the feed and nib up. The nib and feed are set properly but something's out of wack.

I'm wondering if I shorten the feed is the proper way to go. Thanks all for your opinions.

-Bill-

mhosea
March 14th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Well, you could shorten the feed, but the original Konrads don't seem to have a lip that stops the piston before it gets to the feed. I would do nothing. Just don't extend the piston that far before filling, and don't slather silicone grease on the piston head (apply it sparingly to the inside of the barrel when needed). If you want to get every last drop of ink in that is possible, only fill it half full, then turn the pen to be nib up and finish retracting the piston to suck the ink out of the feed. Then slowly extend the piston with the nib up to expel all the air in the chamber. Insert the pen into the ink and draw the ink up into the pen.

Dreck
March 14th, 2014, 10:46 PM
I think I understand the issue you are having, and if I am correct, it comes from seating the nib & feed "too far" into the barrel. What I did when the plunger on mine contacted the feed was to disassemble the pen, reinsert the piston, and extend it all the way before reinstalling the nib & feed.

Woody
March 15th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Dreck and Mike. Correct on both counts. I can adjust the feed so the plunger stops before hitting it, but I think now the real problem is the friction fit of the nib and feed. There's just too much play. I might try some shellack inside the section to see if I can get a tighter fit. Then again it might be a bum fit. Fun to play with but I'm not sure if I can save this one. Any other feeds I have at the moment are far too thin. Any ideas how to build up the section a bit ?

Dreck
March 15th, 2014, 02:23 PM
UGH. Nope. You have just been witness to my sum total of knowledge from a single year of using a fountain pen. :D

To be honest, I occasionally look at my own Ebonite Konrad & wonder if/when the section will widen or split. I wish you all the best, and am very interested in following your progress with this issue. Will you please keep us updated & informed?

mhosea
March 15th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Any ideas how to build up the section a bit ?

I've done the shellac thing with some success. Can't say that I was all that enthusiastic about the results, but I didn't have quite the looseness that you may have, so it's worth a try. Another problem with the original resin Konrads is an air gap above the nib. Shellac can help with that, too, but I think on the whole I would recommend tinkering with them to get them writing properly and then treating them as dip pens with a reservoir. I've worked on three, and none were reliable enough to carry around, IMHO.

I eventually retired my pre-acrylic, pre-ebonite resin Konrads due to an objectionable rate of ink evaporation after all my attempted fixes, which included shellac for a tighter nib and feed fit, shellac plugging the air gap above the nib, making sure the cap was sealed up, greasing the piston, and even shellac holding the piston assembly in. I still use an ebonite Konrad from time to time, but it has a Sheaffer triumph nib and feed salvaged from '49 Fat Touchdown. No evaporation issues there.

Woody
March 15th, 2014, 05:04 PM
Dreck .. I have a feeling the ebonite Konrads have better tolerances. I'm not sure about this vegetable resin thing, but I did want to experiment because I had never touched Noodler pens. I certainly understand what Nathan is trying to do but for a few bucks more why not put a stop bump on the Ahabs and Konrads. Still I feel there is some education behind these pens but it's going tot take a little time before I can call one a workhorse. The darn things sure are wet.

Woody
March 15th, 2014, 05:09 PM
Well you didn't mention bathroom caulk Mike. And DONT say that's a good idea. :)

mhosea
March 15th, 2014, 10:55 PM
Well you didn't mention bathroom caulk Mike. And DONT say that's a good idea. :)

LOL. Well, as it happens, I did try some tape! It was some very thin, tough plastic tape meant to put faux carbon-fiber detail on a car. It worked, but I wasn't sure whether it would break down or not, decided that it might, and removed it.