PDA

View Full Version : Retipping

DrChumley
March 18th, 2014, 11:01 AM
Hey all,

I'm only aware of two nibmeisters in the US who do retipping: John Mottishaw and Greg Minuskin. Are there any others that offer re-tipping services? I have a vintage Conway Stewart where the tipping material snapped off one of the tines, and I'd like to investigate all my options for getting it repaired.

Paul-H
March 18th, 2014, 11:06 AM
Anyone know of anyone in the UK that re tips as well

Sorry to high jack, please reply to OP before me.

Thanks

mhosea
March 18th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Closest alternative I've heard of is goldnibs.com in Spain, and that goes both for US and UK. I know nothing about the quality of their work. Mottishaw has a long wait. Minuskin has fast turnaround, and extrapolating from his photos and the one 0.4mm grind he did for me, I doubt anyone is better than Greg. You will pay for that kind of craftsmanship, of course.

AltecGreen
March 18th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Hey all,

I'm only aware of two nibmeisters in the US who do retipping: John Mottishaw and Greg Minuskin. Are there any others that offer re-tipping services? I have a vintage Conway Stewart where the tipping material snapped off one of the tines, and I'd like to investigate all my options for getting it repaired.

Unless the nib has great sentimental value and/or is extremely valuable on its own (Waterman #10, LeBouef #8, Wahl adjustable, etc....), re-tipping is not the first option. The first option is to find a replacement. What kind of Conway Stewart is your pen?

As for re-tipping, the three people who publicly take re-tipping work have been mentioned on in this thread. There are others in Asia who do the work but are not easy find and then there are those who can do the work but do not take public work.

Flounder
March 18th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Good to know, thanks all.

DrChumley
March 19th, 2014, 03:58 PM
What kind of Conway Stewart is your pen?

It's a 50's era Green Hatched 24. Where might one go to even find these vintage replacement nibs?

Jon Szanto
March 19th, 2014, 04:47 PM

It's a 50's era Green Hatched 24. Where might one go to even find these vintage replacement nibs?

I'd start by writing to some of the people who deal in pens in the UK. They handle a lot more of the English pens (duh) than people in the US. If it were me, I might start with dropping a note to Deb at Goodwriters (I probably say that because I'm a bit smitten with her!). She has her contact info on her blog, and here's a link to it (http://goodwriterspens.com/about/). If my instincts are right, she can offer you suggestions for tracking down a nib.

AltecGreen
March 19th, 2014, 07:02 PM

A CS 24 should have a CS No. 3 nib. Vintage CS pens are a bit outside my area of expertise.

I found these.

http://conwaystewartpens.co.uk/ProdDesc.asp?cat=9&id=cs.0241

http://conwaystewartpens.co.uk/ProdDesc.asp?cat=9&id=cs.0238

You will have to verify if these are the correct for your pen. You do have to be careful with CS because they have a 3N nib, a 3B nib, etc. Some people to ask for help include Laurence Oldfield or Henry Simpole.

Edit: You might as well as the owner of site selling the two nibs listed above. I just realize that is Max Davis's site.

Paul-H
March 20th, 2014, 12:54 AM
OK, I will bite, whats the Story Regarding Max Davis?

Paul

AltecGreen
March 20th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Max is pretty well known in the pen world. He is the co-author with Gary Lehrer of the book, "Waterman Past and Present (The First Six Decades)".

He's a good source for Waterman and CS pen parts as well as a number of vintage pens.