PDA

View Full Version : #2 nib, need feed. And possibly the rest of the pen too!

Apprenti
March 30th, 2014, 01:49 PM
Hi everyone,
This is my first post here, so let me first say how much I enjoy this site already. There's a very open atmosphere here, which is great!

I was recently given a Waterman #2 Ideal nib to go in a Noodler's Creaper, but I don't think the feed will be able to keep up (it railroads all the time with the stock nib, even after modification). The obvious solution is to get a new feed but 1) I have no money (I was recently given several nice pens which I had to pay customs on), 2) I don't know where to get a feed and 3) I don't know that it'll fit the Noodler. And, to be honest, I'm not sure the Creaper body is particularly fitting for the gorgeous Waterman nib, so perhaps getting a pen without a nib is a better solution? Thing is, I think I'm expected to try it in the Noodler first, but I'm not sure it will work. I want to put the nib to good use though.

Thanks,
Joe

AndyT
March 30th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Hello Joe.

I mentioned this just a couple of days ago. The Creaper body seems to me like a good choice because it's easily taken apart and cleaned, unlike pens with sacs - but all right, it's maybe not the prettiest. The Noodler's feed ought to be capable of keeping up but you might need to take a hacksaw to it ... if you haven't already, try opening up the air channels one by one before attacking the main channel too much, though. And heat setting can make a very big difference. All this at your own risk, of course, but you don't stand to lose much and it should be interesting.

By the way, the railroading with the original nib may have as much to do with the ink as the pen, and it also pays to experiment with where the feed sits in relation to the nib, and how deeply both are set into the section. The Creaper nib can do solid 2.5mm shades if everything is just right. Not necessarily very reliably, but a neat trick for such an inexpensive pen.

Apprenti
March 31st, 2014, 12:38 AM
I'll try it with the original feed first. Thanks for the advice. If all else fails I'll have to hang on to the nib for the while and try and source a donor body for it.

Thanks,
Joe

Jeph
March 31st, 2014, 01:41 AM
I agree with AndyT that the original feed should be able to keep up with no issues without modification.
I strongly suspect that the nib is not inserted deeply enough into the section and is not getting enough contact with the feed.
A picture showing the nib with respect to the feed as installed would be helpful.

Apprenti
March 31st, 2014, 11:04 AM
I've asked for a new feed to replace the one I've... mutilated, and that should be here soon. Will see what it's like with the new nib.

Thanks everyone,
Joe