PDA

View Full Version : ISO of Pen Tuning/CLeaning Tutorials

inkyletters
April 17th, 2014, 01:17 PM
can someone be so kind as to link me to the following tutorials?

1. Proper pen cleaning between inks
2. Pen cleaning before inking a new pen
3. nib alignment
4. any other basic tutorials a newbie should read

I'm sure they're here somewhere but a quick search kinda overwhelmed me, lots of technical terms I don't know yet. I have a few pens that I think need some TLC and I'm having trouble flushing my ink completely when I switch inks.

Thanks!

LunaAzurina
April 17th, 2014, 03:28 PM
When I first joined this site in late January in advance of InCoWriMo, the helpful folks here pointed me toward a tutorial on Goulet Pens. Rather than link each video, here's a link to the splash page in their 'Fountain Pen 101' page, which should answer the 'any other basic tutorials a newbie should read' question above.

http://www.gouletpens.com/Fountain_Pen_101_s/1135.htm

From the purely female and editorial perspective Brian Goulet is not hard on the eyes or ears either.

Frank
April 17th, 2014, 06:10 PM
All
People
Seem
To
Need
Dirty
Pens

- The 7 layers of pen care!
(IT joke)

;)

Farmboy
April 17th, 2014, 10:21 PM
Frank, you are the Bastard Machine Operator from Hell. My your degaussing coil be strong.

gweddig
April 17th, 2014, 11:48 PM
Boy, I didn't get either of those.

Frank
April 18th, 2014, 08:07 PM
Frank, you are the Bastard Machine Operator from Hell. My your degaussing coil be strong.

LOL! :)

...A Defragment will be necessary with continued compliments!

Farmboy
April 18th, 2014, 08:49 PM

LOL! :)

...A Defragment will be necessary with continued compliments!
I have a feeling we lost everyone not carrying their data tapes parallel to the magnetic flux generated by the CRTs in the machine room.

Long live the BMOfH

Jon Szanto
April 18th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Don't make me open up my Compaq lunch box with the amber CRT...

inkyletters
April 18th, 2014, 09:56 PM
... So no other tutorial suggestions then?

Farmboy
April 19th, 2014, 12:23 AM
If you come to the SF Pen show I'll see to it that there is a seminar for you that covers most of your topics.

Jon Szanto
April 19th, 2014, 12:52 AM
... So no other tutorial suggestions then?

If you haven't checked out the Reference Pages at Richard Binder's site (http://www.richardspens.com/), you should. There are sections on care and maintenance of your pens, as well as pretty much everything else that has ever been written about pens. Actually, that statement is closer to truth than not. A great resource.

inkyletters
April 19th, 2014, 03:48 PM
I shall examine that site in depth! And farmboy I would but Missouri is awful far away.... College student budgets have no room for distant pen shows. :(

Crazyorange
April 19th, 2014, 03:55 PM
I agree with luna. Goulet pens has the best blog. The 101 basic pen care will give you everything you need to know. Then poke around the blog entries. Outstanding information. You can also check out andersonspen.net. They have a pod cast about pen shows, vintage pens and modern pens.

tandaina
April 19th, 2014, 04:26 PM
Yeah, really Goulet's 101 video is pretty much all you need to get you started. From there you'll learn from reading forums and poking about doing research on more advanced topics. To deal with regular everyday use though, the 101 series covers it.