PDA

View Full Version : Sheaffer Snorkel Nib - Knockout?

Rabbit
April 12th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I have been working on my first Snorkel restoration and everything has gone perfectly, except for one major issue, this is the nib that my pen has:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2797/4296354277_b0e499e583_o.jpg

I worked with the tines for a while and got them aligned with each other properly, but they are still bent up away from the feed. The gab between the nib and feed is large enough that the pen has major flow problems. I have tried everything I can think of to bend them back down, but I think this would be much easier if I could remove the nib and feed.

Can the nib and feed of a Snorkel nib unit be knocked out like most pens, or are they more like Esterbrook nibs, for example, where knocking out would be difficult and potentially irreversible?

--Stephen

Kelly G
April 12th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Rabbit,

I can't give you a definitive answer as I've never run into this specific problem. That said, I don't know why you couldn't knock out the nib and feed from the threaded section piece. I'm assuming you can see the edge of the circular portion of the feed inside the threaded piece? Also, if this is point holder gasket seat, you don't want to damage any surfaces that would cause sealing problems. Other than that, I would give it a try.

I was going to suggest you heat the feed and form it to the nib, but given the snorkel has to pass through the feed that might not be a good idea!

Rabbit
April 13th, 2010, 05:40 PM
lol I thought about trying to heat the feed and push it against the nib, but then, like you, I thought it might affect the snorkel's path.

I'll mess around with it when I get a chance and see if I can knock it out. I need to get or make a knockout block first... but I've moved on to restoring my second Snorkel to give me something else fun to do in the mean time. :)

--Stephen

Chi Town
May 26th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Stephen, how did you make out with that nib?

@penfancy
May 26th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Rabbit,

I can't give you a definitive answer as I've never run into this specific problem. That said, I don't know why you couldn't knock out the nib and feed from the threaded section piece. I'm assuming you can see the edge of the circular portion of the feed inside the threaded piece? Also, if this is point holder gasket seat, you don't want to damage any surfaces that would cause sealing problems. Other than that, I would give it a try.

I was going to suggest you heat the feed and form it to the nib, but given the snorkel has to pass through the feed that might not be a good idea!

http://img.tapatalk.com/631e69f4-2f77-4b03.jpg

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

@penfancy
May 26th, 2012, 01:33 PM
The snorkel should slide right out. Try soaking the whole unit in cold water with ice. That breaks up the old ink without damage to the plastic and rubber of the pen and sac.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2