Thread: Ink Review: Diamine Damson

Thanks
    Thanked 10,492 Times in 4,012 Posts

Default Ink Review: Diamine Damson

I'm currently reviewing some of my favourite Diamine inks. Today I'm reviewing Diamine Damson ink. I would say it's similar to Diamine Grape, but is more grey. More of a dusky purplish grey colour.

• Bearing in mind the paper I use is very smooth, this ink takes longer to dry than some others.
    • It flows very well and lubricates the nib very well. No start-up problems noticed. I experienced no problems with dryness, nib crud or clogging.
    • Water test on the review form shows this isn't a waterproof ink, but it's more water resistant than some.
    • It easily washed off of my hands with bar soap.
    • It easily flushed out of my converter with warm water.
    • It is currently available in 30ml plastic bottles and 80ml glass bottles.
    • It's reasonably priced
    • Diamine sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.

Diamine Damson.jpeg
    Last edited by Chrissy; October 11th, 2018 at 12:45 AM.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Alec_J (February 13th, 2015), aurore (December 5th, 2022), Cob (February 13th, 2015), jde (March 11th, 2015), Jeph (February 13th, 2015), klpeabody (February 13th, 2015), Neo (February 13th, 2015), pica pica (February 13th, 2015), rdcalhoon (February 13th, 2015), reprieve (February 13th, 2015), TMac (February 13th, 2015), Xina (March 20th, 2015)

Land of OZ (Kansas), apjohnson1121@yahoo.com
    Thanks

Default Re: Ink Review: Diamine Damson

Wow I love your ink reviews! Thank you so much for the evident effort and time for our benefit!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alec_J For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 13th, 2015), mustud52 (February 23rd, 2015)

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

I want so badly to love this ink. The color is right up my alley--murky, dusty, and purple.

I have a bottle and have tried it in multiple pens, but I haven't found a good match yet: I keep running into start-up/dry-out issues and also some minor clogging. I've used it in tried and true pens that are otherwise reliable writers and that don't have issues with other inks. I've never read about anyone else having issues with Damson… so it's very odd.

Thanks

A user on another forum said they thought it was a dry ink. I didn't find it dry, but I wrote my review with a B nib. That was a B nib that I had tried very hard to tune to virtually no gap between the tines, so it wasn't wet. But I liked using the Damson. If I could only have either Diamine Amazing Amethyst or Damson, I would choose Amazing Amethyst by a whisker.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alec_J View Post
    Wow I love your ink reviews! Thank you so much for the evident effort and time for our benefit!
    Thank you. I really appreciate that

Thanks

Thanks Chrissy for another well done review. This is one of those inks that I want to like, and it's just not meant to be. I had a pen pal that used to write to me in Diamine Damson all of the time. It looked great in her pens, and, indeed, this ink was very "her". But, after trying a sample, it's just not for me. For one, I did not prefer the "ashy" look, that perhaps describes the grey-ish qualities that this ink can convey. But, you know, that's a thing: sometimes an ink looks lovely in your pen pal's letter, but just doesn't look that great coming from your own pens. It's a phenomenon that I cannot begin to explain, but I've experienced it, and even talked to other pen pals about it. This is one of those inks that goes into that category for me. There's worse things, I suppose. =)

In the U.S., at least, I would not use this in my particular, and conservative, office environment. First, my office requires blue ink for originals. Second, this ink dries to a very lavender-ish look that I find too feminine for business. I would reserve this one for personal correspondence. That's just my humble opinion; this ink stuff is so very subjective.
    Beware of oblique conclusions.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to klpeabody For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 14th, 2015)

Thanks

Diamine Damson is one of my favourite inks, thanks for the review.

Cheers,

Rick
    ------------------------------------
    Life Is Not A Rehearsal

My Pen Club: The London (Canada) Pen Club
    The Blog: The London Pen Club Blog
    The Facebook Page: The London Pen Club on Facebook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Video11 For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 14th, 2015)

Thanks

I'm actually looking at Diamine's webpage now... drooling over the various colours. Grape looks nice but similar to the Damson (I have neither, at present, but do have Imperial Purple).

Thanks

In response to Reprieve, this is useful to know. I had exactly the experience you describe with Grape--wanted badly to love the ink, still love the color, tried it in multiple pens that don't have issues with other inks, kept running into start-up/dry-out/clogging--also had trouble thinking I was the only person to have had the experience! I have been drawn to Damson, because it is another color in the same range, but on the basis of your report, I assume I would have the same problem you have had. Can you recommend another, similarly colored ink that works well in your pens?
    Last edited by Edith; March 20th, 2015 at 03:54 PM. Reason: not clear to whom I was responding

Thanks

Thank you for the review. I bought 15 Diamine Ink Samples. At the moment I am enjoying the Ancient Copper a lot.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pelo20000 For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 21st, 2015)