Thread: Pilot Iroshizuku Konpeki problem

Thanks

Default Pilot Iroshizuku Konpeki problem

I recently purchased a batch of ink samples from Goulet pens, one of which was the konpeki color. I have tried it in my clean pilot metropolitan and the color was beautiful. The next day I try the pen out again and to my surprise, the color has turned from a beautiful light blue to a nasty dark grayish blue. It is completly different. I tried to write for a bit and it lightened up a little bit, but is nowhere near its previous color. Does anyone know what could have happened, and what I could do to prevent this?

Thanks

Default Re: Pilot Iroshizuku Konpeki problem

Have you tried to contact the Goulets to check the stock bottle they took the sample from? You may not want to dip that pen into another bottle of ink before a thorough cleaning BTW.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Is it remotely possible there may have been any ink of a different colour still in your internal feed? Even though water runs clean from pens, there can still be ink residue in the internal feed that will taint a new colour.

I have soaked 'clean' pens in clean water overnight, and found colour in the water the next morning.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Ditto to Chrissy's question. The simplest explanation is that the Metropolitan feed inside the grip section was hiding a previous ink. When the Kon Peki eventually reached it, the two mixed in the feed. This is not a rare thing. Bulb syringes can clean out the main ink channel in a flash, but if water rushes through, some of the recesses will not get flushed. After the water runs clear initially, I like to use the bulb syringe in a slow way, making large droplets form before falling rather than stream of water. I also orient the nib in various directions while the droplets are falling to get a gravity assist in getting the water into the recesses of the feed. Then I wrap it in a paper towel and shake it out, then repeat. That does not always get it completely clean. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I use an ultrasonic cleaner regularly with ammonia, water, and photo-flo in the tank. Usually it is clean within 1 to 3 minutes in the ultrasonic, but sometimes it's not clean yet! Depends on the ink, the pen, etc.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

It could very well be a contaminant ink, but I was fairly careful to run the whole thing clean. I used the air-cartriage converter to clean it out and then another cartriage-converter for the pen. Maybe I will try to take out the nib next time. Was mainly worried about something happening chemically to the ink on its own, but I guess that is not the case.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Here's the thing: even when you think you've flushed a pen many times, sometimes the feed and collector (when present) can retain traces of the previous ink. Sometimes they might not loosen up in just water, but take a bit of time to dissolve when you've got the pen sitting full of liquid (like the next batch of ink).

If I choose to go mondo nuts, I'll run the front end of the pen in an ultra-sonic cleaner, but not usually for routine cleaning/switching of inks. I flush the pen and converter repeatedly, and then I always - unless the pen architecture won't allow it - use an ear syringe to force-flush water through the feed/nib. I will then either spin the pen in a salad spinner centrifuge (don't ask), wrap the nib in a paper towel and vigorously shake all the water out, or put the pen nib-down in a narrow glass with paper towel at the bottom to wick out the water.

This *should* do it 99% of the time. You didn't mention what was in the pen at first, but if it was a particularly saturated ink, they can take an awful lot of work to get out, because they are, well, so saturated.

Gah. I sure do type a lot. Best of luck, kon-peki is a lovely ink.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

I had something similar happen with a Estie J- I loaded it with Diamine Classic Red, which is a nice true red. Wrote with it that evening, looked and worked great. The next morning it was a much darker red. I apparently didn't flush the Black Cashmere out of it very good as that is the color I would expect. I filled it again and it is still darker but not as dark as before.

Thing is I thought I had flushed it more than adequately. I was getting clear water out by the time I filled. Maybe that is your problem.
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Pilot Iroshizuku Konpeki problem

Can you completely disassemble your pilot metro and wash each part separately? This way you'll be sure there's no ink residue left behind.