Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: There is no "proper English"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Default There is no "proper English"

from the Wall Street Journal, but via a columnist of the Times of London: http://www.wsj.com/articles/there-is...ish-1426258286

The argument is, boiled down, that there are no actual firm rules of grammar other than most common usage of the time. The rest is style and/or elitism. I tend to agree.

What do some others think? The column does not take long to read, nor is it a research piece. It is merely an opinion piece.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,077 Times in 4,023 Posts

Default Re: There is no "proper English"

Ax me this afternoon.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (March 16th, 2015), inlovewithjournals (March 16th, 2015), nico (March 17th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,322 Posts

The author has a point, and I suppose you could say it's simple elitism. I prefer to consider it in terms of what kind of job you want.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

My Grandmother was an English teacher. I do think there is a proper way to speak any language, and while languages *do* evolve that doesn't mean they don't have rules and proper ways of communicating.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Cob (March 16th, 2015), cwent2 (March 16th, 2015), Dreck (March 16th, 2015), inlovewithjournals (March 16th, 2015), nico (March 17th, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (March 17th, 2015), Scrawler (March 21st, 2015), Xina (March 17th, 2015)

Thanks

Is it just me... or is the fountain pen pictured in the article lacking a feed?
    Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : '70s Pilot Elite pocket pen review

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

I disagree 100% with the thrust of that article; if you want the gallery to dictate how English should be used, then rubbish is what you'll get.

Knowameen, innit?

God help us.

Luckily I should be dead before the worst happens.

Cob

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (March 21st, 2015)

Thanks

I just keep thinking that there is some indefinable sweet spot, located between "grammar Nazis" and post-modern, relativist, anything-goes bullshit.

Maybe there isn't.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (March 17th, 2015), Dreck (March 16th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Meh. It's a strangely egalitarian thing if it's "elitism". It's more about promoting conformity and rewarding those who conform with membership in a supposedly (but not actually) elite group. We try to educate everyone to follow some rules, and most people can follow them if they want to. Many don't want to follow them precisely because they wish to conform to, and to be a recognized member of, a different group. I think the way we react to certain things in language reflects the way we feel about these other groups more than the way we feel about the language per se.
    --
    Mike

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

tandaina (March 16th, 2015), TSherbs (March 16th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

I will add that my spoken language is not very much like my written language. When you're participating in an on-line discussion, you must decide which way to lean on that score.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    from the Wall Street Journal, but via a columnist of the Times of London: [snip]
    Harrumph! Bloody Murdoch; what else would one expect?

Cob

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

Holsworth (March 17th, 2015)

Senior Member inlovewithjournals's Avatar
    Thanks

Ah yes I've had this debate when I worked with a linguist. Editors and linguists often have very different opinions on "proper" English usage; in my experience the linguist says a sentence is successful if the person is understood by another, regardless of whether the sentence follows the accepted rules of English grammar. I say you have a greater chance of being understood by another if we are both following the same set of rules. I accept that language is ever-evolving; that's what makes it so fascinating. But a set of rules is not pedantry; rather, it is a frame for the human experience, whatever language.

Thought-provoking article; thanks for posting TSherbs.
    Check out my blog: http://inlovewithjournals.wordpress.com/

The perfect place for a writer is in the hideous roar of a city, with men making a new road under his window in competition with a barrel organ, and on the mat a man waiting for the rent. - Henry Vollam Morton

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to inlovewithjournals For This Useful Post:

Cob (March 16th, 2015), Jon Szanto (March 16th, 2015), Potter (March 16th, 2015), tandaina (March 16th, 2015), TSherbs (March 16th, 2015), Xina (March 17th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Is it just me... or is the fountain pen pictured in the article lacking a feed?
    It does look odd. Maybe a fancy dip pen?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I just keep thinking that there is some indefinable sweet spot, located between "grammar Nazis" and post-modern, relativist, anything-goes bullshit.

Maybe there isn't.
    Sorry to be pedantic, but it's "maybe there ain't"

Sheesh...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 16th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    I will add that my spoken language is not very much like my written language. When you're participating in an on-line discussion, you must decide which way to lean on that score.
    I know what you mean. I type the Queen's English, but speak Missouri redneck.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

Robert (March 16th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Sorry to be pedantic, but it's "maybe there ain't"

Sheesh...
    Get off my lawn.

~ Benjamin Franklin

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

dneal (March 16th, 2015), Xina (March 17th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

In a recent Fortune article the results of a survey seem to back up the observation that the age group born after 1980 in the US are simply ignorant when it comes to the basics necessary to succeed in life or a job.Even in area where you might expect them to show superior skills that simply fall far behind their age counterparts from the First World nations and even behind older US citizens.

When the results were analyzed by age group and nationality, ETS got a shock. It turns out, says a new report, that Millennials in the U.S. fall short when it comes to the skills employers want most: literacy (including the ability to follow simple instructions), practical math, and — hold on to your hat — a category called “problem-solving in technology-rich environments.”
    Not only do Gen Y Americans lag far behind their overseas peers by every measure, but they even score lower than other age groups of Americans.
    Sorry but that report certainly matches my personal experience as well.

Fortunately for the US though those skills are not always that important when the job is lawn care, shining shoes, asking if "You want fries with that?" and so many other career paths and there is a near endless supply of youths from other countries to tackle the important jobs.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Cob (March 16th, 2015), inlovewithjournals (March 16th, 2015), Jon Szanto (March 16th, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (March 17th, 2015)

Thanks

Thanks, Jar. I had shared some of that data with others, and if anyone wants an aggregate, here is the story on HuffPost. As I took pains when I shared it before, I'm not into "millenial bashing", but I am definitely concerned not only for the future of the country I live in, but the planet I live on.

And I'm not even going to be here when the shit gets real. Or the chickens come home to roost. Or whatever proper English phrase would best apply.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Thanks, Jar. I had shared some of that data with others, and if anyone wants an aggregate, here is the story on HuffPost. As I took pains when I shared it before, I'm not into "millenial bashing", but I am definitely concerned not only for the future of the country I live in, but the planet I live on.

And I'm not even going to be here when the shit gets real. Or the chickens come home to roost. Or whatever proper English phrase would best apply.
    Ahem! Some of THOSE data please!

And the problem is most likely not confined to the USA.

When (Swede) Sven Goran Eriksson was appointed manager of the English Football Team, some wag observed "At last, an England manager who can speak proper English!"

Cob
    Last edited by Cob; March 16th, 2015 at 02:29 PM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 16th, 2015)

Thanks

My son recently was speaking to a new High School Graduate - She did not realize that Hawaii was an island or a state!

A sad state of intellectuals the schools are turning out.
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cwent2 For This Useful Post:

inlovewithjournals (March 16th, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (March 17th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cob View Post
    Ahem! Some of THOSE data please!
    Taken under advisement, with thanks.

ETA: I took this temporarily, for the reason that the term "data", as is in use within the last half-century, is still evolving due to the rapid changes in technology and the deliver and manipulation of information. I had no way of knowing how far I might have stepped over a line, but this very linguistic problem - "those" vs "this" data is unclear as to a set answer. I noted many sources that refused to come down on one side or the other, and even found one discussion of the problem that was 15 pages long.

So: I don't propose that my initial usage was correct, nor do I concede that it was incorrect. I'll just play dumb.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; March 16th, 2015 at 02:42 PM.

~ Benjamin Franklin

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Cob (March 16th, 2015)