Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earbud recommendations?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Default Earbud recommendations?

OK guys and gals, are any of you audiophiles?

I keep seeing ear buds on Massdrop and I'd like a nicer pair than the set that came with my phone but I've got no idea where to start. I sort of prefer the "in ear" variety, especially for travel, as they cancel out the screaming baby three rows back and the loud talker across the aisle sort of thing.

I have no idea which earbuds are good, which are hype. And I have *tiny* ear canals, really small so often the little rubber bits that come with earbuds are just too big to smash into my tiny ears and end up hurting. I like to listen to my folk music, classical music, classic rock, that sort of stuff. I do not need *booming* bass, or terribly loud earbuds either. I like my hearing thanks.

What would you recommend? Really don't want to spend more than $50. I could probably order *any* of hte ones they have on Massdrop and get something better than what came with my Galaxy 5 but you never know...
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Default Re: Earbud recommendations?

The Sony ones have 3 sizes of soft earpieces and sound pretty good. Not expensive (here, anyway)
    Some days, it's hardly worth chewing through the leather straps....

Thanks

Personally I'm not a fan of in ear phones - I have never found them comfortable. I much prefer on ear.

I'm a big fan of Sennheiser and have a pair of the momentum on ear phones and the MX 375 ear buds (they are often referred to as 'in ear' but they are not they are ear buds). The MX375 have a great balance and sound stage - I compared them to my pair of (never used) Sony in ears and they knock them out of the water for sound representation. At 12 GBP ($18) they're a huge bargain in my eyes. However they are not isolating in any way shape or form so:

A bit old now but Sennhesier CX 300 II reviewed very well and come in at $28.19 at Amazon otherwise the SoundMagic E10.

I presume you're using an iSomething (phone or pod)? If so I'd recommend the EQ10 app for an easy to use but functional equaliser.

Hope that helps.

ETA: sorry I have no idea about the size issue.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

I recently replaced my SkullCandy set with some Audio-Technica earbuds. Can't remember the model number (will check at lunchtime). They cost the princely sum of $17, including shipping all the way from South Korea. I got these as I ahve a set of studio cans at home, also from Audio-Technica that are just great. These new earbuds are very comfy for me and the soundscape is what I like.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlc View Post
    Personally I'm not a fan of in ear phones - I have never found them comfortable. I much prefer on ear.

I'm a big fan of Sennheiser and have a pair of the momentum on ear phones and the MX 375 ear buds (they are often referred to as 'in ear' but they are not they are ear buds). The MX375 have a great balance and sound stage - I compared them to my pair of (never used) Sony in ears and they knock them out of the water for sound representation. At 12 GBP ($18) they're a huge bargain in my eyes. However they are not isolating in any way shape or form so:

A bit old now but Sennhesier CX 300 II reviewed very well and come in at $28.19 at Amazon otherwise the SoundMagic E10.

I presume you're using an iSomething (phone or pod)? If so I'd recommend the EQ10 app for an easy to use but functional equaliser.

Hope that helps.

ETA: sorry I have no idea about the size issue.
    Nope, I've got an Android phone. (My husband works for Google so...)

Thank you for the recommendations! The ones that sort of sit on/in the little loop of your ear haven't ever worked well for me because I don't have a big bump or ear flap or whatever it is called so they tend to fall out. :\ The big headphones are obviously better but a pain to carry and travel with, so I end up with the ones you jam inside.
    Last edited by tandaina; April 23rd, 2015 at 05:26 PM.
    ---

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Ah, it was these: Audio Technica ATH-CLR100

EBay link

Thanks

Sony is the easiest choice, they have multiple sizes, and they last for a very long time, I'm currently using Sony MDR-NC31EM, and it's amazing.
    Writer-Supervisor at Lyrik
    Writer, Techie, Pen Enthusiast

Thanks

You're welcome.

I'm sure there's an equivalent app on android.

The problem with all head gear is that comfort is variable depending on anatomy even with the big jobs.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,008 Times in 819 Posts

I also like the Sennheiser headphones these come with a wide range of fitting options and only just over your budget (sorry)

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-400...rds=Sennheiser

Thanks

I've owned lots of in-ears. It's where most of my pen budget goes.

If you're buying off Massdrop the Beyerdynamic DTX 102 they have for $49 are good. Others to look for; Sennheiser CX400-II, Sony DREX61IP, Brainwavz M1.
    Last edited by velo; April 24th, 2015 at 10:18 AM.

Thanks

Velo

It would appear we have the exact opposite problems. I ended up with my current headphones because I spent part of the budget on pens.
    Last edited by carlc; April 24th, 2015 at 10:22 AM.

Thanks

Carlc these aren't hobbies for saving money but they can bring happiness to your day

Thanks

Oh absolutely. I love to shop for stuff like this. Lots of 'research' and reading.

Just need a bigger budget. May be if the kids stop eating a couple of days a week?

Thanks

Oh my gosh you guys Amazon had a daily deal on the Bowers & Wilkins P5 Headphones (lambskin on the ear cups!) yesterday for $179. Almost bought them but I was good. Went round in circles and finally went with the SoundMAGIC E10 as the balance between cost and reviews. Thanks for the help. I seriously hope I haven't picked up a new hobby.

(We've got the wood Klipsch speakers my husband picked up in England in the 80s when he was stationed there. So I can blame him for starting this, right?)
    ---

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 413 Posts

I came to the pen hobby from high end audio. Pens are a much cheaper hobby. If you value having money, I would not pick up this hobby.

A re-tip on my cartridge is $2800. The replacement cost on my speakers is close to $60k. Yep. Pens are cheap by comparison.

On the earbud/headphone front. I recommend Ultimate Ears if you can afford them. There is nothing like having custom monitors custom molded to your ears.
    2017 San Francisco Pen Show
    August 25-27th, 2017
    Sofitel San Francisco Bay Hotel
    223 Twin Dolphin Drive
    Redwood City Ca, 94065

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AltecGreen View Post

A re-tip on my cartridge is $2800. The replacement cost on my speakers is close to $60k.

Holy Hi-fi Batman that's nearly what I paid for my first house!

Thanks

I hate all earbuds. I have small ear canals, and I have never found a set of in-ear 'phones that will stay put.
    In my mug: Sailor 21 P-P M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger T-W M, Jinhao 159 , Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsities, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Ahab 1.1, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M, Hero 616 M, Jinhao X750

31 and counting

DaveBj

Thanks

On the lower end of basic spectrum the SkullCandy Walgreens 2XL brand is pretty awesome, for the price. There are much better pairs out there but I'm straight abusive to my earbuds. I feel less guilty about destroying a $9 pair every 2 months rather than a $50 pair.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Lower end, just remember that most of them are the same despite what the package says. I have to look for the article that talks about it. Personally, I use Ultimate Ears for home and a pair of skullcandy phones for away from home. If I'm flying, I have some Pioneer ear buds with active noise canceling to lessen jet noise.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Skull candy always stops working for me. I tend to use earbuds for music because I put them in my motorcycle helmets. I stick with the sony or jbl sets usually and am happy with them. Though I also use them as ear plugs because my motorcycle is loud and my helmet doesn't have much noise reduction.
    My Pinterest Feel free to add me on Facebook as well.