Thread: Just for Fun - Sheaffer Permanent Red

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 641 Posts

Default Just for Fun - Sheaffer Permanent Red

As I said the other day I have been buying Sheaffer's ink-well bottles; one (blue and yellow label) came full of permanent red.

Once again a scan and a photo; I think the scan is better today.

Rgds

CobSheaffer Perm Red Scan.jpgSheaffer Perm Red Photo.jpg

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (May 1st, 2015), earthdawn (May 1st, 2015), Jeph (May 2nd, 2015), Lady Onogaro (May 1st, 2015), Laura N (May 1st, 2015), mrcharlie (May 1st, 2015), Neo (May 1st, 2015), Potter (May 1st, 2015), reprieve (May 1st, 2015), Xina (May 1st, 2015)

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

Default Re: Just for Fun - Sheaffer Permanent Red

It's a pretty color. Reminds me a bit of Iroshizuku Momiji, how it leans a little toward pink. How permanent is it?

Thanks

I like using the old Sheaffer's Skrip inks and I like seeing other people review them. Thanks!

"Permanent Red" is a light red or dark pink, but true pink not hot pink. I have found it to be an ink that doesn't easily flush from the pen completely using only water; I use "pen flush"1 and more color comes out, but that is no big inconvenience. For me it has nice flow and works well in every pen I've tried it in.

I found a couple bottles (1950s vintage) on ebay for a pittance (1 unopened and 1 about 90% full for about 15 USD, shipped) after only a few weeks of watching for it back in 2012 or 2013. I don't know how often a nice bottle gets put up for sale there for a non-ridiculous amount; maybe I was just really lucky.

I think this color was replaced by the current color of "Red" around 1980.2

--
    Notes:

1. Diluted non-scented non-yellow household ammonia solution. Several nib-meisters post recipes for pen flush (anywhere from 3 parts to 9 parts ammonia to 1 part water, some add a drop or two of liquid dish detergent to a cup or so of solution). Or you can buy it pre-made from a number of vendors.

2. There have been two major changes to the Sheaffer Ink lineup since WW2. The first was during the Sheaffer-Eaton era, so sometime between 1976 and 1987, and I think it was around 1980 plus or minus two years. The other was when production was moved to Slovenia under BiC ownership in 2002. Reading between the lines of Pendemonium's notes on Sheaffer Ink it seems like "Red" changed at the ~1980 changes, and "Purple" changed in 2002. I know "Emerald Green" was changed when the name was changed to the current "Green" in 2002, and "Peacock Blue" became the oh so slightly different "Turquoise" in 2002 as well. "Blue" changed color at the ~1980 change.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrcharlie For This Useful Post:

Cob (May 1st, 2015), reprieve (May 1st, 2015), Xina (May 1st, 2015)

Thanks

Great stuff Mr Charlie, thanks.

As I said. My ink, a NOS full bottle came in a Blue-and-yellow box with matching label; it cost me £5.06 + £3.95 postage Buy It Now. The seller, vamazonltd, is still listing Sheaffer Permanent Red if anyone is interested at the same price.

Cob

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    It's a pretty color. Reminds me a bit of Iroshizuku Momiji, how it leans a little toward pink. How permanent is it?
    I was pondering how to answer your question - I realise I do not know how to assess permanency - apart from leaving the item in question for eighty years...

I splashed some water on it after about eight hours' drying and it ran quite a bit but the original text is still legible - if that helps!

Cob

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cob For This Useful Post:

reprieve (May 2nd, 2015)

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

Cob, yes that helps! I suppose by "permanent" I did mean water-resistant. It's hard to find a red that remains legible despite spills or raindrops.