Thread: Montblanc Noblesse repair

Thanks

Default Montblanc Noblesse repair

Hi there FPGeeks- I'm new to forum. I have a couple fountain pens I'd like to fix myself if possible, or at least diagnose better before I send out for repair. I'm an engraver/jeweler so somewhat handy paws.
    The first pen is a Montblanc Noblesse from about 1974? has a reservoir that you twist the plunger down and it should draw up the ink. but it doesn't. Would anyone offer step 1,2 or 3 that I could perform to diagnose what needs repair/replacement? I did soak it in warm water. The reservoir is now empty and I can see everything.
    many thanks for any guidance.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Montblanc Noblesse repair

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

What you call a reservoir is what is generally called a converter and fortunately with the Noblese it is one that meets the International Standard specs, cheap and easily replaced.

There are two major likely issues, dried ink in the feed (small black plastic piece below the nib) and the converter itself is defective.

As usual, patience will be your friend. Simply pull the converter straight out of the body separating it from the nib, feed and section assembly (metal part you write with, feed as described, section the place where your fingers go and associated threads that screw into the body).

Drop the whole nib, feed and section assembly into an ultrasonic bath and give it a good cleaning.

Put some water in a glass and test the converter; it is a piston that you turn to expel ink and then turn the other way to draw ink in. If it works and hold water fine. If not, simply get a new international standard push fit converter.

Once the nib, feed and section assembly has had a good bath, use an ear bulb to force water through from where the converter attached.

If all seems to work, reassemble and test using the converter. There may well be ink in there that dried for decades so one flush may not get it all out. Repeat as needed.
    Last edited by jar; May 24th, 2015 at 03:54 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: Montblanc Noblesse repair

Many thanks, Jar. I can do those things. Good to know about doing more than one flush. I'll post if I run into an obstacle.