Thread: Funky Pelikan 400 repair

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Default Funky Pelikan 400 repair

Hi all,

I got a great deal on this pen knowing it needed a restoration, but I wasn't expecting this:
    DSCF0852.JPGDSCF0853.JPG
    Any ideas as to how I could get the feed and nib collar out? I can't grip the nub that sticks out--it is too tapered and smooth to do so, even with rubber grip material. I don't care what becomes of the feed, or really even the nib collar--as long as the barrel is unharmed, I'm happy.

Thanks in advance!
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Re: Funky Pelikan 400 repair

If you can't get it out by gripping, it might be time to use a screw extractor (aka "easy-out"). I've never done this on something like a pen, but I have extracted broken-off bolts and screws. Not something I'd try without careful consideration!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (June 7th, 2015), Scrawler (June 7th, 2015)

Thanks

Is the feed intact but to far inside the section?
    If so the best option, not to damage it, is to take the blind cap out. To do that put the pen in water for 2 or 3 days and then heat a bit the barrel just above the blind cap and pull the blind cap. Use a rubber to grip it better while pulling.
    Sometimes itīs hard to take them out, but patience, extensive soaking and gentle heat should do the trick.

Then use some sort of rod and a knocking block to take the feed out from the back of the pen.
    To take the collar use a screw exctractor
    Be gentle with this and soak well the section to take all ink remains that act as glue in the collar threads.

If the feed is already broken you can try with a to use a small drill bit to drill it out from the section direction, no need to take the blind cap. Use a small diameter ( 1,5mm ) for instance at first and go from there till you extract it all.

This is how I would "attack" the problem
    Last edited by piscov; June 7th, 2015 at 02:00 PM.
    Best regards
    Vasco

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to piscov For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (June 7th, 2015), Marsilius (June 9th, 2015)

Thanks

I might approach this one a bit differently.

If you drive the feed backwards, into the barrel, it will relieve the pressure on the collar. If you then soak and heat the collar, you should be able to turn it out normally, at which point the broken feed will fall out of the barrel, and you can proceed as normal. And you have a spare collar (good parts are not to be underestimated, even little ones).

If the collar is truly stuck, you can use a dental chisel to (carefully) put some diametrical nicks in the collar, which would provide purchase for a flat screwdriver. You could then use that to turn it out. Alternatively, you can also ream it out from the inside, using increasing sizes of drill bits, just held in your hand (or in a pair of pliers). Did I mention the word "careful"?

Removing the filler from the outside works, but is a tricky business. Depending on which version of the 400 it is, it can be quite tight. It is generally best to remove these using a punch from inside the barrel. Pulling on the end of the section is pretty stressful for the barrel and the section/barrel connection.

Hope this helps.
    David Armstrong
    --
    www.restorersart.com
    • Antiques for Readers & Writers •
    --
    www.sevanti-letterpress.com
    • Guaranteed Fountain Pen Friendly •

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D Armstrong For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (June 7th, 2015), Marsilius (June 9th, 2015), sparkinflint (August 10th, 2015)

Thanks

The filler came out with little hassle. David, I'll try that method first, as it is less intrusive, once I soak the pen for a few days (though no ink came out when I soaked it earlier today)
    Will

Thanks

You may have another problem there also.

Please notice the section on your pen, it looks like it has a bulge in one of the sides, that is a possible indication that to much heat has been applied and the section has deformed when someone pushed the feed into the pen. This can make it more difficult to take the collar out.

The pen is a 400 or 400NN making the rear piston mechanism, including rear knob, relatively easy to take out if you do like Iīve described my previous post. There are no ridges like in the moderns M400 to hold the piston unit in place. Itīs only pressure fit so extensive soak before pulling it out is very important.

David makes a good point, his approach is easier to start with but itīs always better to also take the piston out to clean the pen and replace the gasket. But you can do that after you solved the feed/collar problem. And starting from the simplest solution to the hardest is always better.

One note though, if you push the feed into the pen you will probably ruin the feed if itīs still in good condition. Do not force to much the feed inside the barrel or you risk also ruin the barrel if there is something in there you are not aware off.

Another note: Soaking is no only to take possible remains of ink, is also to allow minimal differential change in volume in the barrel and piston unit and that will allow you to dismantle the pen more easily
    Last edited by piscov; June 8th, 2015 at 05:02 AM.
    Best regards
    Vasco

10. The Following User Says Thank You to piscov For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (June 9th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piscov View Post
    You may have another problem there also.

Please notice the section on your pen, it looks like it has a bulge in one of the sides, that is a possible indication that to much heat has been applied and the section has deformed when someone pushed the feed into the pen. This can make it more difficult to take the collar out.

The pen is a 400 or 400NN making the rear piston mechanism, including rear knob, relatively easy to take out if you do like Iīve described my previous post. There are no ridges like in the moderns M400 to hold the piston unit in place. Itīs only pressure fit so extensive soak before pulling it out is very important.

David makes a good point, his approach is easier to start with but itīs always better to also take the piston out to clean the pen and replace the gasket. But you can do that after you solved the feed/collar problem. And starting from the simplest solution to the hardest is always better.

One note though, if you push the feed into the pen you will probably ruin the feed if itīs still in good condition. Do not force to much the feed inside the barrel or you risk also ruin the barrel if there is something in there you are not aware off.

Another note: Soaking is no only to take possible remains of ink, is also to allow minimal differential change in volume in the barrel and piston unit and that will allow you to dismantle the pen more easily
    Good eye on the section deformation--I have noticed it myself, and worry that it may make removing the feed impossible in the first place--is there any way to straighten it out again before I try knocking out the feed?
    Will

Thanks

As the piston assembly is out, I will try to knock the feed out from the back of the pen.
    Will

Thanks

Iīm afraid not.
    If you have a lathe you can probably make it a bit better cosmetically from the outside , but thatīs all, the internal deformation, if exists will remain.

Try gently, the feed should get out easily with a few knocks.
    Best regards
    Vasco

14. The Following User Says Thank You to piscov For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (June 8th, 2015)

Thanks

I just tried to knock the feed out from the back. I tried clamping on the barrel (protected with a leather shoe lace wrapped around it), but I heard a very slight cracking sound just when it first became usably tight. I did try a few dozen light taps (wooden dowel and rubber mallet), but no progress was made. I thought about clamping the pen at the section, but wouldn't the pressure there only counteract the tapping force? I think I'm going to ditch the tapping idea altogether, as I have a hunch the feed does not want to separate from the collar (thus any downward force only would serve to perhaps crack the collar threads), and that they both need to be twisted out together.
    Will

Thanks

Before you knock it again leave the barrel ans section with feed inside water for 24h. That will help
    Best regards
    Vasco

Thanks

Fellow FPGeek Wile E Coyote was able to remove the old feed using a lathe and dowel, but there is now another issue: the butt of the new feed doesn't fit into the section. Here's a photo:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...gjmZNUg?feat=e mbedwebsite
    Any ideas?
    Will

Thanks

She's back up and running again!1442346399411-1402528092.jpg
    Last edited by fountainpenkid; September 17th, 2015 at 08:27 AM.
    Will

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (September 15th, 2015), Jeph (September 16th, 2015)