Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montblanc Meisterstück Blue Hour Twilight Blue Review

Thanks

Red face Montblanc Meisterstück Blue Hour Twilight Blue Review

This post is also live on my blog at Inks and Pens so please check it out!

Montblanc special edition inks are always a lovely thing to have! Occasionally, Montblanc comes out with a time-limited ink to commemorate "something," whether it is a person, event, or thing. Their Twilight Blue ink was released in tandem with their Meisterstück Blue Hour pens.

This ink comes in the regular Montblanc special edition 30mL bottle with a metal cap. The lip is quite wide and can accommodate even my thickest pen with ease.

Blue-black is normally not my favorite color, but after using this ink, I've grown to like it. Unlike most blue-blacks that tend to lean towards a gray color, this one has heavy presence of green undertones. However, it does not actually count as a teal or a blue-green yet.

This review was done completely with a Pilot Parallel 1.5mm on HP 32lb Premium Choice Laser Paper.

This ink behaves very well even with a dripping 1.5mm pen. There is very little feathering and barely any show-through. There is no bleed, even on spots where the paper is pushed to the extreme. The color has a medium amount of saturation and is a tiny bit dry.

What's really impressive is the amount of shading from this ink! It shades from a very light blue-black to a much darker and saturated shade. There is also quite a good amount of red-orange sheen that is quite hard to capture.

The chromatography of this ink shows a major blue portion (duh!) with large light-green part was well. There are hints of a bright sky-blue along the fringes too.

This ink isn't exactly the most water resistant, but it isn't too shabby either. The water test was performed by placing drops of water on the grid for 20 seconds then wiped away with a tissue.

After twenty seconds, the grid lines still has a very faint shadow of the ink and is barely visible. Thankfully, there is not too much wet smear when wiping.

This ink is a little on the pricy side but is cheaper than the other MB special edition inks. This can be found of $16 for a 30mL bottle, from your local Montblanc boutique and other Montblanc exclusive retailers.

Pros

• Beautiful shading
    • Plenty of red sheen
    • Great behavior

Cons

• A little pricy ($16 for 30mL)
    • Special edition (You will have to hoard it up!)
    • Not the most water resistant
    Do what you love to do and give it your very best. Whether it's business or baseball, or the theater, or any field. If you don't love what you're doing and you can't give it your best, get out of it. Life is too short. You'll be an old man before you know it.

Check out my pen blog at http://inksandpens.com/

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to musicman123 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

amro (May 7th, 2016), Bogon07 (August 6th, 2015), carlos.q (July 29th, 2015), Chrissy (July 29th, 2015), da vinci (July 29th, 2015), Haefennasiel (July 30th, 2015), Jeph (July 29th, 2015), KKay (March 3rd, 2016), Lady Onogaro (September 7th, 2015), Laura N (July 29th, 2015), Marsilius (March 6th, 2016), Robert (July 29th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 797 Posts

Default Re: Montblanc Meisterstück Blue Hour Twilight Blue Review

On my Ipad this ink looks a lot like Parker Quink blue-black.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

^^ In my opinion, in real life with my pens and paper, it does resemble both Quink and Waterman Blue Black. However, it doesn't have as much of a color change as those two -- it's got a more consistent color from wet to dry. In my pens, I love the ink flow -- it has a very lubricated feeling and wasn't unduly dry, but unlike the OP my pens had fine and medium nibs so that might explain our different impressions.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,369 Times in 3,979 Posts

I have looked around for this ink, and it's not the easiest one to find. When I asked, it wasn't available in the UK at my regular boutique, and now I find that it isn't available at the Montblanc boutique near to where I will be vacationing in the US. In fact, they have advised me I will need to buy it from New York.

It was available on the web-site when I went on there, but they charge for mailing it.

I have found it easier to source Pink ink or Daniel Defoe ink than this one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    ^^ In my opinion, in real life with my pens and paper, it does resemble both Quink and Waterman Blue Black. However, it doesn't have as much of a color change as those two -- it's got a more consistent color from wet to dry. In my pens, I love the ink flow -- it has a very lubricated feeling and wasn't unduly dry, but unlike the OP my pens had fine and medium nibs so that might explain our different impressions.
    I also think it is quite similar! However, Waterman Blue-Black always seems a tad less green than this one. I have the Waterman also inked up (don't know why), and it seems to go to a slightly grayish color as it dries, to me at lest.

Thanks

I'm going to admit that I actually did not pick this up at a regular MB boutique. My local fountain pen shop just happened to have a bottle while the store was doing a 20% off sale, so I snagged it.

It's probably harder to find as it is a very new addition and hasn't been out for very long. It will get easier as time goes on though!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

This is an interesting ink, not enough to make me hunt for a bottle, but if I see one in DC I'll probably snag it.

Thanks for the review!

Thanks

I ordered it from the website - and it pretty much doubled the cost of the ink and they then sent it Royal Mail. Love the ink by the way. But not pleased about the delivery charges they added.

Thanks

I really like the JFK and Tolstoy blues but Blue Hour, while nice, reminds me too much of Waterman Blue black, a tried and tested workhorse in this house.
    If you are in the UK, it is always worth looking at the Wheelers web site - they ship free of charge. They are currently listing Blue Hour for £11 and Tolstoy for £12 including UK postage. https://www.wheelersluxurygifts.com/...in-pen-refills

Thanks

Last month I ordered a bottle for $19.00 from a seller linked to Amazon. It has shipped and should be here by week's end. Looking forward to giving it a try.

Thanks

Just caught this review - thanks a bunch, nicely done! I've recently entered a truce with this brand due to a purchase of 'permanent grey' and am almost willing to overlook what they do outside of ink...
    BTW: In the US, Anderson pens has it for $16.-
    Last edited by inklord; September 7th, 2015 at 09:22 PM. Reason: added info

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RobC View Post
    I really like the JFK and Tolstoy blues but Blue Hour, while nice, reminds me too much of Waterman Blue black, a tried and tested workhorse in this house.
    If you are in the UK, it is always worth looking at the Wheelers web site - they ship free of charge. They are currently listing Blue Hour for £11 and Tolstoy for £12 including UK postage. https://www.wheelersluxurygifts.com/...in-pen-refills
    That's where I usually get mine :-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Last month I ordered a bottle for $19.00 from a seller linked to Amazon. It has shipped and should be here by week's end. Looking forward to giving it a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    Just caught this review - thanks a bunch, nicely done! I've recently entered a truce with this brand due to a purchase of 'permanent grey' and am almost willing to overlook what they do outside of ink...
    BTW: In the US, Anderson pens has it for $16.-
    Well, that last bit of information may have come a little bit too late for Robert! :O Thanks @inklord! I'll probably get my second bottle there.
    Do what you love to do and give it your very best. Whether it's business or baseball, or the theater, or any field. If you don't love what you're doing and you can't give it your best, get out of it. Life is too short. You'll be an old man before you know it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RobC View Post
    That's where I usually get mine :-)
    Sadly, the shipping to US is 30GBP or 20GBP. Otherwise, the prices are quite nice!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

I tried this ink at the SF Pen Show -- and it is VERY similar to Iroshizuku Tsuki Yo (VERY similar, not identical).

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

bluesea (October 8th, 2015), inklord (September 10th, 2015), KKay (March 3rd, 2016)

Thanks

Just ordered from Anderson's. Bluish-peacock, yum.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluesea View Post
    Just ordered from Anderson's. Bluish-peacock, yum.
    Went to Anderson's B&M store last Monday and got a bottle there; just a tad more saturated than PI Tsuki Yo and nice sheen where it pools. Beautiful old-fashioned bottle. I'm really warming up to this brand. Also: nice talk with Lisa and Brian Anderson - what a marvelous place!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to inklord For This Useful Post:

bluesea (October 8th, 2015)

Thanks

I was really amazed by this color and the sheen was extremely gorgeous

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vanishsophie For This Useful Post:

bluesea (October 8th, 2015), inklord (October 8th, 2015)

Thanks

I will try this ink again today as it refill my pens for work tomorrow day. Great review....Thank you.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Quink, Mysterious Blue and Blue Hour.

Indistinguishable, IMHO.