Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What did you buy at the 2015 DC show?

Thanks

Default What did you buy at the 2015 DC show?

My first purchase was an Omas Ogiva Alba and a Delta. I missed the OA when these were available and was happy to find one at a great price. I also added a pen to my Delta Indigenous People collection. This one is Ainu from Japan. This one was at an amazing price.
    IMG_4616.jpg

At the Franklin Christoph table, I picked up a Model 33, which I have wanted for a long time, and 3 pens in prototype colors. One Model 20 and two Pocket 66s.
    IMG_4608.jpg

I bought another Vanishing Point, this one with a stub nib, and another tool pen. I didn't have the orange yet. This one is a really nice writer.
    IMG_4612.jpg

Here are all eight of the day one pens together
    IMG_4618.jpg

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (August 16th, 2015), caribbean_skye (August 14th, 2015), da vinci (August 15th, 2015), earthdawn (August 14th, 2015), Haefennasiel (August 18th, 2015), inklord (August 17th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (August 15th, 2015), Llewellyn (August 22nd, 2015), reprieve (August 15th, 2015)

Thanks

Default Re: What did you buy at the 2015 DC show?

I also picked up some ink. The Orange Crush cartridges go great with the tool pen. The little Iroshizukus will be great for travel.
    IMG_4614.jpg

I also bought a Franklin Christoph 20 pen case, some JB's pen flush, two Rhodia webnotebooks and a Rhodia R pad with one of the new cyan covers.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Bogon07 (August 17th, 2015), Cocobird (March 6th, 2017), Crazyorange (August 14th, 2015), cwent2 (August 14th, 2015), da vinci (August 15th, 2015), earthdawn (August 14th, 2015), Jon Szanto (August 14th, 2015), Lady Onogaro (August 15th, 2015), penultress (August 18th, 2015), reprieve (August 15th, 2015), TerraNoir (August 18th, 2015), Zhivago (August 14th, 2015)

Thanks

I got my first Edison. Wanted to meet Brian Grey & discuss the choice with him. I pick a 76 in Jungle Jazz (my name) with an 18k med. Brian said he felt steel was just as good. From my writing with both, I prefer the 18k. Slightly smoother and softer, which was perfect. I've written a lot with the 76 and it feels great. Doesn't post. The balance is great. As it is light weight, no effort to use. Also got 3 WASP pens (2 at auction), I just learned of them & love the Circuit Board pattern. 3 10ml J. Herbin ink bottles, real cute, $4, great way to sample some colors without getting a full bottle. My first Ackerman ink. Two bags of Callifolio ink. Brad recommended.

Signed up Sat for Sun with Mike Masuyama. One of the reasons I went to the show. He fixed the 22K nib on my Platinum President & ground my Delta Zen 14k B to a left oblique. As Mike said, nib no longer boring. I fell in love with OB nib on the Parker 45 I got from Susan Wirth. Mike used that as a guide to what I wanted for the Zen.

Ron fixed my Watermans 54 Inkview. This was beyond my skill set. It has a wonderful flex nib. Extra fine to 1.8mm with slight pressure. Now it will be added to my daily carry.

My first DC Show was a resounding success. Love the venue. Made a ton of new friends. Didn't sleep much. Have great conversations with many people. Met the Goulets & many others I only knew on the web. Got some great bargains. Found some rare books at a great price.

When I get time I'll post my videos on these wonderful new additions. My channel chrisrap52.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ChrisRap For This Useful Post:

amk (August 20th, 2015), Bogon07 (August 17th, 2015), Cocobird (March 6th, 2017), Crazyorange (August 17th, 2015), da vinci (August 17th, 2015), Haefennasiel (August 18th, 2015), TerraNoir (August 18th, 2015), Zhivago (August 18th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

I bought an Aiken Lambert dip pen.

Fred

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Cocobird (March 6th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post

Fred
    I wish I had your reserve. Next time I'm hanging out with you and keep my wallet plump.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

Cocobird (March 6th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    My first purchase was an Omas Ogiva Alba and a Delta. I missed the OA when these were available and was happy to find one at a great price. I also added a pen to my Delta Indigenous People collection. This one is Ainu from Japan. This one was at an amazing price.
    IMG_4616.jpg

At the Franklin Christoph table, I picked up a Model 33, which I have wanted for a long time, and 3 pens in prototype colors. One Model 20 and two Pocket 66s.
    IMG_4608.jpg

I bought another Vanishing Point, this one with a stub nib, and another tool pen. I didn't have the orange yet. This one is a really nice writer.
    IMG_4612.jpg

Here are all eight of the day one pens together
    IMG_4618.jpg
    Congrats on a nice bag of pens (I'd be in 'overwhelmed fits') especially on the F-C pocket 66's - one of my two favorite pens!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to inklord For This Useful Post:

Haefennasiel (August 21st, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

While I didn't go all out I know the best thing I got from the show was to meet the best people I have ever encountered.

I did get some journals and ink from Bung-Box. The Sweet Potato Purple I got from Vanness before i left actually but that was from my pen show budget so I had to include it. The bottom pins on my weekend trader pass are the new Black Pen Society pins that our own Marta designed !!! AWESOME !!!! I got some ink and my girlfriend a pen from the Anderson's. I had more that I purchased from them but they left it at the store JUST in case i did not make the show. I told them I was not 100% sure... until i walked in and hugged Lisa lol. I got a really nice Journal from Leigh Reyes that she had made. She had a few to hand out. But i think the homer of purchases was having Deb Kinney grind my Shoji medium to a CI. Leigh told me i should let her have a go at it and that was all I needed to hear especially since I was unable to get in Masuyama or Binders que. She did an amazing job and what she charged at the show was just silly. $35 to grind it with ZERO wait. I don't know why i didn't let her grind a couple more... that was kind of dumb. But i will seek her out the next show she's at.

There were a couple of things i forgot to get of course and there are a couple of pens that sold out so I have to contact them about the wait time etc.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (August 18th, 2015), Crazyorange (August 18th, 2015), cwent2 (August 18th, 2015), Haefennasiel (August 18th, 2015), inklord (August 22nd, 2015), Lady Onogaro (August 17th, 2015), penultress (August 18th, 2015), TerraNoir (August 18th, 2015), Tracy Lee (August 18th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Oh good grief, I knew there would be a confessional. So, a few bottles of ink (Iro yama budo and ku jaku, MB Poppy Red, R&K Cassia, Akkerman 25 Denneweg Groen, 10ml bottles of J Herbin Ambre de Birmanie and Rouge Bourgogne), a small size Nock Fodderstack and index cards, a leather case for 3 pens, a leather case for 24 pens, some pen flush, cartridges for the VPs . . . And 5 pens. Two Newtons, two from Jonothan Brooks, and a Franklin-Christoph.

The Newtons - the fattest Shinobi he has ever made he said (Alabaster Swirl) and a dual ended pen in Olive Water Acrylic:

The Brooks - Green Fury with Rhodium and Black Titanium trim (very heavy pen) and his green combustion (smaller, no hardware)

And a Franklin-Christoph prototype Model 20 made for the Miami Pen Show and they had one left they brought to me. There were more made for DC, but maybe a different model? Not sure. This one totally beyond my usual taste AND it has an extra fine nib. Like I had a fever or something but I love it.

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Tracy Lee For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (August 18th, 2015), cwent2 (August 18th, 2015), dannzeman (August 18th, 2015), earthdawn (August 18th, 2015), Haefennasiel (August 18th, 2015), inklord (August 21st, 2015), Lady Onogaro (August 18th, 2015), Llewellyn (August 22nd, 2015), penultress (August 18th, 2015), reprieve (August 19th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

I like all the pens, but the Franklin-Christoph the most, Tracy Lee! The cap looks a bit like those mountains and waves in Hokusai's The Great Wave.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (August 18th, 2015), Tracy Lee (August 18th, 2015)

Thanks

I am jealous, yes, jealous.

That Shinobi Alabaster Swirl is engraved in my brain, foreve! Yes, I am jealous, but wit=sh all the fun, and enjoyment you can have with it.

Thanks

Great posts - thanks for sharing everyone 😊

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyorange View Post

Fred
    I wish I had your reserve. Next time I'm hanging out with you and keep my wallet plump.
    Well...there was also the early Sheaffer pre-lifetime BCHR flattop from the PCA auction (really nice pens!), a 3rd-tier Italian pen (brand TBD) for my ray celluloid collection, a 19th century eraser (scraper) and three books by Jim Marshall. I was supposed to get a bottle of Diamine Blue Velvet I ordered, but the Andersons never seemed to find it.

I sold a fair amount at my table. I've never seen the DC show so crowded on Saturday.

Fred

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (August 19th, 2015), Jon Szanto (August 18th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Lee View Post

The three-dimensional effect is striking! Who offered these two pens?

Fred

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Lee View Post

The three-dimensional effect is striking! Who offered these two pens?

Fred
    The green was made by Shawn Newton and the material is Olive Water Acrylic but comes in lots of other equally lovely colors (blues, pinks, purples). The pink/black/white came from Franklin-Christoph and I've no idea what it is called or where it comes from. I just know the depth caught me and I was sunk.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tracy Lee For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (August 19th, 2015), earthdawn (August 19th, 2015), jeffraffe (May 8th, 2016)

Thanks

I did really well pen shopping on Friday, but I was having a lot of trouble Saturday and Sunday. Not much was jumping out at me. I kept circling trying to find stuff to buy. Here are the few things I bought Saturday morning.

$50 hand painted converters. Extravagant, but I was really having troubling finding things to buy. The pens are Platinum and they were there $35. They are smooth writers and show off the converters nicely. Hopefully I'll find some higher end pens for the converters in the future.
    IMG_4776.jpg

Here are the pens with a Sailor I got from Fahrney's bargain area. It was $100. Last year, I paid the same amount for a Mont Blanc diamond roller ball that had a clip with initials that had been buffed out.
    IMG_4779.jpg

Two Kaweco Sports in Lego colors and some West German monster pens that were 3 for $10
    IMG_4773.jpg

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:

amk (August 24th, 2015), Bogon07 (August 22nd, 2015), Crazyorange (August 22nd, 2015), da vinci (August 22nd, 2015), earthdawn (August 21st, 2015), Jon Szanto (August 25th, 2015), mrcharlie (August 22nd, 2015), VertOlive (August 21st, 2015)

Thanks

I think those "monster" pens were made by Reform.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

So I totally forgot to show y'all what I brought back from the show. There's the film and Emerald of Chivor from my good buddy Jim. Two Louis Vuitton ink samples (I didn't even know they made ink!) from my friend Richard. A vintage safety filling Waterman 15VS with a wicked flex nib that I snatched from Chatterley Luxuries. And the crème de la crème of the group, the Lambrou Pens LB6 Passion in Flame Red #00 of 10!

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (August 26th, 2015), da vinci (August 26th, 2015), earthdawn (August 25th, 2015), Tracy Lee (August 25th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    A vintage safety filling Waterman 15VS with a wicked flex nib that I snatched from Chatterley Luxuries.
    Not just wicked, but a music nib, at that. Punk.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    A vintage safety filling Waterman 15VS with a wicked flex nib that I snatched from Chatterley Luxuries.
    I wish it was a music nib!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I wish it was a music nib!
    Crapola - in the photo I thought I saw two breather holes, but now I realize it is ink. Still a good get.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

dannzeman (August 25th, 2015), Tracy Lee (August 25th, 2015)