Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Curious: Why do expensive ballpoint pens exist?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Default Just Curious: Why do expensive ballpoint pens exist?

Well the obvious answer is: Because there are people who buy those.

First of all, I was shocked to see some ballpoints that are priced alongside top tier fountain pens.

I wonder why? Why would one spend a lot of money on something that writes the same no matter what you do with it?
    You can't tune, swap or grind the ball on the ballpoint and suddenly it writes differently, can you?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Just Curious: Why do expensive ballpoint pens exist?

Why do people pay more for steak when they could just buy hamburger? There is more to life than mere function.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Hawk (October 1st, 2015), TheInkluminati (October 1st, 2015)

Thanks

Aesthetics, ergonomics, and prestige. Or some subset thereof.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Fountain Pen For This Useful Post:

RNHC (October 7th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,591 Times in 699 Posts

Where does expensive start? I think the most I've ever paid for a ballpoint is about $39 for a special edition Fisher Space Pen. I've spent rather more than that for quite a few fountain pens certainly, but I've also found good fountain pens for less than $39. If you include vintage ones which I was able to restore myself, that even includes some excellent gold nibs and attractive vintage celluloids.

My attitude is similar to the O.P.'s in that I'd consider a ballpoint just a holder for a refill, and it's the quality of the refill that really counts. Buying a Montblanc ballpoint seems to me a bit like getting a Ferrari station wagon (if there were such a thing). Still, there are attractive ballpoints very well made with expensive materials, and can understand why they would cost more than your run of the mill Jotter.

It's unlikely that I'll ever buy another ballpoint, as I have a mini collection of classic Jotters and Space Pens, and use my fountain pens much more often anyway. But if I had never gotten into fountain pens at all, I could see treating myself at some point to a "fancy" ballpoint for $50 or so.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

penwash (October 1st, 2015)

Thanks

You could use the same logic for many pens...isn't the Pelikan series just a set of expensive holders for nibs that could otherwise go in Indian ebonite pens? More handwork probably goes into those pens anyway...

Or that everything from TWSBI's, to the humble Edison production line up to the Omas LE's for 3000+ USD are essentially just nib holders for Bock/Jowo production nibs..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    You could use the same logic for many pens...isn't the Pelikan series just a set of expensive holders for nibs that could otherwise go in Indian ebonite pens? More handwork probably goes into those pens anyway...

Or that everything from TWSBI's, to the humble Edison production line up to the Omas LE's for 3000+ USD are essentially just nib holders for Bock/Jowo production nibs..
    Not all Bock/Jowo nibs are created equal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post

Not all Bock/Jowo nibs are created equal.
    'tis true. on the other hand, the nibs can be bought loose from various online dealers and be fit to custom pens from people like Newton Pens, Edison Pens, Scriptorium Pens, etc.

As I've delved a bit into the custom pen world, I've realized that a pen is a nib holder. A beautiful one, yes, but still a nib holder.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,591 Times in 699 Posts

You could put it that way if you wanted. The difference is that a ballpoint refill is a complete unit which could even be used as a pen by itself in a pinch, but cannot be modified in any significant way (apart from small hacks to get it to fit into a different pen). It's also disposable. A fountain pen brings together a number of components to make a complete pen, nib, feed, and filling system. It's also not tied to a small range of inks.

Any two ballpoints or rollerballs with a given refill are going to write about the same. I've used a Pilot G2 rollerball with a Montblanc refill, a tiny little bit of plastic trimmed off the end. The only differences will be how it feels in your hand, the cost of the materials, and how attractive the design is. Two different fountain pens with the same nib may write very differently depending on how the nib and feed have been tweaked.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks

Why do people pay more for steak when they could just buy hamburger? There is more to life than mere function.
    Because steak is different than hamburger.
    I get that there is more than just function.

But a ballpoint is a ballpoint. Is there a smooth, toothy, scratchy, feedback-y, upside-down, oblique, wet/dry, springy, flexible ... ball in a ballpoint? Like nibs in FP?

Thanks

To me, there is a difference. As the unit that houses the nib, the FP can either hinder or enhance the writing experience, precisely because a nib has many aspects (and characters) to it, that is capable of producing different effects.

But a ballpoint is designed with a ball, which one of the intentions behind it is to eliminate those "characters", making the instrument easier to use and cheaper to mass produce.
    However at the same time, squash all the nuances of writing.

Don't get me wrong, my Fisher Space Pen has been with me through so many situations in so many years. But it's a $17.50 pen.
    Last edited by penwash; October 1st, 2015 at 01:04 PM.

Thanks

I have spent around $79 for a ballpoint.

For me it is about ergonomics more than aesthetics. I use a Fisher Space Pen refill when I have to use a ball point because it requires no pressure; the ink cartridge itself is pressurized. It makes for a more comfortable writing experience.

And also for reasons of comfort, I prefer the Sensa squishy grip to all of the other Fisher Space Pen styles. When I can't use a fountain pen, I want to use the most comfortable pen I can.
    I can tell where I'm not wanted.

Someday that'll be on my tombstone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Because steak is different than hamburger.
    I get that there is more than just function.

But a ballpoint is a ballpoint. Is there a smooth, toothy, scratchy, feedback-y, upside-down, oblique, wet/dry, springy, flexible ... ball in a ballpoint? Like nibs in FP?
    Kinda. There is feels good, feels like crap, looks good, looks like crap, functions well, functions like crap and many other traits also found in fountain pens.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

First of all, I was shocked to see some ballpoints that are priced alongside top tier fountain pens.

I wonder why? Why would one spend a lot of money on something that writes the same no matter what you do with it?
    You can't tune, swap or grind the ball on the ballpoint and suddenly it writes differently, can you?
    Usually ballpoints of the same product group are cheaper than the fountain pens, but you're right that they can still be very expensive. I have bought a few. I bought them because I thought they were attractive. I'm not Jewish (despite having the last name of an Old Testament prophet) and so was not attracted by that angle, but I was nevertheless taken with the blue material that the Delta Dreidel blue ballpoint was made of, so I bought one. These can currently be had for less than $100 on eBay, which is, of course, quite expensive compared to just anything that accepts a Parker-style gel refill, but it did not seem too bad.

Then again, after carrying it to work and writing with it, I realized that I was not as enamored with the shape of the pen in my hand as I'd hoped. C'est la vie. But the resin (aka plastic) it's made from is just beautiful.
    --
    Mike

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

penwash (October 1st, 2015)

Thanks

Kinda. There is feels good, feels like crap, looks good, looks like crap, functions well, functions like crap and many other traits also found in fountain pens.
    Yep. There are many forums that debate the advantages and disadvantages of different ball point and gel refills. Just like we see here with ink and nibs. There is quite a fanatical following of the pilot g2 and the Uni-ball signo.
    I can tell where I'm not wanted.

Someday that'll be on my tombstone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nospam666 View Post

Yep. There are many forums that debate the advantages and disadvantages of different ball point and gel refills. Just like we see here with ink and nibs. There is quite a fanatical following of the pilot g2 and the Uni-ball signo.
    No kidding!
    I guess I shouldn't be surprised, after all, we'd argue about which leg should go into the pants first, right?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

I've often thought that the person who is put off by the fuss and splatter of a fountain pen but who still wants an eye catching, "special" pen is the person who would buy a Dolce Vita ballpoint.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (October 7th, 2015), penwash (October 2nd, 2015), Scrawler (October 11th, 2015)

Thanks

Why indeed!

Why, a fool and his money are soon parted I say!

I would never

CRAP!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to TheInkluminati For This Useful Post:

Neo (October 1st, 2015)

Thanks

I think ballpoints are good for experiencing highly unusual materials, such as the above HS. Other ones could the the Omas celluloids whose fountain pens can be over $500 in price.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisC For This Useful Post:

penwash (October 2nd, 2015)

Thanks

Well the obvious answer is: Because there are people who buy those.

Why buy a BMW when you can buy a Kia Rio? Why buy a Rolex when you can have a Timex? As Jar said, it isn't just about function.

David

Thanks

Admittedly, however, ebonite, celluloid, and Visconti's hydroscopic lava material do offer enhanced feel that will help with writing for long periods of time, enjoyably.