Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: WHERE IS ERIC?

Thanks

Default Re: WHERE IS ERIC?

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    If the place is not important to you ("its just an internet chat forum"; "shrug"), and you don't like the people here ("gossip mongers"), and you don't want the future of the forum discussed ("none of our business"), why are you here on this thread? Why do you get to tell committed members what they can discuss? Why criticize and demean people who are expressing their feelings about a place that is important to them?

If this attitude is going to be the tenor of the new FPG forum, I predict people will not be happy here. So there's no need to worry about "how to structure the site," because it will be just a few disinterested folks showing up every once in a while.

Eric has asked for ideas -- on the website -- and he seems to be reading people's posts. He isn't telling people to shut up. My advice, if he reads this, would be the opposite of yours. I'd advise him to listen to the people with the most attachment to the site, who have contributed the most, who have a real stake in this place. The people who care about the forum, who were upset by losing it, who've been here a while and post a lot -- that's the community. They are the people to listen to. They make the forum.

JMHO.
    I guess I have as much right as the folks who have been swearing and calling Eric names. One poster even went so far as to try to publicly "shame" people (an effort doomed to failure, because it only shows the misplaced anger of the poster).

You are all entitled to your feelings and opinions. I am simply disagreeing with them (I assume there is no requirement of conformity here). This thread had a good bit of anger and scuttlebutt before I posted.

I am NOT trying to tell anyone what they "can" or "cannot" write. That would be a foolish endeavor.
    As much right as folks who have been swearing and calling Eric names means no right. Those people were wrong too. Also, you weren't simply disagreeing with feelings, you were dismissing them. It's not the same. Saying "Come on, it's just a pen forum" suggests that you think it's silly to care about something unless you care about it. I strongly suspect that there are things that matter to you that I wouldn't give a rat's arse about, but I wouldn't dream of putting you down for it.

You weren't telling people what they can or can't write, but you were judging what people should or shouldn't feel. Which might not be foolish but certainly comes off as a bit rude.

All that now off my chest, I also believe everything you said was in good faith, and I think "blow it out your ass" is an overly hostile reaction.
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snedwos View Post
    I also believe everything you said was in good faith, and I think "blow it out your ass" is an overly hostile reaction.
    But I said it in such a light-hearted manner!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I also believe everything you said was in good faith, and I think "blow it out your ass" is an overly hostile reaction.
    But I said it in such a light-hearted manner!
    I see where the interpretation went sideways. Next time, try saying it like this: "Blow it out your ass, wheeee!"

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (March 7th, 2015), fountainpenkid (March 7th, 2015), Jon Szanto (March 7th, 2015)

Thanks

Or use Comic Sans and a happy colour!
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to snedwos For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 7th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (March 7th, 2015), TerraNoir (March 7th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Until Fred can step in with some help, this will have to do.

blow it out your ass.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    If the place is not important to you ("its just an internet chat forum"; "shrug"), and you don't like the people here ("gossip mongers"), and you don't want the future of the forum discussed ("none of our business"), why are you here on this thread? Why do you get to tell committed members what they can discuss? Why criticize and demean people who are expressing their feelings about a place that is important to them?

If this attitude is going to be the tenor of the new FPG forum, I predict people will not be happy here. So there's no need to worry about "how to structure the site," because it will be just a few disinterested folks showing up every once in a while.

Eric has asked for ideas -- on the website -- and he seems to be reading people's posts. He isn't telling people to shut up. My advice, if he reads this, would be the opposite of yours. I'd advise him to listen to the people with the most attachment to the site, who have contributed the most, who have a real stake in this place. The people who care about the forum, who were upset by losing it, who've been here a while and post a lot -- that's the community. They are the people to listen to. They make the forum.

JMHO.
    I guess I have as much right as the folks who have been swearing and calling Eric names. One poster even went so far as to try to publicly "shame" people (an effort doomed to failure, because it only shows the misplaced anger of the poster).

You are all entitled to your feelings and opinions. I am simply disagreeing with them (I assume there is no requirement of conformity here). This thread had a good bit of anger and scuttlebutt before I posted.

I am NOT trying to tell anyone what they "can" or "cannot" write. That would be a foolish endeavor.
    As much right as folks who have been swearing and calling Eric names means no right. Those people were wrong too. Also, you weren't simply disagreeing with feelings, you were dismissing them. It's not the same. Saying "Come on, it's just a pen forum" suggests that you think it's silly to care about something unless you care about it. I strongly suspect that there are things that matter to you that I wouldn't give a rat's arse about, but I wouldn't dream of putting you down for it.

You weren't telling people what they can or can't write, but you were judging what people should or shouldn't feel. Which might not be foolish but certainly comes off as a bit rude.

All that now off my chest, I also believe everything you said was in good faith, and I think "blow it out your ass" is an overly hostile reaction.
    I suggested moving the speculation and rumor and vulgarity to pm's. It seems to me that the private ownership and corporate issues are none of our business, and that it is inappropriate for us to speculate on them openly.

Thanks

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ste_S For This Useful Post:

antirealist (March 27th, 2015), Chemyst (November 10th, 2017), Crazyorange (March 27th, 2015), dr.grace (March 28th, 2015), Marsilius (March 27th, 2015), Neo (March 27th, 2015), Potter (March 27th, 2015), Xina (March 28th, 2015)