Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pen for beginners

Thanks

Default Pen for beginners

Hi All!

I'm looking to purchase my first fountain pen for my travel journal for some upcoming trips. I've been reading a lot over the last few days and have come across a lot of pens. I'm most likely going to start off by just using cartridges and may switch to ink in the future but not sure. The two pens I have been hearing great things about are the Lamy Safari and Kaweco Sport Classic. Are there any others I should look at and which ones do you prefer?? Also was size Nib would be good me just starting out? I appreciate any and all help
    Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,591 Times in 699 Posts

Default Re: Pen for beginners

Welcome to the forum!

I'm getting a bit leery about these first fountain pen threads. There are lots of relatively affordable models one can mention, but it's hard to say what's best for somebody else. If you can consider up to around $40, for example, you could look at the Pilot Prera. Some people might find it too small and light, though. The Pilot Metropolitan gets a lot of recommendations as a first pen. It's well made and inexpensive. Personally I find it uncomfortable to hold, others do not.

Nothing wrong with either pen that you mention. Whatever model you get, you might want to consider for the future what types of converters are available for it. Cartridges are convenient for travel, but if you want to fill from a bottle later, you'll probably want a converter. There is a good converter available for the Safari, and the Pilot models that I mentioned actually come with them (or should). You can buy a Kaweco converter, but it doesn't work very well in my experience. The Kaweco can also be eyedropper filled, where you fill the entire barrel of the pen with ink. Probably not a good idea when you're traveling, though. Empty cartridges can be refilled with a syringe. Get a blunt needle.

I assume that you're going to get some experience with your pen and learn its quirks before you head out on your travels. If you're flying, be aware that the changes in air pressure can sometimes cause a pen to burp ink. I "never had a problem" but that doesn't mean you won't. The usual advice is to carry the pen either empty or full (if it's full, there isn't any extra air to expand). Carry it nib up if at all possible, and put it in a zip-lock bag if it's in your luggage.

A given nib size can mean different things depending on the maker and the country of origin. Japanese nibs can run a bit finer than German ones. I'd probably pick a medium for a Pilot pen, a fine for a Lamy or Kaweco, but I don't think you'd go horribly wrong with either a fine or a medium from any of those makers. Unless your handwriting is really tiny, or your journal is very small, in which case you could consider a fine or even extra fine. Probably best not to get an Italic nib at first, although they can be fun.

Hope that helps a bit. There are many other pens you could get besides the ones already mentioned. Platinum makes some models which are worth looking at, but I'd rather leave specific recommendations to people who have used them.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

dksuri (November 12th, 2015), Jeph (November 12th, 2015), Sailor Kenshin (November 13th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dksuri View Post
    Hi All!

I'm looking to purchase my first fountain pen for my travel journal for some upcoming trips. I've been reading a lot over the last few days and have come across a lot of pens. I'm most likely going to start off by just using cartridges and may switch to ink in the future but not sure. The two pens I have been hearing great things about are the Lamy Safari and Kaweco Sport Classic. Are there any others I should look at and which ones do you prefer?? Also was size Nib would be good me just starting out? I appreciate any and all help
    Thanks in advance!
    There are a lot of good ones. It depends on your needs and likes. What pen size and weight do you like, for example? Cartridges do make sense when traveling. Do you want to write with a fine line or a wider line? Not knowing, I think the size "fine" is a good all-purpose size.

If you are going cartridges -- which I love -- the Kaweco Classic Sport takes short international size cartridges, which gives you more ink options than the Safari, which only takes proprietary cartridges. The Classic Sport is smaller; the Safari may be more durable -- both are good for travel.

Since you're traveling an inexpensive pen is a great idea.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

dksuri (November 12th, 2015)

Thanks

One warning about the Safari: it has a triangular grip section, which some people find uncomfortable. Other people have no issues with it. It all depends on how you hold your pen. I have no experience with Kaweco, so I can't comment on that one.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Fountain Pen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,869 Times in 810 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fountain Pen View Post
    One warning about the Safari: it has a triangular grip section, which some people find uncomfortable. Other people have no issues with it. It all depends on how you hold your pen. I have no experience with Kaweco, so I can't comment on that one.
    Yes, the famous triangular grip section is designed to help first time fountain pen users to learn a proper tripod grip while writing. A fountain pen is NOT a ballpoint and should not be used like one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fountain Pen View Post
    Yes, the famous triangular grip section is designed to help first time fountain pen users to learn a proper tripod grip while writing. A fountain pen is NOT a ballpoint and should not be used like one.
    Be that as it may, I enjoy a wide variety of fountain pens, but not the Safari. I find the triangular grip section uncomfortable. In the end, I gave mine away. The person I gave it to has no issues with the section and is very happy with the pen. So... My Safari got a good new home, and I happily write with my non-triangular pens. It may be that I hold my pens "improperly," but I'd rather have pens that can be held the way I want to hold them than have pens that force (or "teach") me to write in a way that I find uncomfortable.

Thanks

My first good fountain pen was a Parker 51, and what I didn't realize in 1970 was that it would turn out to be the best pen I ever had. $25 the set in 1970.

The next good new fountain I bought was in 1983, when I bought a Montblanc 144. $135 in 1983. These two pens are the best I have ever used. Not so much Pilots, Sailors, Pelikans, bigger Montblancs, Sonnets, Watermans, etc. Sometimes you should ignore the static and go for the gusto, unless you want to try every other pen just for the fun of it.

Thanks

I am pretty new to fountain pens also. I use a Safari quite a lot, and I do enjoy using it. The grip doesn't bother me. You said you were getting it for a travel journal. If you do get a Safari, (sigh...so many pretty colors haha), I would recommend getting a Fine or maybe an extra fine nib. I bullet journal in a Moleskine, and it doesn't seem to bleed through. If it's a higher quality journal, with better paper, you may not care to much about how the ink looks on the paper. But that might be a small consideration when you are looking at pens.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Taidragon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The pilot Kakuno has a six sided grip that helps you hold the pen correctly. I find it much more comfortable than the Safari. Although I do hold my pen with a standard grip, I could never hold the Safari for more than 30 seconds without wanting to throw it across the room.
    I can tell where I'm not wanted.

Someday that'll be on my tombstone.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Since he or she is traveling and wants to use cartridges, I think that narrows down the selection nicely, cutting down a whole bunch of good pens. And also some duds.

If the OP wants to spend more, the Pelikan P200 is intriguing, too. But maybe too pricey, since the nibs supposedly aren't interchangeable. Someday I'd really like to try that one.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I am happy with the Lamy Safari. I used to keep one by my chair since it was indestructible and even if I did ding it up it did not matter. I will mention that I far prefer the plastic (cheaper) one to the metal (AL) Safari. Also they are a little large for a shirt pocket in my opinion.

The Kaweco is fine as long as you do not plan to graduate to a converter with it. The converters for the Kaweco Sports are horrible. The pen itself is very nice as you can plop it into a pants pocket with minimal (but non-zero) risk.

To go a bit retro the basic Parker 45 can be had for around the price of a Safari but you will have to use Parker cartridges which limits the available colors. I have never looked for a non-Parker source for cartridges in more colors so they may exist. It can also be completely disassembled without tools and is nearly indestructible plus fits nicely into a shirt pocket and has no cap threads that may annoy you.

As far as nib size, look at what your normal handwriting is like and try to match that. There was a measurement that you could do to find out "your" nib width but I can't remember where I found it. It was accurate (EF) for me. With no other information I would start with either a Western medium or fine.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeph For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Pilot Metropolitan or, if you want to stick with cartridges, a pen that accepts standard internationals, for better ink variety (J.Herbin, Montblanc and Diamine offer lots of colors in carts...) The Kaweco sounds good for that. Lamy cartridge ink is soso at best (and I'm a Lamy fan...)
    To determine your nib size: try to find someone with a German/European pen (tend to be bolder) and with a Japanese pen (tend to be finer) If that is possible, try out one of each in any given, but known width. If your "e" and "l" loops are filled with ink in normal writing, get a finer nib than the one you've tried. If they are wide open and a bit shaky looking, get a bolder nib that just doesn't fill the loops with ink. Most of all: have fun!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to inklord For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    Since he or she is traveling and wants to use cartridges, I think that narrows down the selection nicely, cutting down a whole bunch of good pens. And also some duds.

If the OP wants to spend more, the Pelikan P200 is intriguing, too. But maybe too pricey, since the nibs supposedly aren't interchangeable. Someday I'd really like to try that one.
    I had a P200. Neat pen, feels vintage, and can also be eyedroppered! Gave it to a friend though (I just didn't reach for it often enough)

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

You picked two good pens, and I think you'll be satisfied with either. But, you should know that they each have a bit of strangeness. The Kaweco is a pocket pen, so it will not be "normal" size unless posted. The Safari has a triangular grip, which bothers some people.

Others to consider include the Noodler's Konrad (which may require some tinkering, but the bonus is you'll learn how fountain pens work), the Pilot Prera (a little higher priced, but a good pen), and some of the Jinhao pens (cheap, but decent). The Parker Vector is also a nice introductory pen. It's reliable, if not very exciting, and it was my introduction to the fountain pen world. Also, some of the TWSBI pens can be introductory pens. The Mini is great and so is the Classic. I don't know the newest model, but it is designed to be entry level.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Waski_the_Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

I use a Safari every day. I like it. But I also like the Kaweco.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

I'll throw another pen(s) to consider. Faber Castell "Loom" or "Basic." Sturdy pens, both $40 or less depending on where you buy from, will take standard international cartridges or converters, and have fantastic nibs. I've used broad (which I love) and have tried medium and fine (medium being my preference of the two). I have a Loom in metallic blue with a broad nib that I really enjoy using. The looks of the pen took a little time to grow on me, I will admit. Some don't like the metal section, but I don't have trouble with it.

My first pen was a Safari, and while they are just fine, I personally just don't like the aesthetics. And the proprietary cartridge/converter can be annoying to some. Along the lines of proprietary ink systems, I also got a Pilot Metropolitan early on and still use that pen every day (it's my lab pen with bulletproof ink!). I would also highly recommend those pens; they're cheap, sturdy, nice simple design, nice nibs, and just plain work.

My best advice would be find somewhere or someone who has pens you're looking for and TRY THEM OUT! Save yourself time and money by getting to hold the pen, write with it (if the shop will let you), check out different nib sizes in a brand, and see the pens in person before dropping the dollars on one. If you're travelling around, you don't want to be stuck with a pen that's uncomfortable for you or that you just can't stand to write with after too long.

Good luck!

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemguyethan For This Useful Post:

dksuri (November 13th, 2015), inklord (November 13th, 2015)

Thanks

You don't mention if your trips include air travel, but flying with inked fountain pens can present some challenges. Like you, I am new to fountain pens. I have a trip starting next week and would like to use a fountain pen with my journal so I will stick an empty Kaweco Classic Sport in my bag along with a box of cartridges and ink the pen when I get off the plane.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,751 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeph View Post
    I am happy with the Lamy Safari. I used to keep one by my chair since it was indestructible and even if I did ding it up it did not matter. I will mention that I far prefer the plastic (cheaper) one to the metal (AL) Safari. Also they are a little large for a shirt pocket in my opinion.

The Kaweco is fine as long as you do not plan to graduate to a converter with it. The converters for the Kaweco Sports are horrible. The pen itself is very nice as you can plop it into a pants pocket with minimal (but non-zero) risk.

To go a bit retro the basic Parker 45 can be had for around the price of a Safari but you will have to use Parker cartridges which limits the available colors. I have never looked for a non-Parker source for cartridges in more colors so they may exist. It can also be completely disassembled without tools and is nearly indestructible plus fits nicely into a shirt pocket and has no cap threads that may annoy you.

As far as nib size, look at what your normal handwriting is like and try to match that. There was a measurement that you could do to find out "your" nib width but I can't remember where I found it. It was accurate (EF) for me. With no other information I would start with either a Western medium or fine.
    The Kaweco con I bought for my Sport did not fit the pen at all. I was compelled to say that.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

dksuri (November 13th, 2015)

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

There have been some great recommendations so far. I will echo what everyone else has said about the Lamy Safari, Pilot Metropolitan, Pilot Prera, Kaweco Sport, and Faber Castell Loom. They are all wonderful inexpensive pens and I own and use each of them regularly.

I will also toss out a few other suggestions: The Lamy Logo. It uses the same nibs as the Safari/Al-Star, but its aesthetics are cleaner and more grown up. If you're worried about the triangular grip, the Logo has a round grip, though it is a smaller and thinner pen than the Safari/Al-Star. Since you want to use cartridges, I will actually say something positive about Lamy's ink options: their violet, copper orange, turquoise, and green inks are really pretty and are all well-behaved. I'm also a fan of Lamy Blue and Blue-black, but others find them boring. If you do, too, know that there are some other ink color options for Lamy that are available in cartridges.

My other suggestions are both from Platinum: the Platinum Plaisir and the Platinum Cool (or Balance if you prefer a solid color rather than a demonstrator). The Plaisir is a really nice snap-cap pen that won't dry out and comes in some nice colors. They're reliable writers, even if the nibs are a little boring compared to some of your other options. The Cool is one of my new favorites. I have it in blue and use it everyday at work with Platinum Carbon Blue cartridges (one of the few waterproof inks available in cartridges, if that matters to you). It's a lovely writer, the nib is somewhat bouncy rather than totally stiff, and it puts down a reliable line. The fine nib is very fine, though, so if you want a thicker line, you should go with the medium nib on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nom de plume View Post
    You don't mention if your trips include air travel, but flying with inked fountain pens can present some challenges. Like you, I am new to fountain pens. I have a trip starting next week and would like to use a fountain pen with my journal so I will stick an empty Kaweco Classic Sport in my bag along with a box of cartridges and ink the pen when I get off the plane.
    I have flown hundreds of times (literally) with my fountain pens. I've had very few problems, even when the pens are half-full (or half-empty ), as long as I remember to put them nib-up. I carry several inked pens in a pen case and put the case in the seat pocket in front of me to ensure that they remain nib-up for the entire flight. The only leaks I've ever had were with a few vintage pens and an Edison bulb-filler.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reprieve For This Useful Post:

dksuri (November 13th, 2015), Nom de plume (November 13th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Welcome!
    The others already addressed the pen choices and I agree with them all.
    I would add a recommendation to get a restored Esterbrook J pen if you like to write with vintage pens that is quite reliable. I love Esterbrook pens.

The nib size, I found out that it depends on how we write. If you tend to write smaller characters/letters, then XF or F would be your safe choices.
    Notice that the size of your writing does not necessarily correspond with the size of your hands. I've seen a gentleman with largish hand who wrote very neat little letters.

I tend to write smaller, although practicing with my Kaweco which has a 1.1mm stub nib, has taught me to appreciate larger writings.
    Plus I like to sketch, so XF and F are my choices.

There are people who just love M and B. You may be one of them.