Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What inks have you mixed--for good or bad?

Thanks

Default What inks have you mixed--for good or bad?

So, a couple nights ago, my Monteverde was getting really low on ink. Rather than washing it out and refilling, I thought I'd just add a little more to the converter and go. I added some Diamine Eclipse, and about an hour later, remembered that the previous fill had been Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite. Seems to be okay, and actually there is a fabulous shimmer that I had never seem in either before.

So that got me wondering: what other ink combos would be good? And equally important: what disastrous choices should I avoid? Any other experimenters out there?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Default Re: What inks have you mixed--for good or bad?

I mix inks all the time. Always in a vial & usually I leave to stand for 24 - 48 hours before using, especially when mixing brands. But I'm not very methodical and rarely keep notes of my mix ratios - that's too boring for me :-) I can usually re-create a mix by eye, more-or-less, if I want to replicate it later.

This is a recent mix. I like purples and this was a happy accident - I was making up a load of ink samples to send to friends and a moment of distraction meant I added 2 syringes into one vial. Herbin Poussière de Lune + Waterman Tender Purple. The result is a nice, wet, shading dark purple ink I nicknamed Lunar Purple.

image.jpg

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (November 22nd, 2015), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (July 14th, 2019), Neo (November 22nd, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,510 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JackdeSpadas View Post
    So that got me wondering: what other ink combos would be good? And equally important: what disastrous choices should I avoid? Any other experimenters out there?
    I mix inks, but only in vials, not in pens. I would avoid mixing a waterproof ink with a water based ink.
    There are a number of dyes that can be used to make ink, from which an infinite number of different colours/saturations can be mixed. That's what ink manufacturers do.

Binder Burgundy is a well known mixture from Richard Binder. Equal parts Sheaffer Skrip red and Waterman Purple.

You can also make Parker Penman Sapphire by using Diamine Majestic Blue plus a bit of Diamine Sapphire Blue. When chroma tested next to PPS, the results are the same.
    Last edited by Chrissy; November 22nd, 2015 at 02:50 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I mix inks, but only in vials, not in pens. I would avoid mixing a waterproof ink with a water based ink.
    There are a number of dyes that can be used to make ink, from which an infinite number of different colours/saturations can be mixed. That's what ink manufacturers do.

Binder Burgundy is a well known mixture from Richard Binder. Equal parts Sheaffer Skrip red and Waterman Purple.

You can also make Parker Penman Sapphire by using Diamine Majestic Blue plus a bit of Diamine Sapphire Blue. When chroma tested next to PPS, the results are the same.
    Do you have the ratio/proportions of those two, Chrissy? I can't remember...!
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Captain View Post

Do you have the ratio/proportions of those two, Chrissy? I can't remember...!
    This is the 'official recipe' but when I mixed it I added much less water.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Neo (November 22nd, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,754 Posts

So, a couple nights ago, my Monteverde was getting really low on ink. Rather than washing it out and refilling, I thought I'd just add a little more to the converter and go. I added some Diamine Eclipse, and about an hour later, remembered that the previous fill had been Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite. Seems to be okay, and actually there is a fabulous shimmer that I had never seem in either before.

Duz not mix Noodler's Baystate inks wif eny other ink.

I've mixed all kinds of inks, except those, willy-nilly, and have only had two sludge or particle reactions. Those were both modern inks in vials.

I sometimes long for the days when I had fewer than ten pens and they were all cartridge fillers. I never cleaned them, just snapped in a new cart and lived in the sheer bliss of Ink Gradually Changing Color.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post

Duz not mix Noodler's Baystate inks wif eny other ink.

I've mixed all kinds of inks, except those, willy-nilly, and have only had two sludge or particle reactions. Those were both modern inks in vials.

I sometimes long for the days when I had fewer than ten pens and they were all cartridge fillers. I never cleaned them, just snapped in a new cart and lived in the sheer bliss of Ink Gradually Changing Color.
    I have heard several tales regarding Bay State Blue, but it never hurts to be reminded. Makes for a good trail of info for the next inquiring individual.

Thanks

Thanks for the tip regarding waterproof and water-based. Might be interesting to see what happens, but not to put in a pen.

Having seen how informative your other threads have been, I'm going to breathe a sigh of relief that you did not send me running for the pen flush after reading about my little "experiment". http://fpgeeks.com/forum/images/smil...ilies/hail.gif
    Last edited by JackdeSpadas; November 22nd, 2015 at 04:17 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

I have mixed inks a little, mainly with some ink or other that I wasn't otherwise going to use. However, I once bought two fresh bottles of Pilot Namiki Blue to mix with some Noodler's Midway Blue. The ratio is 2 parts Namiki to 1 part Noodler's. Namiki Blue has nice water resistance, is wet, and is lubricious, but it dries to a dusky, uninteresting color. The addition of Noodler's Midway Blue creates something more like Sailor Souten.

namikimidwaysouten.jpg
    --
    Mike

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (November 22nd, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    I have mixed inks a little, mainly with some ink or other that I wasn't otherwise going to use. However, I once bought two fresh bottles of Pilot Namiki Blue to mix with some Noodler's Midway Blue. The ratio is 2 parts Namiki to 1 part Noodler's. Namiki Blue has nice water resistance, is wet, and is lubricious, but it dries to a dusky, uninteresting color. The addition of Noodler's Midway Blue creates something more like Sailor Souten.

namikimidwaysouten.jpg
    That's an impressive match!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    I mix inks all the time. Always in a vial & usually I leave to stand for 24 - 48 hours before using, especially when mixing brands. But I'm not very methodical and rarely keep notes of my mix ratios - that's too boring for me :-) I can usually re-create a mix by eye, more-or-less, if I want to replicate it later.

This is a recent mix. I like purples and this was a happy accident - I was making up a load of ink samples to send to friends and a moment of distraction meant I added 2 syringes into one vial. Herbin Poussière de Lune + Waterman Tender Purple. The result is a nice, wet, shading dark purple ink I nicknamed Lunar Purple.

image.jpg
    Hi Migo,
    Sorry for seeming to pass this up. This try is the first time the pic loaded for me. I like how your Lunar Purple turned out!

Thanks

Yes, but I didn't know it was going to match. I didn't even want to match, really, since I mixed up around 200ml of "Namikiway Blue" maybe a couple of years ago and just got Souten a few weeks ago. It's all good, though. I really like the color, and Souten has more red "sheen".
    --
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 1,870 Times in 811 Posts

Namiki blue is great for mixing precisely because of its water resistance. Some time ago I mixed it with Waterman South Seas Blue and came up with something between Edelstein Topaz and Iro Kon-Peki. Called it ”Seapilot blue"

Thanks

I should add that I mixed Namiki Blue with Noodler's North African Violets and got bubbles and a precipitate. No go on that one!
    --
    Mike

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

JackdeSpadas (November 22nd, 2015)

Thanks

I'll have to put it into a pen and write a bit, but I have a mixture of Private Reserve Fiesta Red, J.Herbin Rouge Hematite, and Montblanc Seasons Greetings Brown. It was an attempt to recreate Sailor Grenade. It needs to be darker for that to be successful, but I rather enjoy how it turned out and the shading I get out of it.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

JackdeSpadas (November 22nd, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Yes, but I didn't know it was going to match. I didn't even want to match, really, since I mixed up around 200ml of "Namikiway Blue" maybe a couple of years ago and just got Souten a few weeks ago. It's all good, though. I really like the color, and Souten has more red "sheen".
    I love(d) Sailor Sky High. Anybody got a recipe for that?
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

I should add that I mixed Namiki Blue with Noodler's North African Violets and got bubbles and a precipitate. No go on that one!
    Reminds me of a sign I saw once: Stand back! We're doing Science here!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to JackdeSpadas For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (November 27th, 2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
    I'll have to put it into a pen and write a bit, but I have a mixture of Private Reserve Fiesta Red, J.Herbin Rouge Hematite, and Montblanc Seasons Greetings Brown. It was an attempt to recreate Sailor Grenade. It needs to be darker for that to be successful, but I rather enjoy how it turned out and the shading I get out of it.
    That sounds really cool. If you do write with it and were to post a sample, I think you would find a more than casually interested audience here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    I love(d) Sailor Sky High. Anybody got a recipe for that?
    I have a sample of Sky High plus a sample of the new version Souten. In practice you wouldn't notice any difference.

Similarly, in practice you wouldn't notice any difference between Grenade and the new version Oku Yama.

The new versions contain the same dyes as the old versions. They are easily available on ebay or Amazon for reasonable prices.

Thanks

Thanks for the tip regarding waterproof and water-based. Might be interesting to see what happens, but not to put in a pen.

Having seen how informative your other threads have been, I'm going to breathe a sigh of relief that you did not send me running for the pen flush after reading about my little "experiment".
    No need to run for pen flush if an experiment works LOL.