Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I may have a problem

Thanks

Default Re: I think I may have a problem

Sailor, that just might be it! I tend to print fairly slow, and I use cursive fairly fast. I have tried to slow down my cursive though, and make it "prettier/MORE LEGIBLE". I have just about nailed down the notebooks I like, and I many times will test each ink in different notebooks. Now I have a dedicated INK JOURNAL, yes you heard that right. I also have a practice writing notebook, and a ink test notebook. Once I get through with the sampling, and buying, it will be tempting to try more. But, I must resist as much as possible. I can see I have a definite problem with GREEN ink, turquoise, & burgundy/maroon. I haven't even tried the pinky/purples yet. I am not even going to try a black, I'm burnt out on black ink, and regular blue like you see with ballpoint pen ink is another. A light blue is great, or a darker blue. (darker blue will get my attention later on) The Sargasso Sea does have a chance though, to get in the lineup, maybe a 30ml bottle. I was going to try the Sherwood Green today, but just realized I have a green already going. I just tested the Jade too. I am going to put that in another pen later. At this point it is very likely I will buy Jade, Lierre Sauvage, and Sailor greens. The Jade is a blueish type green, to me. It doesn't seem like there is blue in it, until you look at other greens right next to it. I really like it. The only other green I would like to try is Mont Blanc Irish Green...but samples will not be available. So....I will probably not get that one, at least not any time soon.
    Last edited by KKay; February 9th, 2016 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks

Today I tried the Sherwood Forest in the Pilot Prera F nib. I really like this G R E E N too. I am going to try this in another wider nib pen, in the near future. I think this is another one I am going to want. Looks like the green inks are going to prevail.

Thanks

This thread just made me giggle. I, too, have an ink habit, though I do not have your restraint. I order samples at will, just to try things out, the more varied the colors the better. That being said, and knowing it means nothing because we all have our preferences, one of my favorite is J Herbin's Rouille D'Ancre. I find it to be more brown than the photos depict and it has lovely shading

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to distracted_mom For This Useful Post:

KKay (February 11th, 2016), naimitsu (February 12th, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (February 12th, 2016)

Thanks

distracted_mom I am glad it made you giggle. I really thought 12 was going to be the magic number, until I started finding so many that I liked. I just updated my list on page one. I don't think I have much restraint. I am definitely going to be above that dozen, that is for certain. You mentioned shading. Shading is something I found I truly love in an ink. It may be my downfall yet!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by distracted_mom View Post
    This thread just made me giggle. I, too, have an ink habit, though I do not have your restraint. I order samples at will, just to try things out, the more varied the colors the better.
    Woo-hoo! I'm not the only one
    Out of curiosity, do you catalog your samples? If you do, what's your method?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by naimitsu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by distracted_mom View Post
    This thread just made me giggle. I, too, have an ink habit, though I do not have your restraint. I order samples at will, just to try things out, the more varied the colors the better.
    Woo-hoo! I'm not the only one
    Out of curiosity, do you catalog your samples? If you do, what's your method?
    I would love to say that there is some sort of method to my madness, but there really isn't. When I bought my first set of samples, I used my great-grandmother's dip pen to test them all out in the same notebook. And then I got lazy. Or distracted. Or both.
    Hmmmm. Now I am starting to think that I should catalog them.
    Or I may just continue my free-spririted ink-loving ways!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to distracted_mom For This Useful Post:

KKay (March 7th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 Times in 1,745 Posts

I like the idea of an Ink Catalogue. Not only could I paste in my latest ink tests, but also scribble notes like, Supreme Stainer, Never Buy Again, or Must Get Second Bottle.

Kinda saving myself from expensive mistakes.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

KKay (February 13th, 2016)

Thanks

I started cataloging my stuff... per one of our interns, my binder is "the most Asian thing" he's ever seen be do!
    If anyone is interested, I'll post up my PDF for the 4-on-1 sheet I've been using to catalog... though I'm thinking of doing something like the Andersons, but with a 2"x2" card in slide sheets instead of business cards... but that's only a thought at the moment

12. The Following User Says Thank You to naimitsu For This Useful Post:

KKay (March 7th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I like the idea of an Ink Catalogue. Not only could I paste in my latest ink tests, but also scribble notes like, Supreme Stainer, Never Buy Again, or Must Get Second Bottle.

Kinda saving myself from expensive mistakes.
    organizing an inkdiction is "one way" of managing it!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

I started cataloging my stuff... per one of our interns, my binder is "the most Asian thing" he's ever seen be do!
    If anyone is interested, I'll post up my PDF for the 4-on-1 sheet I've been using to catalog... though I'm thinking of doing something like the Andersons, but with a 2"x2" card in slide sheets instead of business cards... but that's only a thought at the moment
    I now catalogue my inks on 3.5 x 3.5" white artist tiles (cards made for designs such as Zentangles) & then store them in albums designed for the purpose. Each album has 24 sleeves (in effect double-sided pages) & holds 288 tiles in slot-in transparent pockets, 6 each side laid out in a 2 x 3 grid, (12 per sleeve).

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

KKay (March 7th, 2016), naimitsu (February 12th, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (February 12th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    I now catalogue my inks on 3.5 x 3.5" white artist tiles (cards made for designs such as Zentangles) & then store them in albums designed for the purpose. Each album has 24 sleeves (in effect double-sided pages) & holds 288 tiles in slot-in transparent pockets, 6 each side laid out in a 2 x 3 grid, (12 per sleeve).

You bad...:O)

Thanks

Totally going to steal this idea!
    What weight are you using? I see 2 from Strathmore: 100lb and 120lb.
    I'm guessing that it doesn't cause undue spread or feathering?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Totally going to steal this idea!
    What weight are you using? I see 2 from Strathmore: 100lb and 120lb.
    I'm guessing that it doesn't cause undue spread or feathering?
    I use the Peter Pauper ones. The card isn't perfect but it's pretty good overall. Very little feathering. No bleed through at all. A good bright white card. Given that I use it mainly to catalogue the ink colour so I can do quick comparisons, I'm very happy with the set-up.

I buy mine here in the UK. Here are the links to Amazon US :-)

Tiles

http://www.amazon.com/Studio-Artists...s=Artist+tiles

Album

http://www.amazon.com/Studio-Artists...s=Artist+tiles

I'll post a pic in the morning if it will help?
    Last edited by migo984; February 12th, 2016 at 03:08 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

naimitsu (February 13th, 2016)

Thanks

I use a Black N Red notebook to put in ink swabs. I do a lazy catalog. I have a section for GREEN, turquoise, blue, and gray so far. I do a small test sample with a pen as well. Then I have a dedicated ink journal where I write notes with some of the different inks. I talk about what I liked, or didn't like in there. I also talk about what notebooks I like. I think I saved 4 pages to write about those in there. I write also in an ink test notebook, that I plan to save, even when full. I write the pen I used, what ink it is, how I think it is doing. So it may be redundant. One of the notebooks is white, the other ivory. That way I can see how the ink writes with both colors of paper as well.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to KKay For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (February 13th, 2016)

Thanks

i would love to see a pdf of it

Thanks

Default I think I may have a problem

KKay - you are not the only one with a problem. I bought over 50 bottles of ink in 2015 and this is after having over 100 samples and I went on a sample buying hiatus for 2015. It is easy to go down the rabbit hole but what a fun ride it is. If you enjoy writing letters, even if you dont participate in InCoWriMo you should consider writing to fellow fp lovers. I have discovered all sorts of inks through letters that were not even on my radar. If you are still looking for MB ink samples, Anderson Pens offers samples of MB inks, including irish green.
    Last edited by caribbean_skye; February 13th, 2016 at 08:36 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to caribbean_skye For This Useful Post:

KKay (February 13th, 2016)

Thanks

Dang Carribbean_Skye...you have me beat. Remember my initial goal was 12 though. I failed that. Today I got my R&K Alt-Goldgrun in. I wasn't expecting it until March, so that was cool. Looks like it came all the way from Germany. I wasn't expecting that. I have a bottle of Sailor coming from Japan. It isn't supposed to be here until mid-March. But they already sent it this way. I have no idea when it will get here. They didn't write in English. I guess I could use Babylon or something. All I know is it is coming. That is good enough.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KKay View Post
    Dang Carribbean_Skye...you have me beat. Remember my initial goal was 12 though. I failed that. Today I got my R&K Alt-Goldgrun in. I wasn't expecting it until March, so that was cool. Looks like it came all the way from Germany. I wasn't expecting that. I have a bottle of Sailor coming from Japan. It isn't supposed to be here until mid-March. But they already sent it this way. I have no idea when it will get here. They didn't write in English. I guess I could use Babylon or something. All I know is it is coming. That is good enough.
    Lol. Lets just say I more than doubled my ink stash after the 50 odd. Trying to use up what I have before buying more but the Faber Castell deep sea green is calling my name. I admire your wanting to keep it to 12 but I am not surprised it didnt happen.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to caribbean_skye For This Useful Post:

KKay (February 14th, 2016)

Thanks

I'm afraid it will go to 16-20. Of course I can't do it all at once. A little at a time maybe. I hope to keep it under 20. But at this point, I can't promise anything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KKay View Post
    I'm afraid it will go to 16-20. Of course I can't do it all at once. A little at a time maybe. I hope to keep it under 20. But at this point, I can't promise anything.
    heehee. Do let us know when it tops 20, Im curious about the time frame. Last year i didnt buy ink often but when I did it was 6+ bottles at a time. We all like to enable each other here so I am sure if you mention a sample you are possibly interested in, someone may offer to send you a sample.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to caribbean_skye For This Useful Post:

KKay (February 14th, 2016)