Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to get scratches off of polystyrene pen?

Thanks

Default how to get scratches off of polystyrene pen?

I have a pen that was given to me. It has light scratches all over the body. What can I do to take them out? I know different grit wet sandpaper will do it, at intervals. But I can't afford to buy a bunch of different grits right now. Is there something else I could use, like baking soda paste or something? I thought about using a Miracle Cloth on it, but don't want to mess up the pen. It writes beautifully.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Default Re: how to get scratches off of polystyrene pen?

If it really is plastic, I've used Novus plastic polishes for quite a while, to great effect. You can buy a small 'kit' on Amazon which has 3 little bottles: a mildly abrasive polish, a lesser abrasive one, and a clear cleaner/final polish liquid. Here's a link.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

inklord (April 16th, 2016)

Thanks

Thanks Jon! That would be great. I appreciate it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KKay View Post
    Thanks Jon! That would be great. I appreciate it.
    Always go with #2, because that should take off anything but really bad scratches, and then clean up and polish with #1. I only use #3 for really bad cases, and especially where I'm not all that concerned about the outcome. Use sparingly, take your time, do all polishing by hand.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Got it! Thanks for the extra tip. I will certainly do it all by hand. I don't want to mess this little gem up!

Thanks

Got it! Thanks for the extra tip. I will certainly do it all by hand. I don't want to mess this little gem up!
    Another tip: find an old pen, a real beater, and practice on that. It will give you a feel for how to work with this stuff - and any other restoration, really - before working on the actual pen.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Good idea. I don't have an old beater, but my friend may. Thanks Jon.

Thanks

Toothpaste, like Colgate works well too. We used to use it to take scratches out of Plexiglass at a glass shop. You want the original type white paste.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PenH For This Useful Post:

inklord (April 16th, 2016), KKay (April 16th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PenH View Post
    Toothpaste, like Colgate works well too. We used to use it to take scratches out of Plexiglass at a glass shop. You want the original type white paste.
    This is a good tip. Another use I've found, though only had to do it twice, were with pens where the cap threads were a little on the tight side (usually due to shrinkage in the cap). A little dab of toothpaste on the threads and then work the cap on and off (don't tighten too hard) will take off just enough material to make the threading of the cap a bit looser. Easy to clean off with a damp cloth.

~ Benjamin Franklin

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

inklord (April 16th, 2016), KKay (April 16th, 2016), wastelanded (April 22nd, 2016)

Thanks

Thanks folks so much. I will try the toothpaste first, since it's cheaper. I will get a traveler size, it will be cheap, if they have it. I had also wondered about a baking soda & water paste too. Should be similar to toothpaste.

Thanks

Will it also prevent cavities from forming on the pen? (Just kidding - great tips!)
    Last edited by inklord; April 16th, 2016 at 01:19 PM. Reason: corrected a typo

Thanks

I realized after I read this that I do have Colgate for sensitive teeth. I got it when I was having trouble with a tooth. But it has a whitening agent in it. So I would hesitate to use it. The toothpaste is white though.

Thanks

The toothpaste is white though.
    I guess the whitening agent is pretty good.

~ Benjamin Franklin

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

KKay (April 16th, 2016)

Thanks

Well the pen is black. I don't want it to whiten it. That would be with multiple use though. Maybe it would be safe enough to try. I will think it over, and maybe try a small section.

Thanks

I realized after I read this that I do have Colgate for sensitive teeth. I got it when I was having trouble with a tooth. But it has a whitening agent in it. So I would hesitate to use it. The toothpaste is white though.
    It depends on what the whitening agent is. I would use the original non-whitening Colgate though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    Will it also prevent cavities from forming on the pen? (Just kidding - great tips!)

Thanks

Well I finished the pen last night. It took me a long time to do it. I didn't get all of the scratches out. I tried an assortment of things to get it done. It looks much better than it did originally. It doesn't look new, but I am pleased with the looks. By holding the nib to do the body, I must have slightly bent the tine. I had already smoothed it previously, after I got it. I had it perfect. Now I am having to re-smooth it. It writes good now, but not as good as before. I am trying to get it the way I had it. My friend gave me some lapping film. I think I prefer the buffing stick. For a light touch, the lapping film is good. But not for a start from the beginning type job. The clip looks exceedingly good on the pen. I even shined the top of the nib. Now just to get that slight pesky little scratch or two out, and I will be done. (and try to do it without over smoothing the nib too)

Thanks

Well I think it sure looks better. It is a great little writer.

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KKay For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 18th, 2016), Mr. Reader (April 22nd, 2016), Nevermore (May 6th, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (April 18th, 2016), StWm (April 19th, 2016)

Thanks

Well I think it sure looks better. It is a great little writer.
    Glad to hear it worked out.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to PenH For This Useful Post:

KKay (April 19th, 2016)

Thanks

Yes indeed. To top it off, after I re-tuned the nib, and smoothed it...it is probably a little better than before. So I also got some smoothing practice. So I've smoothed 3 pens a bit. (this once twice) So I have had smoothing practice 4 times in total. This Sheaffer nib had a small chip on the tip of it. That is one reason it was scratchy. It looked like a v was snipped off the end. You could not see it without magnification. Plus you had to hold it up to a bright light, to see it, even with magnification. This nib said it is 14K. I have never used a gold nib before. That may be one reason I like it so much. I tested it against 3 of my best writers. It won. This nib doesn't say the size. But it would have to be a medium nib. It is a very wet nib, and borders on being a broad. It was that way when I got it. I tried several swipes to narrow the tip a little. But didn't want to change the profile. It never had a ball on the end of it. It may be between a medium/stub. Regardless, it writes extremely well for me. I love it.