Thread: Staedtler Initium Lignum EF

Thanks

Default Staedtler Initium Lignum EF

Everyone's first reaction to this is: "Staedtler makes fountain pens?"

It was my reaction too, and it might have something to do with the fact I managed to snag a used one for less than half the mrsp. It was a terrible writer when I got it, but it cleaned up okay.

I wanted to post about it because it's not a popular pen, and the nib has me intrigued. It's a bit springy, but also very solid. My falcon is an egg-shell by comparison. When I sketch with it, it comes very close to what ballpoints do for me (which is good, or at least interesting). I can really sketch with it, light pressure makes the lines not just thin, but dry. It might be this pen needs adjusting - it needs a few licks to start properly - but once it gets going it's fine. So, I like it as-is for drawing.

The light shading almost looks like pencil, but it's all the Stedtler. The ink is what it came with, can't say for sure what.

That's just a difference in pressure, of course there's more control when you're pulling the pen towards yourself.

I like the look of it. I usually despise metal sections, but the matte finish on this one is enjoyable. It's a good pen that I'll keep in rotation because of the range of line it can produce.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Candioa For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (May 5th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (May 5th, 2016), titrisol (September 23rd, 2016), top pen (May 7th, 2016)

Thanks

Default Re: Staedtler Initium Lignum EF

Nice review been watching Staedtler pens for a while and been hoping they come out with something a little more eye catching deviating from the very conservative of the "initium" lines. However there has seem to little development to the line in the last 3 years since they came out, which is a shame.

Thanks

Thanks for introducing this pen to us. Are you sure this is a "Lignum"? - as the name implies, Staedler used this designation for their wood-barreled pens, whereas the "Resina" and "Metallicum" refer to the respective materials. Also, did you feel you got your money's worth? It seemed to me the prices are high when compared to the somewhat similar Faber-Castell offerings, but then I have no practical experience with the Staedtler pens...
    BTW - nice GOAT!!

Thanks

yup, it may be hard to tell from the photos but the barrel is wood. It's the maple, so it's quite pale.

I did manage to get my money's worth, but I got it on an auction site and paid less than half of what it goes for new. If I had to pay full price...I wouldn't. It's a nice pen and I love it, but I have to think really hard before spending over $250 on a pen and there's no way this would make the cut. I could get pens with a gold nib for that price.