Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New pen... what is wrong with me?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default New pen... what is wrong with me?

Hi folks,

I recently acquired a new pen. A Franklin Christoph no less. Problem is... I'm not loving it. This isn't a buyer's remorse thing, though the pen was scarily expensive. I don't know what it is really. I just emptied it and put it back in the box. There are about a couple of weeks left on the return policy and I am not sure if I want to avail myself of that service (I think I would feel terrbibly guilty about it actually). So, what to do? The pen is a good shape and size for my hand, although the step down from barrel to section is a little noticeable. Perhaps it is the nib. It's a medium italic, but it is so dry. Using Shin Kai, which is a lovely shade, it goes down looking like that awful stuff you get in Parker cartridges.

In a lather of indecision, seeking opinions.

Thanks

Default Re: New pen... what is wrong with me?

If you don't love it, return it.
    If you aren't sure you don't love it, try it with another ink. Then if you still don't love it, return it. That's an expensive decoration.
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

3. The Following User Says Thank You to distracted_mom For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 11th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

So difficult to find suggestions. I think you know that I have, I believe, an identical pen. Same nib. Not dry, to my usage.

I've only had a couple pens grow on me; usually, it is right as rain from the start, or I know that I'm not having fun. I wish there was more of a pen community down there that you felt you could sell to, because I know shipping costs make it more difficult to off-load. Both Scott and Jim at F-C seem to be very decent guys, and I think they'd want you to be happy - why be hesitant about returning, unless it is the shipping? Do you feel you could mess with the nib/feed a little to make it a tiny bit wetter?

Best of luck. No one should not enjoy their pen!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

It's a good candidate for you to practice on. With the feed facing you put your fingers on the nib body and gently use to thumbnails to spread the tines apart ever so slightly. Test and repeat in small steps until you get the wetness you want. I like to use the pen for a full day between adjustments just to make sure I am heading in the right direction and have not yet arrived at the destination.

Thanks

Jon, it's the not the shipping costs in this case. I guess I feel like it's a bit of a cheek more than anything. The F-C guys seem a decent lot and I don't want to mess them about at all.

Jar, I'm a bit scared of doing that with a Masuyama nib. In fact I've never done any nib adjustments, on any pen.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

I would suggest trying a few different inks maybe Shin Kai just does not go with this pen for you.
    Perhaps try to write with less pressure than usual to see it that makes a difference.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

gregamckinney

I definitely concur with the recommendations to try other ink/s before giving up on the pen.
    I have had more than one pen that was completely unusable with a particular ink but fantastic with others.

However, if the pen is no better for you once you've tried it with other inks, return the pen, and don't feel bad about it. That's what return policies are for.

Best Regards, greg

Thanks

I would try a wet ink like Ama iro or Kon peki to see whether the pen gets better, if not return it without a bad conscience. Life is too short for these sentiments, its just a pen. Vera

Thanks

Nothing is wrong with you! Like a lot of us, you just want a pen to perform a certain way To Your Liking.
    The only advice I can give is that after all the suggestions on changing inks, if you are still not impressed with this pen, take advantage of their return policy.
    Some places are strict about not allowing returns after inking up, so if it is allowed: do it. Maybe the people you bought it from would have a good idea of what else they could send you in replacement? Like pen Or nib wise.
    Good luck and let us know what you decide ...

Thanks

I think the ink suggestion is good one. I never really imagined it would make much difference until recently when I was surprised how much it did. There's nothing wrong with returning it, They offer the service to occasionally be used and I wouldn't feel bad about using it. No reason why you can't re-buy the pen in few months if it grows on you in a different nib size. I ended up doing it a month ago and I think I appreciate it far more now then the first time I accept the first time along it was probably the right pen simply at the wrong.

Thanks

Okay, thanks guys and gals for setting me straight. I unpacked the pen (I had already sealed into a postal box) and inked it with Diamine Asa Blue. It is much better. As I said before, the pen is very nice in design.

Now, I have another problem. Despite using silicone grease I still got ink on the section threads, and I cannot find an easy way to get it off. Is this normal? I ask because the only other eyedroppers I've had were vintage BHR things, so I couldn't see the threads or if they had ink on them.

By the way, the pen is the antique glass (coke bottle) finish, so not exactly conservative. However, I want to use it as an eyedropper but I noticed that when filled with the Shin Kai earlier the glass effect of the barrel is largely lost unless under strong light.

Thanks

I think even with the silicone grease you get some ink mixed into the threads, but it still shouldn't leak. If you are going to switch inks, I'd flush the pen and then wipe as much of the old grease/ink off the threads with some paper towel/tissue. Obviously, the threads inside the barrel will probably be the most difficult to clean. It's the world of ED, and you just don't see it until you have a transparent pen.

As to the "glass effect", well, that is just how it is, unless you put a very light, transparent ink in there. And you don't want to do that, do you? I don't.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

That's true, I want a nice vibrant ink to be honest. Maybe I was just panicking a little. It was a lot of money and I didn't really expect any issues. Turns out they were mostly user mistakes. I am such a noob still.

One other thing, apart from why you are still up at 1am Jon, is what do people do with the leather zip thing that comes with these pens?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    One other thing, apart from why you are still up at 1am Jon, is what do people do with the leather zip thing that comes with these pens?
    To the former, I'm about ready to pack it in, but I'm a nightowl by nature, and don't have to go to work in the morning tomorrow (and I can start on my home duties a little later). As to the latter, I keep a small quantity of diamonds and other precious stones in it.

Actually, I don't use it often, but sometimes put a pen in one if I'm throwing an extra in my bag and my 3-pen case is full.

~ Benjamin Franklin

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

HughC (May 12th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Well, since you have had your first question about the pen answered, how about the second: What is wrong with EOC???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I keep a small quantity of diamonds and other precious stones in it.

Actually, I don't use it often, but sometimes put a pen in one if I'm throwing an extra in my bag and my 3-pen case is full.
    Gosh! Aren't you worried about the diamonds scratching up your pens?!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BayesianPrior For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (May 12th, 2016)

Thanks

You might also contact F-C tell them you like the pen but the nib seems to be giving your concern and that it is too dry. See if they will exchange it for a different one for you. I had one of their Masuyama Medium Italics and I stupidly sold it, I still miss that nib to this day. was wonderfully smooth and perfectly wet.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

EOC,

You seem to be a very nice person.
    But I very rarely (never?) read a post where you're telling us that you're happy with a pen that you buy.
    There is always something that you don't like or some expectation that were not met.

Maybe there is something in common with your expectations about the pens that you're about to get, which then causes disappointment when you actually get it.

If I were you, I'd spend some time to figure that out.
    So next time you'd at least know more about which pen will make you happy.

Just a friendly suggestion.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (May 16th, 2016), jar (May 12th, 2016), stub (May 12th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BayesianPrior View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I keep a small quantity of diamonds and other precious stones in it.

Gosh! Aren't you worried about the diamonds scratching up your pens?!
    My pens are diamond-encrusted. It's a battle royale in that pouch!

~ Benjamin Franklin

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

HughC (May 12th, 2016)

Thanks

I tend to react similarly to EoC in regards to new equipment. It doesn't take long to determine like/dislike.

I've had four F-C italic nibs, the steel in all three sizes, and all three ran on the dryish side. I loved all three, but often wished they ran with a bit more flow. Also had the gold broad italic which ran *significantly* wetter, too wet for my taste actually.

I've also reached the point where I won't put up with any barrel/thread step down larger than say a Meisterstuck, which is about as seamless a transition as you can get barring a threadless design.