Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-cursive Editorial

Thanks

Default Anti-cursive Editorial

This Trenton, NJ newspaper editorial speaks against handwriting education. "Forcing students to learn penmanship has about as much value as making them learn how to repair a stagecoach," they say...

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/...ys_digita.html

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

KKay (September 3rd, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Anti-cursive Editorial

If there is not enough time during school hours, add school hours.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

BCDDiggler (August 17th, 2016), cajunphil (August 18th, 2016), Fouez (August 19th, 2016), Hawk (August 17th, 2016), Jon Szanto (August 17th, 2016), welch (August 28th, 2016)

Thanks

No big deal. You can learn to read cursive in about 15 minutes, if the writer has done his/her part.

You can repair a stagecoach too, if your parents have taught you some basic mechanical and woodworking skills.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

amk (September 3rd, 2016), Brilliant Bill (August 17th, 2016), cajunphil (August 18th, 2016), Hawk (August 17th, 2016)

Thanks

No big deal. You can learn to read cursive in about 15 minutes, if the writer has done his/her part.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post

You can repair a stagecoach too, if your parents have taught you some basic mechanical and woodworking skills.
    I agree!

Thanks

They can't read analog clocks either. Never mind vernier scales.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (August 17th, 2016), Hawk (August 17th, 2016), KKay (September 3rd, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (August 23rd, 2016)

Thanks

Struggling to find a polite response . . . sheeple.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

KKay (September 3rd, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

This is my favorite part of this editorial, and I agree completely: "When it comes to setting curriculum priorities, most of the time we would rather leave decisions in the hands of the teacher and the local administration than in the hands of legislators."

I have written about this elsewhere. Rarely is legislation about curricular requirements in schools (written by lawmakers, not educators) motivated primarily about actual deep interest for the futures of the children. More often it is political grandstanding, and at worst, meddling in matters beyond their professional understanding.

ps: I am a teacher.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

cajunphil (August 18th, 2016), Dragonmaster Lou (August 18th, 2016), Dreck (August 19th, 2016), Frank (August 19th, 2016), Jon Szanto (August 18th, 2016), R.A. Stewart (August 18th, 2016), welch (August 28th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,591 Times in 699 Posts

From the linked editorial: "Admit it, grownups: How many of us spent the entire third grade grappling with those weird Q's and G's, and then never, ever used cursive again in our lifetimes? "

Third grade only? I wonder what year that was. In the 1960s we had cursive as a graded subject from grades 3 to 6. Actually, it would have been grades 2 to 6, but I had just moved from a state where they started in third grade, so I had to do some catching up. And although I've been required to print for certain purposes, such as keeping log books in the Navy, I never gave up on cursive entirely.

I'm willing to consider the possibility that there is not enough class time to spare on learning to write cursive (which takes considerably more than fifteen minutes). Indeed, I'm not sure how well most people can learn to read it in that time. But that could lead to a discussion of how wisely the rest of their classroom time is being spent. In speaking with teenagers, I am more frequently worried by their knowledge of history, geography, and what we used to call civics than by their inability to read longhand.

I suspect that there really is time for adequate longhand instruction, and what the students do with it later in their lives is up to them. But it's only part of a much bigger picture.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

amk (September 3rd, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

The attitude that the writer expresses explains why we also give students no time for recess, art, or music (except for marching band for the football).

They probably wonder why kids have an obesity problem, too.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

cajunphil (August 18th, 2016), dr.grace (August 21st, 2016), fountainpenkid (August 19th, 2016), Jon Szanto (August 18th, 2016), welch (August 28th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    This is my favorite part of this editorial, and I agree completely: "When it comes to setting curriculum priorities, most of the time we would rather leave decisions in the hands of the teacher and the local administration than in the hands of legislators."

I have written about this elsewhere. Rarely is legislation about curricular requirements in schools (written by lawmakers, not educators) motivated primarily about actual deep interest for the futures of the children. More often it is political grandstanding, and at worst, meddling in matters beyond their professional understanding.

Teachers are the best people!! Thanks for what you do.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

Dragonmaster Lou (August 18th, 2016), Frank (August 19th, 2016), JFB (November 26th, 2017), R.A. Stewart (August 18th, 2016), TSherbs (August 18th, 2016), welch (August 28th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    The attitude that the writer expresses explains why we also give students no time for recess, art, or music (except for marching band for the football).

They probably wonder why kids have an obesity problem, too.
    I know what you mean, but I rather think that this is the result of budgets (insurance, legal fees, construction, benefits especially) increasing faster than communities are willing to go, and with high stakes testing becoming the primary way that schools and educators are evaluated--and that was a political decision from lawmakers, not educators. High stakes testing doesn't give a s-- about the arts or PE. This is one of the several problems with the testing.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

The Stupid marches on.

This article reflects the thinking of what I call the D.U.P.E.s--the Dominant Utilitarian Paradigm Enactors. Common Core states an emphasis on "preparing students for the workplace".

My 10 yr old and I went through the book Cursive Logic over a summer for a few minutes a day, a few days a week. He can now read and write in cursive.

Priorities.
    Last edited by VertOlive; August 18th, 2016 at 07:35 AM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Fouez (August 19th, 2016), Frank (September 4th, 2016), JFB (November 26th, 2017), Jon Szanto (August 18th, 2016), KKay (September 3rd, 2016), southpaw52 (August 19th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    The Stupid marches on.

My 10 yr old and I went through the book Cursive Logic over a summer for a few minutes a day, a few days a week. He can now read and write in cursive.

Priorities.
    My school still teaches connected writing (and I am glad that we do), but I am against lawmakers enacting requirements that directly dictate curriculum decisions. That, to me, is putting the unprofessional (your word "stupid") in charge. Let the professionals decide.

Thanks

But Common Core, and No Child Left Behind.

On paper, it may look good to "the stupids" but it never works that way in the real world. Whether its taught in school or not, my children will learn cursive.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to sgtstretch For This Useful Post:

JFB (November 26th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

Check out Cursive Logic. It was originally a kickstarter project, now used by homeschoolers....
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

d3cadent (August 18th, 2016), Frank (September 4th, 2016), R.A. Stewart (August 18th, 2016), sgtstretch (August 18th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Check out Cursive Logic. It was originally a kickstarter project, now used by homeschoolers....
    Ashley wants me to pick that up for her, she doesn't remember much cursive, and has been enjoying watching me write with it.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to sgtstretch For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (August 18th, 2016)

Thanks

This Washington Post story offers a different perspective, including references to research that points to cognitive benefits of writing in cursive.

~Rich

32. The Following User Says Thank You to R.A. Stewart For This Useful Post:

welch (August 28th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by R.A. Stewart View Post
    This Washington Post story offers a different perspective, including references to research that points to cognitive benefits of writing in cursive.

~Rich
    Not exactly. The study was about handwriting (non-specific) versus typing. The study did not look at cursive versus printing. There is very little evidence that cursive has any neurological or learning benefit over printing. Learning cursive simply means that you learn cursive, which isn't a bad thing. But the degree to which people cling to it and value it is a cultural phenomenon, not a scientific or particularly educational (in terms of improving the quality of learning) one.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

welch (August 28th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,075 Times in 4,023 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post

Hear, hear! Teachers are my heroes, and always have been. I try to do them proud when I teach my private music students. Thank you, TSherbs, and any other teachers on the forum (I think Dreck is one).
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (August 18th, 2016), Dreck (August 19th, 2016), Frank (September 4th, 2016), welch (August 28th, 2016)