Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Identify Model No. of MB Pen

Yankelpen

Default Help Identify Model No. of MB Pen

Can anyone identify the model number of my MB Pen. See attached photos. Dimension: Length is 135mm. Width at its widest point, which is the gold band where "Montblanc-Meisterstuck" is engraved is 12mm. The pen was pruchased around mid to late 1980's, or possibley early 1990's. The only other engraving is "Germany" on the gold band that holds the clip. Any information would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Yankelpen; August 20th, 2016 at 06:03 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: Help Identify Model No. of MB Pen

Montblanc 144 classique. The most commonly faked Montblanc there is. My eyes aren't keen enough to tell if this one is genuine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gwgtaylor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,510 Times in 4,019 Posts

144R or old Classique it is, and an authentic bordeaux one by the looks of it's old original feed

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Original feed, original nib, original type converter, revised section. Section must be a replacement.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

Yankelpen

Thank you for reply. I am puzzled about your comment on the section having been revised. I have never had this pen serviced since I purchased it. How does this pen's section differ from an original one?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yankelpen View Post
    Thank you for reply. I am puzzled about your comment on the section having been revised. I have never had this pen serviced since I purchased it. How does this pen's section differ from an original one?
    Some of the Bordeaux ones came with a black section, IIRC the very earliest ones.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Only the very earliest ones though. Are you saying that Montblanc never used that nib/feed combination with a bordeaux section?

Thanks

I don't know if Montblanc never used the monotone nib with a bordeaux section. The original section of my first 144, bought in mid 1983, was black with plastic threads instead of metal. Sometimes the threads broke, and sometimes the front trim ring that the inner cap uses as a clutch ring, would come off, and the ring was hard to get to stay back on. Usually a new section was needed. Montblanc revised the section, making the front gold trim ring a threaded on item, and the section threads became metal. Also the converter was revised to a threaded type instead of a friction fit type.

When I sent one of my bordeaux pens to MB service because the trim ring had separated from the black section, the pen came back with the newer bordeaux section and my monotone nib was inserted into it. So, in a way they used the bordeaux section with a monotone gold nib.

Thanks

I've seen many pictures of bordeaux 144's that have monotone nibs and bordeaux sections. I must admit I haven't seen so many feeds in those pictures though. I thought they originally started with black sections then quickly revised it to bordeaux. That was even more likely if black sections were problematic.

Even if users didn't find their sections problematic, I can imagine that most would want a bordeaux section rather than a black one, as soon as they saw they were available. I know I would.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I've seen many pictures of bordeaux 144's that have monotone nibs and bordeaux sections. I must admit I haven't seen so many feeds in those pictures though. I thought they originally started with black sections then quickly revised it to bordeaux. That was even more likely if black sections were problematic.

Even if users didn't find their sections problematic, I can imagine that most would want a bordeaux section rather than a black one, as soon as they saw they were available. I know I would.
    IIRC the original one just used the same section/feed/nib assembly as the black pen. Likely just a cost saving decision at the time.

Thanks

I bought a bordeaux 144 in Pensacola in 1983 with a black section, and I bought a bordeaux 144 in a Left Handed Store in Boston in 1990 that had a black section. Perhaps they just palmed off the black sections on the left handed stepchildren. It must have taken Montblanc a while to redesign the section to remedy the weaknesses in it and make the sections body color.

Nevertheless, along with the Parker 51 the Montblanc 144 is my favorite pen of all. Like the 51 it always writes for me if I haven't let it run out of ink. No hard starting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    I bought a bordeaux 144 in Pensacola in 1983 with a black section, and I bought a bordeaux 144 in a Left Handed Store in Boston in 1990 that had a black section. Perhaps they just palmed off the black sections on the left handed stepchildren. It must have taken Montblanc a while to redesign the section to remedy the weaknesses in it and make the sections body color.

Nevertheless, along with the Parker 51 the Montblanc 144 is my favorite pen of all. Like the 51 it always writes for me if I haven't let it run out of ink. No hard starting.
    I hadn't heard anything about either a section weakness or redesign. Do you have any additional information about that?

Thanks

Original section threads were plastic. I found a few 144s with broken section threads. Later section threads are metal.

Gold trim ring on section was adhered. It was the clutch ring that made a friction fit with the inner cap, one reason why some inner caps would wear down. The trim ring had a tendency to break off, and even epoxy might not hold it on. A new section from Montblanc was the usual remedy. The newer sections have the trim ring thread onto a metal piece. It seems obvious to me that Montblanc was fixing some weaknesses. I have not read anything about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,754 Posts

Would a black 144/Classique have that red glow? An acquaintance just picked up two MB slip caps at an outdoor sale, and I'm trying to help him ID the things.

Just learned the dimensions:

length is 2.529 inches and the diameter: at base(widest portion of gold band)= .491, at tip (lower edge of gold clip=.356

Hope this helps, and hope I can help him!
    Last edited by Sailor Kenshin; August 29th, 2016 at 12:56 PM.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Would a black 144/Classique have that red glow? An acquaintance just picked up two MB slip caps at an outdoor sale, and I'm trying to help him ID the things.

Just learned the dimensions:

length is 2.529 inches and the diameter: at base(widest portion of gold band)= .491, at tip (lower edge of gold clip=.356

Hope this helps, and hope I can help him!
    No a black 144/Classique would not look red like the OP's pen does. You can see this one is clearly red by comparing it with the black top on the converter

Thanks

Was Sailor Kenshin referring to a red glow in the black pen when a light is snone into it? I have read of this before as a test of genuineness.

Thanks

Was Sailor Kenshin referring to a red glow in the black pen when a light is snone into it? I have read of this before as a test of genuineness.
    Unfortunately that red glow is also common these days in fakes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    DO the fakes appear clear when photographed in IR?

Thanks

I now have no idea whether he was referring to the OP's Bordeaux pen, or the usual red glow of black Meisterstuck pens.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    DO the fakes appear clear when photographed in IR?
    No idea but I can assure you that if such a test became common the answer would be yes. The fakes need to pass any visual tests a common buyer is likely to use and they have shown themselves adept at adjust to meet every new anti-counterfeit attempt. The fakes need to pass all visual tests but there is no need for them to worry about functionality, reliability of after sales service.