Thread: Kanilea Pen Co

Thanks

Default Kanilea Pen Co

I ran across the Kanilea Pen Co website this morning. The pens are gorgeous. I'm curious if anyone has any experience with them or has seen a pen in person? I'm very tempted to buy one, but I can't find any reviews, and $400 is quite a bit to risk. Thanks!

Paul

Thanks

Default Re: Kanilea Pen Co

I saw them at the DC pen show. The material of the pen is quite stunning, and packaging presentation is nice. But, personally, I don't see the appeal. They use the standard steel JOWO nibs, cartridge/converter. The only thing unique really is the material. If it was $250-300 maybe, but at $400, you're getting pretty close to things like an Aurora Optima, some Namikis, some of the Visconti Homo Sapiens. Plus I can get 2 custom pens from guys like Brooks or Newton for that price.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sgtstretch For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (August 26th, 2016)

Thanks

I noticed the nibs as well. I sent them an email this morning to see if they sold the pen without the nib. We will see what they say.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

I bought one in DC. I loved the beauty of the material - which I believe was created by Jonathan Brooks. The material is hand poured. The pen comes with a handmade box created from a hard wood found in Hawaii.

I had the nib modified because it was boring. But the material makes the pen. Pictures can't grab the depth of it.

On a side note - the husband and wife have thought thru the marketing of the pens. They had a great set up in DC and hired people to help them market the pens. Being this is a mom and pop business, I'm sure this plays into the cost of the pen.

Just personal beliefs - I like supporting pens companies here in the states. As a small business owner, I like to pay it forward.

In the end, I got a great pen for the money.

I bought the sunset pen. Reminds me of the sunsets at home.

Ocean themed pens.

Sunset themed pens

These pens were designed after a gecko they saw at a hole in the wall restaurant.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (August 29th, 2016), Faustine (September 19th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (September 18th, 2016), mandrbeck (August 29th, 2016), Spoonage (December 20th, 2016), VertOlive (August 29th, 2016)

Thanks

Default Kanilea Pen Co

Here's a closer pic of the sunset pen.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (August 29th, 2016), Faustine (September 19th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (September 18th, 2016), mandrbeck (August 29th, 2016), MY63 (August 29th, 2016), VertOlive (August 29th, 2016)

Thanks

Thanks for the great info! You are right about supporting local pen companies. I am leaning toward buying one. I just can't decide between the sunset and the sandy beach pen. They are both gorgeous. As for the nib, I ordered a gold from FC and had it shipped to Pendleton Brown. Whichever I decide will get a broad BLS.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mandrbeck View Post
    Thanks for the great info! You are right about supporting local pen companies. I am leaning toward buying one. I just can't decide between the sunset and the sandy beach pen. They are both gorgeous. As for the nib, I ordered a gold from FC and had it shipped to Pendleton Brown. Whichever I decide will get a broad BLS.
    The sandy beach pen sold out at the show. It's a striking bright blue like the ocean. I was very taken by it. I had a hard time picking as well. Either way you can't go wrong.

If you buy one please update the thread. Would love to hear your impressions.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

mandrbeck (August 29th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

I got the Maui Makai and while my buddy Dan paid before me I still committed 1st lol so I kinda was the 1st customer.

I love the material and the story behind it. The thought that went into every detail is fascinating and deep. Build quality and ease of maintaining it is a big bonus as well as the pen being a good size for me. The longer section and smooth threads, the full body with no clip, the perfect logo medallion on top that is made of sterling silver.

AND yes it is a Jowo steel nib I really was not bothered. For some it is an issue and feeling at that price it should be a gold nib and I get that. I know this nib setup is super easy to swap. I can have any #6 Jowo nib and put it in there. So for me to get a pen that is beautiful to my eye, fits my hand so well and is clip less with a clean look that I can swap out nibs at any time with ease and no help. Well that is what really sold me.

It is not cheap in price but it is not cheap in its build quality or attention to detail. To me it shines bright and is a welcome asset and pleasure to my rotation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by earthdawn; August 29th, 2016 at 06:11 PM.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (September 1st, 2016), Faustine (September 19th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (September 18th, 2016), mandrbeck (August 29th, 2016), MY63 (August 29th, 2016), Spoonage (December 20th, 2016), VertOlive (August 29th, 2016)

Thanks

Placed my order today! Now the wait begins. I'm hoping it really won't take 8-10 weeks. I'll post a review once it's here.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mandrbeck For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (September 18th, 2016), Faustine (September 19th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (September 18th, 2016), laurielindly (October 1st, 2016)